Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And the app gives me a way lower quality than tiny cam pro.
For the iOS version of the Dahua app, there is a button you can press that toggles between viewing the camera's low-resolution sub-stream and the camera's main stream (full resolution).

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For the iOS version of the Dahua app, there is a button you can press that toggles between viewing the camera's low-resolution sub-stream and the camera's main stream (full resolution).
Which button is that? Nothing is labeled; at least on iDMSS Lite!

You damn kids and your unlabeled, cryptic buttons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For those of you using tinycam.. Some advice from the developer...

It is better to connect to IPC directly then via NVR if you use VPN. In this case you would be able to get more controls for your cameras in the app, e.g. 2-w audio and reboot camera commands are available only if you connect to IPC.

If you are not using VPN and going to make port forwarding on your router, then it is recommended to connect via NVR. It should be more secured since a lot of cameras (Dahua cameras as well) have security vulnerabilities. Do not allow your cameras to be accessible from Internet directly.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which button is that? Nothing is labeled; at least on iDMSS Lite!
I think it's the one that looks like a computer monitor/TV. Has a M looking line in the monitor/TV...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure Dahua and Hikvision both use the same app... The icons and text are a little different, but the button layout and functionality is almost the same, at least a few months ago when I had to use both for a little bit. :)

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I found it now.

Those two buttons that come up after the TV with the "M" or stock price chart are the same approximate bitrate and video quality, but I never actually finished going through all the settings on the camera, so have to do that.

I have been working on getting my VPN up on my EdgeRouter the last couple of weeks in the evenings and weekends, but now that is done. Yes, it was a big learning curve for me, but now I have a 41-page document with all the instructions, because I will never remember all that stuff and all the linux command strings!

Akguy25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, I found it now.

Those two buttons that come up after the TV with the "M" or stock price chart are the same approximate bitrate and video quality, but I never actually finished going through all the settings on the camera, so have to do that.

I have been working on getting my VPN up on my EdgeRouter the last couple of weeks in the evenings and weekends, but now that is done. Yes, it was a big learning curve for me, but now I have a 41-page document with all the instructions, because I will never remember all that stuff and all the linux command strings!
Will you share your EdgeRouter instructions?

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think it's the one that looks like a computer monitor/TV. Has a M looking line in the monitor/TV...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure Dahua and Hikvision both use the same app... The icons and text are a little different, but the button layout and functionality is almost the same, at least a few months ago when I had to use both for a little bit. :)
It's funny how much could be interpreted into a symbol
For me it is a symbol for "image". The same "mountainview" is used in Tapatalk if you are going to attach an image, or on digital cameras for landscape settings. So this is very common i think.

Dxue

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great replies and asking and answering the questions that I would have asked later when I got to that point. saved me a lot of trouble! Weird that googling for the answers didn't really give any good answers.

I love this community :).

BTW, I am not sure why, but i don't have any problems with tiny cam asking for the login information after i inserted it once on the main admin account. never touched any settings about that.
I also found out that the dahua app has different options that you cannot acces when you have screen orientation locked. the zoom option is only able to be turned on in landscape and can only be used in portrait (don't ask me why, might have to do with my sony z3 compact phone or the app, can't test it now). I can't acces any options in portrait, might be a bug in the app.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great replies and asking and answering the questions that I would have asked later when I got to that point. saved me a lot of trouble! Weird that googling for the answers didn't really give any good answers.

I love this community :).

BTW, I am not sure why, but i don't have any problems with tiny cam asking for the login information after i inserted it once on the main admin account. never touched any settings about that.
I also found out that the dahua app has different options that you cannot acces when you have screen orientation locked. the zoom option is only able to be turned on in landscape and can only be used in portrait (don't ask me why, might have to do with my sony z3 compact phone or the app, can't test it now). I can't acces any options in portrait, might be a bug in the app.
In portrait mode you are also not able to see all options on the iPhone iDMSS app. But you can slide the option icons and access the others that way.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's funny how much could be interpreted into a symbol
For me it is a symbol for "image". The same "mountainview" is used in Tapatalk if you are going to attach an image, or on digital cameras for landscape settings. So this is very common i think.
Thanks for the interpretation. Yes, I agree that makes sense to me now. I do find Tapatalk frustrating as well. :banghead: How do you explain the next two options once you click on the "view" button?

