Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
However, I am also started to get worried about this 'dropped frames' issue. Is there an easy workaround/solution? Is everybody having this issue? Is anybody NOT having this issue?

If I just record 24/7, am I going to have 0 dropped frames but then on the timeline I'll still be able to easily see when there was motion?

Or just not use IVS for now, 'hope' for a fix, and use other motion detection features?
I've been watching some of my IVS files tonight and I'm not entirely sure I see any dropped frames. I will say though that I've switched up some of my IVS lines recently so I'm not sure when the person in my video actually crosses the line....but watching the videos I don't see anything out of the ordinary....

3-phase

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi 3-phase.

Have you already tested your new 5432-4KS2 regarding the missing frames in IVS?

Thanks.
Yes, same issue on the NVR5432-4KS2. No change with dropped frames. I use 24/7 recording on the SD cards so I don't worry too much about it.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Found another issue with this NVR. I have one camera playing up (Dahua 4431) - keeps getting restarted (whole day today). I setup NVR to alert via email on issues and it does.
Problem is that in the email it does not list the channel that issue occurred on:
This is a clear even after the camera re-connects
Alarm Event: IPC Offline Alarm Clear
Alarm input channel No.:
Alarm Stop Time(D/M/Y H:M:S): 07/06/2017 12:11:14
Alarm Device Name: NVR
Alarm Name:
Sender IP Address: X.X.X.X

The input channel is not populated. I have not named the alarm anything, so its empty. But kind of useless to see this and guess which camera went offline.
When looking on the actual NVR, I can see the events and which channel it was on

Last edited:

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just checked the NVR - images are there, but WebUI is not user friendly for that. Watching images play list in camera webui was fun - nice images captured

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a suuuppper long time lurker and now I'm putting a system together but I thought I would ask a question or two. I currently have a Dahua setup at my house (FLIR NVR but all Dahua cams) and I'm thinking about getting this model DHI-NVR52A16-16P-4KS2 What's the difference with the "A" in the middle?

Thanks!
The A letter must stand for America because I got an answer from Dahua North America saying that the correct model should have the A and models without it are international models.

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Andy is shipping me the NVR5432-4ks2 this week as I have more than 16 cameras now. I will be able to compare the two side by side. I also run 128GB SD memory in all of my cameras set to record 24/7 so I can easily recover non-choppy video if I need it within 3 days.

One of my goals for later this year is a backup NVR stored in a very strange location that will just record 24/7 with no events so the dropped frames really are not a huge concern for me. Maybe an NVR5232-4ks2 with two 8TB drives. We'll see.
Since you have the 5432 you have un eSATA port. Have you seen this Dahua NVR5832-16P-4KS2 and 8 TB drives?

Read the answer to question 2). Perhaps you might just backup to the eSATA port using a substream. The only issue is that eSATA cables have no more than 6 feet long, I think.
And who knows that would also be a way to avoid the missing frames issue.

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The question is Dahua aware of the issues, we not buying it from one of their authorized dealer and perhaps none of the customer that buy from authorized dealer aren't aware of this issue so it never get reported

Major of authorized dealer customers aren't like us, know every detail of tech products we buy. Pretty much all of thier customer probably just buy and had it installed by dealer then never again see dealer unless the camera is non functioning
I have asked Dahua North America (DNA) about this issue and the Tech Support answer says that is for OEM products and that "if the sensitivity and threshold is set correctly there should not be an issue". They also say that: the DNA product "on motion, should not be dropping frames"; there is "some buffering " in un IVS event but they had no complaints regarding missing frames.

Anyway, tech support answered they will forward my email up so they will be aware of this.

I have no reason to doubt this - I've got fast and straight answers from them. I find hard to believe that all NVR's that are OEM have the issue, even though Dahua's unauthorized resellers list claims that their products are "often times counterfeit, mal-functioning or defective, used, or non-compliant with the current regulations and standards".

Most likely, as above quoted, they are not aware of the problem.

I think I'll just wait some more time before I purchase un NVR.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I am having a skipped frame issue when motion is triggered but I don't have my NVR hooked up yet.

Right now I am recording to a SD card in the camera and playing back from the camera GUI is giving me skipped frame issue.

It may not be the NVR but the camera itself

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I am having a skipped frame issue when motion is triggered but I don't have my NVR hooked up yet.

Right now I am recording to a SD card in the camera and playing back from the camera GUI is giving me skipped frame issue.

It may not be the NVR but the camera itself
I have one 5216-4ks2 channel recording 24x7 and on external event triggers. The frame skipping happens with the external triggers. The camera is totally out of the loop on these.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I have one 5216-4ks2 channel recording 24x7 and on external event triggers. The frame skipping happens with the external triggers. The camera is totally out of the loop on these.
Is the external trigger connected into Alarm in on the NVR terminal?

I just found it strange that I am experiencing a skipped/dropped frame on camera itself and I don't have NVR hooked up yet.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Is the external trigger connected into Alarm in on the NVR terminal?

I just found it strange that I am experiencing a skipped/dropped frame on camera itself and I don't have NVR hooked up yet.
Yes, the trigger is hooked directly to the NVR. I actually have 3 channels record on the event, and they all drop frames. The simple answer for why it happens without the NVR hooked up is that the same recording software is used in both the camera and nvr. I'm not saying I know this, it's just the first thing that comes to mind.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I have asked Dahua North America (DNA) about this issue and the Tech Support answer says that is for OEM products and that "if the sensitivity and threshold is set correctly there should not be an issue". They also say that: the DNA product "on motion, should not be dropping frames"; there is "some buffering " in un IVS event but they had no complaints regarding missing frames.

