Dahua Starlight Recessed Dome PTZ (SD52C225U-HNI)

Dropnbassonu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayr @EMPIRETECANDY do either of you know the focal length when the aperture changes? For example, at 4.8mm it's obviously going to be f/1.6 letting in a ton of light. Is it f/1.6 from 4.8mm-20mm? 50mm? Is there a standard progression these Starlight cameras share? This one would be going into a location monitoring street activity with a streetlight nearby. I'd love to run it in color mode, but if I'm going to lose a ton of light it might not work. Also, since this doesn't have IR, would buying an external IR source work as well or better than onboard IR in the SD59225U-HNI? Is that basically the only operational difference between the 2? Obviously form factor is different as I prefer this recessed one better, but just wanna make sure I'm getting the correct one for my needs. On that note, what's the difference between these and the white face ptz? Just color? Specs look identical to me.

Edit: I wish there was a compare tool on the Dahua website. That would make things a lot easier...

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive noticed absolutely no degradation in performance at night when using full zoom or full wide; it appears its F1.6 all the way down.

obviously for PTZ's built in IR would be superior if you require it, espically for long distance..

The black face PTZ's have 15 degrees of uptilt, but other than that these should be the same hardware inside.. they take the same firmware it seems.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@nayr @EMPIRETECANDY do either of you know the focal length when the aperture changes? For example, at 4.8mm it's obviously going to be f/1.6 letting in a ton of light. Is it f/1.6 from 4.8mm-20mm? 50mm? Is there a standard progression these Starlight cameras share? This one would be going into a location monitoring street activity with a streetlight nearby. I'd love to run it in color mode, but if I'm going to lose a ton of light it might not work. Also, since this doesn't have IR, would buying an external IR source work as well or better than onboard IR in the SD59225U-HNI? Is that basically the only operational difference between the 2? Obviously form factor is different as I prefer this recessed one better, but just wanna make sure I'm getting the correct one for my needs. On that note, what's the difference between these and the white face ptz? Just color? Specs look identical to me.

Edit: I wish there was a compare tool on the Dahua website. That would make things a lot easier...
yes, you just check the catalog here, on page 22,23
http://www.dahuasecurity.com/download/2017_Q1_IP_VIDEO_PRODUCT_SELECTION_2.15_LOW.pdf

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nayr - after owning the camera for 6 or so weeks - do you still love it? I have 3 Dahua 2mp 12x PTZ cameras & think they are great. I am curious how much better the 25x version would be.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its the best I've had in this location; it still has a few annoying bugs with it and I havent gotten a microphone hooked up to it yet.. the fan is a lil loud but I havent had the dome on it, just naked heh.. I'll proabibly put the dome back on once I get the microphone mounted and the soffit material back up.

Responds really fast to my hardwird sensors, and they help alot to keep autotracking in check.. when tracking someone up to the door, it opens and triggers a preset that overrides autotracking and it dont spin around looking at wall for the object that just vanished.. if it were not for the sensors I'd probably disable autotracking.

Cant believe how good the image is at night w/no onboard IR, and its alot more stealthy from a distance now.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Its the best I've had in this location; it still has a few annoying bugs with it and I havent gotten a microphone hooked up to it yet.. the fan is a lil loud but I havent had the dome on it, just naked heh.. I'll proabibly put the dome back on once I get the microphone mounted and the soffit material back up.

Responds really fast to my hardwird sensors, and they help alot to keep autotracking in check.. when tracking someone up to the door, it opens and triggers a preset that overrides autotracking and it dont spin around looking at wall for the object that just vanished.. if it were not for the sensors I'd probably disable autotracking.

Cant believe how good the image is at night w/no onboard IR, and its alot more stealthy from a distance now.
How much was that pressure pad you have in front of the door? thinking one of those might be cool for triggering the front door cam.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nayr - Do you think there is a way to trigger the motion on this camera using either email or a home automation sensor?

I have a driveway alarm sensor which is hooked into my alarm panel. I have it sending emails & turning on outside lights based on time of day (with an ISY994 / Insteon). Any way to have some sort of network device be a trigger for this (or other) cameras?

I am using the Geovision VMS to handle my recordings.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nayr - Thats great!

I think that this command might work:

http://192.168.1.2/cgi-bin/ptz.cgi?action=[start]&channel=[1]&code=[GotoPreset]&arg1=[0]& arg2=[1]&arg3=[0]

Would work assuming its the right IP, channel 1 is the right video.

Preset 1 = driveway

So the driveway alarm goes off, the ISY as part of that program sends the HTTP string out on my network & the camera (I think) should point to Preset 1.

If I use a ISY motion sensor I can have a program so when it goes off it hits the HTTP string again but sends it to preset 2.

Very cool - this is like the poor mans Auto tracking! I will try it with my existing ipc-pd42212 PTZ

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well that didnt work & it is asking for a password (though thats good). Something isnt right in my url. This is from page 61 7.2.3

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmigriffon - That is pretty much what I am looking to do also. Can you share your HTTP address that you used?

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks! That is great. Only strange thing now is that I get a message saying OK but it is not changing the preset.

Its the right user/pass, right IP. The web page says OK but nothing happens (strange).

Any ideas why it would say OK but not change to the preset?