Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dunno what a rack case costs in the us, here you get a cheap one for about 60$.
Nayr's idea is also not bad. A 2U blind plate would also do the trick, I think you don't need often to get physical to it, after everything is attached. I'll attach 16 cables to the poe ports when it arrives and will have no need to get to it again.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another cheap option . Go to the hardware store and pickup a piece of 4" w X 20" l aluminum. Drill holes to line up with your rack use tamper resistant screws and put it in front of the NVR. They wont be able to slide it out.
Had the same in mind with the blind plate. Will use screws which will rotate unless you hold 'em from behind with a wrench. So you only have little space from the sides to put the wrench on the nut. So you'll need time, a wrench and a steady hand

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did anybody test if it also works with disks greater than 6TB? Like 8 or maybe 10TB? Dunno if the tech specs have been written when there wasn't any bigger than 6TB, or if it is a hard limit, which might be weaken with newer firmware...?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there's no limit you have to be concerned with; 48bit LBA is good for disks deep into the petabyte range before we hit another capacity ceiling.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could have been software limited by Dahua, so I'm asking if anybody tested yet :) For the "normal" case you are right, it shall work :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its not software limited, its running linux under the hood.. the NVR I just got rid of spec sheet said up to 4TB and it took a 6TB just fine..

and yes, its been tested.. I seen 10TB drives installed in em.. Install whatever you want, there is no limit on drive size.. here's someone with 8TB disks in em: Dahua NVR5832-16P-4KS2 and 8 TB drives

Love it when I have to repeat my self before it sinks in.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 5216 you've just got says 6TB in spec sheet, so I wasn't surprised that it worked in you review. Didn't see the other post with the 5832 before, so my concerns about size are gone. Now is the hard decision which drive to take... o_O

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yes, was also my thought. actually the 4TB seems to be the best with price/tb. 8 or 10TB would be very nice... maybe 4TB is enough to start and get a second bigger one when they become cheaper. While the disks in the 2 bay NVRs aren't in RAID it doesn't matter if they've diffeent sizes.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How can you stop the Dahua NVR from overwriting the static IPs that you assign your cameras?

I had set all my cameras with a static ip of 192.168.1.x and they all came on and worked on the nvr. Then after giving them names in smartpss, they stopped working and I noticed that it had changed their IP addresses??

The 2 that are working are hikvision that are on the IP address that I gave them.

Edit:
A hard reboot of the NVR seems to have fixed it but everytime I use SmartPSS to make a change it does it again for some odd reason.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
If I do not intend to utilize the PoE ports behind the 16-port NVR, the fan will not kick in, right?

It come in two different model, with or without PoE.

NVR5216-4KS2 - No PoE built in (You need to get a switch with PoE built in or other methods to power your cameras and connect all cameras plus this NVR to a switch)

NVR5216-16P-4KS2 - Comes with 16 PoE (There are 16 Ethernet port on the back and also have a fan to keep it cool)

It is easier to get a NVR with PoE ports already built in but sometime the fan that keep PoE circuit cool can be annoying and noisy unless you put in some place like a closet to block out the noise.

Bill

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Question for for the NVR5232-4KS2 and analog cameras. Will an analog camera with a balun on it to make it work with Cat 6 cable be able to see it if i plug into the POE Switch all Dahua camera's are plugged into?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Question for for the NVR5232-4KS2 and analog cameras. Will an analog camera with a balun on it to make it work with Cat 6 cable be able to see it if i plug into the POE Switch all Dahua camera's are plugged into?
No you need a hybrid/tribrid type dvr...dahua makes a bunch of them.

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok thanks, analog cameras on their way to daughters house

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok thanks, analog cameras on their way to daughters house
Why bother with the analogs, toss them out...at the very least you should be using 1080p cvi, its cheap enough...its a complete waste to spend any time on low res analog in 2017

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I do not intend to utilize the PoE ports behind the 16-port NVR, the fan will not kick in, right?
If you are going to get the NVR without PoE ports you'll only have the fan at the left site of the NVR. If you get the model with PoE ports you'll also have a build in power supply with a noisy fan, it doesn't matter if you utilize them or not.
I didn't take any measures yet to see which voltages the NVR gets. Would be nice to change the internal psu against an external power brick, like one from an old USFF Optiplex.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm testing around a little bit with my recently arrived NVR5232-16P-4KS2. Now I'd like to delete the default users... does anybody has luck with this or is it just an impossible to delete backdoor for DH? :)
iexplore_2017-03-12_19-24-16.png

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the default and 888 users on this NVR I believe can only login through the OSD; they are supposed to be YOUR backdoor when you forget the password..

Try typing a convoluted password in with only a mouse and you'll come to realize why they made these OSD only accounts; you cant delete em, but you can change the passwords.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the default and 888 users on this NVR I believe can only login through the OSD; they are supposed to be YOUR backdoor when you forget the password..

Try typing a convoluted password in with only a mouse and you'll come to realize why they made these OSD only accounts; you cant delete em, but you can change the passwords.
You are right. I just changed the 888888's password and wasn't able to logon with this credentials via web service. the "default" users password is not changeable, maybe this is the account which is always logged in locally, because it has only monitoring rights.