I think part of this is my age (48), as I grew up with mostly labeled buttons. And I am pretty technical, so this is frustrating for me as well. Interestingly, I always get mad at my mom when she cannot recognize the transport commands (play, pause, stop, etc.)!

Dxue

n3wb
Reaction score
nice, i was swiping the wrong row.
the only problem left is figuring out how to use the zoom function for the camera's other than channel 1. even with smartpss it always zooming camera 1

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will you share your EdgeRouter instructions?
I'm happy to share if it helps others. Here are my two documents I created for myself. The first explains the multiple subnet setup process, which is a piece of cake with the built-in wizards in EdgeOS. The second document covers (in grueling detail) the OpenVPN setup process.

Note that I have not restricted the default connections between the subnets, which means my cameras can access the internet, theoretically. However, I am not able to access the cameras through the IDMSS Lite app without engaging the VPN, because the default firewalls drop any packets trying to get into the WAN port, except for authorized, authenticated VPN clients. The only way my cameras would be "dialing home" is if they came with malware on them or malware was in the updated firmware I installed. I know that I need to restrict them further, and need to figure out the best way to do that without affecting the remainder of the subnet on which they reside.

Mark

Attachments

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I'm on the edge about getting one of these routers and while my NAS handles my VPN for me, something like this will just be nice to have access to.

Akguy25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm happy to share if it helps others. Here are my two documents I created for myself. The first explains the multiple subnet setup process, which is a piece of cake with the built-in wizards in EdgeOS. The second document covers (in grueling detail) the OpenVPN setup process.

Note that I have not restricted the default connections between the subnets, which means my cameras can access the internet, theoretically. However, I am not able to access the cameras through the IDMSS Lite app without engaging the VPN, because the default firewalls drop any packets trying to get into the WAN port, except for authorized, authenticated VPN clients. The only way my cameras would be "dialing home" is if they came with malware on them or malware was in the updated firmware I installed. I know that I need to restrict them further, and need to figure out the best way to do that without affecting the remainder of the subnet on which they reside.

Mark
Thanks! We appreciate your willingness to share

Racenut

n3wb
Reaction score
Ordered an NVR5216 from Andy's Aliexpress site based on the feedback I've read here. Already got a shipping confirmation, so far so good... hoping this will be a good choice for system upgrade. :)

Question... Are there any hardware differences between the 5208/5216/5232? The cost differences aren't much, so is it just licenses for more cameras?

Last edited:

Racenut

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried to order a couple more cameras to go with the new NVR and now Aliexpress wants me to send them a scan of my drivers license WTF?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tried to order a couple more cameras to go with the new NVR and now Aliexpress wants me to send them a scan of my drivers license WTF?
I Suggest using Pay Pal - if you are purchasing from Andy ( who iirc is currently on vacation ) this should work well.

Aliexpress can be a pita at times.

Question... Are there any hardware differences between the 5208/5216/5232? The cost differences aren't much, so is it just licenses for more cameras?
If w/o POE - then iirc no major hardware differences that I noticed from the spec sheet.
Suspect it is only firmware difference allowing more cameras to be displayed... so while not a proper license per se - in effect similar to one.

Last edited:

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the interpretation. Yes, I agree that makes sense to me now. I do find Tapatalk frustrating as well. :banghead: How do you explain the next two options once you click on the "view" button?

I think part of this is my age (48), as I grew up with mostly labeled buttons. And I am pretty technical, so this is frustrating for me as well. Interestingly, I always get mad at my mom when she cannot recognize the transport commands (play, pause, stop, etc.)!
Well, which one do you mean with "view"?