Anyway, tech support answered they will forward my email up so they will be aware of this.

I have no reason to doubt this - I've got fast and straight answers from them. I find hard to believe that all NVR's that are OEM have the issue, even though Dahua's unauthorized resellers list claims that their products are "often times counterfeit, mal-functioning or defective, used, or non-compliant with the current regulations and standards".

Most likely, as above quoted, they are not aware of the problem.

I think I'll just wait some more time before I purchase un NVR.
With the amount of issues that these NVR's are having, why would you think that counterfeiting could not be a possibility? They are MASTERS at it. Anybody who has been in IT for a long time has seen this story before with either video cards, motherboards, ram and other components. Crappy fake capacitors come to mind, they ended up in Motherboards, TV's the list go on and on. Just about every brand name electronics Name has a counterfeit. For the record here i also suffer personally from a few flakey Dahua NVR's with no answer in sight. I also do not know or cannot prove that what is being sold in the Grey market is counterfeit. Keeping that thought in mind, there is a reason Dahua is making that statement. My last NVR purchase came from a USA official re-seller. It for the most part has been stable and without the skipping, rebooting issues. I have the exact same model i got last year and I would like to chuck it out the window. That was a oem and the company i got it from dropped the dahua line because of all the issues they were having.
Here is a insight to the great effort that happens in counterfeiting overseas. Its a bit dated but WOW makes you wonder.
The 5 Most Insane Examples of Chinese Counterfeiting

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Who knows, but with Andy, it sounds like he's buying directly from Dahua.

I love my Dahua cameras, but this NVR experience hasn't been fun.

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
10TB Purple drive came. Works fine with NVR. Opened up the nvr to install, wow is that motherboard small, the case is mostly empty and just space for the drives. Nice large heat sink on the chip. I have the single fan 5216 Non-POE. It's not silent. I wouldn't call it loud, but I don't want to use quiet either. Sitting right at it, you hear it, but at 10' away I can just barely hear it (and that's with the cover off right now) It's not the roaring jet engine that my 7yr old 16ch Qsee sounded like. I only have 3 cameras recording so far 24/7 and it's heat sink is warm to the touch.

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I'm trying to experiment with IVS. I've set it up in the camera. However, I can't seem to configure anything in my nvr5216. On the generals tab I do NOT have that enable IVS checkbox at the bottom like andy shows earlier in this thread. I have 7/21/2016 firmware. Others have same issue, yet I don't find any fix for that. Also, when I go into IVS event in nvr, select a channel, I get that warning about configuration, but nothing else I do in that screen actually saves. I pick a channel, click enable, click record, etc, click apply, ok, etc, then come back and it's all gone. Any ideas?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You couldn't do ivs in the nvr with that firmware. You have to do it on the camera's web page.

With the new firmware i can now manage ivs on each camera straight from the nvr

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am setting up IVS in the camera.
  1. Enabled IVS in smart plan
  2. Created a rule, and was able to name it
  3. Click to add a line, and I draw a line on the screen
  4. Click record
  5. Click save, and then the line goes away, but I have a saved rule.
  6. I also went into cameras record schedule and have it set to general, motion and alarm 24/7
  7. In the camera playback, I see green at the bottom and I can playback video, but don't see motion events within the green.
On the NVR
  1. I do NOT see an enable IVS in my System - General screen like some others do
  2. On the playback screen of the nvr I see green below since I'm recording 24/7, but don't see any IVS events.
  3. I also tried the NVRs web interface and no luck there either.
How does one test IVS?
I thought I was suppose to be able to see the IVS lines on the camera web interface and they would flash when triggered? As soon as I save my rule, the line goes away and I can never bring the lines back up again.

I do see others are able to get IVS enabled (but not the lines configured) from within the NVR.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone know what menu the system performance graph is on. I swear I saw one but now I cant find it. It may be that they took it out in the newest Firmware that Andy provided?

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Who knows, but with Andy, it sounds like he's buying directly from Dahua.

I love my Dahua cameras, but this NVR experience hasn't been fun.
Finally I got an answer from Dahua Headquartes - China, unfortunately not good news.

To my question:
"I would like to buy the NVR 5416-16P-4KS2 and 10 cameras from one of the aliexpress shops Empire Technology Co., Ltd. or BEC Technology Co., Ltd..
I know that there are many Dahua counterfeit products sellers.
Would you please confirm me if those two shops are official sellers of Dahua international products?"

I received this reply:
"They are not official sellers of Dahua. We don’t sell products on aliexpress.
Would you please tell me you need the products for which country? I can introduce the corresponding salesman to you."

I understand I asked for "Dahua international produtcs" but if the answer says "We don’t sell products on aliexpress" and "They are not official sellers of Dahua", I think the conclusion can also be applied for the chinese products.

Everyone has to decide for himself but I will wait for Dahua's answer and buy the NVR in the seller they advise even if for twice as much. I already got a quote for NVR 5416-16P-4KS2 in Portugal for €750, taxes included. Anyway I will wait for Dahua to confirm me if they are an official seller.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Finally I got an answer from Dahua Headquartes - China, unfortunately not good news.
I received this reply:
"They are not official sellers of Dahua. We don’t sell products on aliexpress.
Would you please tell me you need the products for which country? I can introduce the corresponding salesman to you."
Did you actually expect a different response? They aren't going to admit that anyone else but their OWN distributors are legitimate, if they did there would be hell to pay. Andy purchases directly from Dahua. I'm not going to do the research for you, search these forums and find many posts supporting my statement.