Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From reading, I understand to fully setup the dahua starlight camera ivs etc features one needs to plug the camera into their main home network to configure before plugging into the nvr's dedicated ports. Can I do the opposite and connect a spare notebook directly to the nvr's dedicated camera ports and then the cameras stay on their own private network and the nvr and notebook have full access to all the cameras at once? Likewise, if I purchase a seperate pc with an i7 and blueiris, can I plug that into the private network and both devices record?

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Regarding POE vs Non-POE, in looking at some videos, it looks like the Non-POE NVR has only a single network plug on the back. Does that mean that while I could still have a private network for the cameras, technically all the traffic will be going over my main network? I want a really quiet nvr and I don't want the cameras on my main network. If I buy the POE version, can I just unplug the extra fan and mount my other poe switches elsewhere around the house and then I just use a one or two cables from the nvr to the external poe switches?

Tim Briggs

n3wb
Reaction score
A bit of help, tutorial or just point me to the RTFM page :). Equipment - 5216 16 P 4kS2 POE NVR, from Andy, works great, 3 camera 2 bullets and 1 dome, from Andy, work great.
I want to run 1 eth cable from the NVR to a POE switch - 1st floor (NVR) is upstairs. Then hang off that switch (unmanaged trendnet POE switch the 3 cameras.
When One camera sits off switch perfect, Two or more only one works.
All cameras work great when on the NVR.

What would make this work? Such as get an undamaged non POE switch, between POE port on the NVR connect to POE switch. (2) get a 'managed' poe switch, connect to NVR and 3 cameras on the managed poe switch.
Other suggestions.

Thanks very much.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
A bit of help, tutorial or just point me to the RTFM page :). Equipment - 5216 16 P 4kS2 POE NVR, from Andy, works great, 3 camera 2 bullets and 1 dome, from Andy, work great.
I want to run 1 eth cable from the NVR to a POE switch - 1st floor (NVR) is upstairs. Then hang off that switch (unmanaged trendnet POE switch the 3 cameras.
When One camera sits off switch perfect, Two or more only one works.
All cameras work great when on the NVR.

What would make this work? Such as get an undamaged non POE switch, between POE port on the NVR connect to POE switch. (2) get a 'managed' poe switch, connect to NVR and 3 cameras on the managed poe switch.
Other suggestions.

Thanks very much.
The TrendNet PoE switch is plugged into which Ethernet port on NVR?

One of the 16 PoE port or the single Ethernet port (WAN)?

Tim Briggs

n3wb
Reaction score
Single Eth for network is connected to my network.
The trendnet switch is connected to the camera POE's

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Single Eth for network is connected to my network.
The trendnet switch is connected to the camera POE's
I don't think it will work this way since it already provided the 16 ports on NVR and you cannot add more ports to the NVR PoE ports.

To make it work with a seperate PoE switch, you probably will need to plug the single Ethernet Port to the TrendNet PoE and also plug the network (from your router LAN port) to the TrendNet PoE as well too. Then you plug all the remaining camera into the TrendNet PoE ports.

Yes, you will be using up two PoE ports on TrendNet PoE for the NVR and the network (router).

Last edited:

Tim Briggs

n3wb
Reaction score
The home network is a netgear router r7000, the NVR WAN port is connected to the r7000. The trendnet poe swtich was connected to the NVR POE ports, only 1 camera works when I connect it this way)
I have tried the WAN port of the NVR to the Trendnet switch, then the switch to the router, cameras to the switch, this does not work.
I have also tried the NVR wan port to the router, and the trendnet switch to the router, no cameras connected to the POE ports on the NVR - no cameras connect.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have also tried the NVR wan port to the router, and the trendnet switch to the router, no cameras connected to the POE ports on the NVR - no cameras connect.

This is the way it should be set up. Is there a dedicated up link port on the trendnet? If so, thats the port that should be connected to the main router.

Basically, the individual port (not one of the 16 nvr poe channels) on the nvr needs to be connected to the main router. Then the up link (or if no up link... Just any of the ports) on the trendnet should also be connected to the router.

Then plug all of your cameras into the trendnet poe ports and it should work.

Did you set separate static ip addresses for each camera and also the NVR? Dahua ip cams ship with all the same ip address.... 192.168.1.108 and you need to plug them into your network (either the switch, router or directly to a computer.... NOT the nvr) one at a time and manually change that.

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you're using a separate Poe switch (trendnet) completely ignore the 16 poe ports on the nvr. Don't use them for anything.

The reason it didn't work when you plugged the trendnet into one of those 16 ports is because only one camera can be plugged into any one port. You were basically trying to plug all of your cameras into one port with that setup

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually depending on where the switch, router and nvr are located, if its easier, you can plug the nvr and the cameras all into the trendnet switch and then the switch to the router and that would work too.

Tim Briggs

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. I did suspect same IP problem. I have not yet reconfigured the IP's that's today's project.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's a little advice im going to steal from myself instead of retyping....

The first thing I do, a few seconds after I purchase a new network device, is add it to my master excel file of static ip addresses. I've got them blocked out in increments for certain devices (IP cameras are 50-69, desktops/laptops 20-29, phones and tablets 30-39, ect and DCHP pool is 100-254 so nothing gets conflicted when trying to add a new device) Then as soon as I get it I change the IP address at the device to match what I already mentally assigned to it in my master list. Now I know exactly what every device address is just by referencing my list. Makes things easy for me.

I used to use my router for reservations, but I ran into issues once with the router getting confused and switching the names I gave the device with the IP address. And I also realized if I ever switch routers I'll have to set it all up again. For me it's just easier to set it at the device.

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trying to decide between 5216 and 5416. Is 6tb really the limit? Anybody hook up an 8tb drive?

With 8 starlight cameras, how many days would I be able to store recording 24/7 on a single 6tb drive?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With 6 cameras running at 2MP/25 FPS (at H.265), I could get about 8 days on a single 4 TB, so I'd guess you could get a few more days with 6TB (even with two extra cams). Knock the FPS down to 15 or 20 and even more...

I'm pretty sure I've seen another thread somewhere on here where installed an 8TB drive.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
if I remember, nayr is using 8+4 TB in his NVR. I'll also buy a 8TB in addition to my 4TB. Or maybe 2 8TB ones, we'll see
Theoretically you could add HDD until 128PB once the barrier of 2TB is done.

Tim Briggs

n3wb
Reaction score
Well.
I took a computer and router, not internet connected. Told the new router that DHCP leases are in the 192.168.1.0/24 network. The router has 1.1 the computer has 1.2
A new dahua plugged into the router should be reachable correct? With The Config tool?
I't not, and I'm not sure why.
The cameras all work, so its me.

Frustrated in Az.