Dahua Starlight Recessed Dome PTZ (SD52C225U-HNI)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks! That is great. Only strange thing now is that I get a message saying OK but it is not changing the preset.

Its the right user/pass, right IP. The web page says OK but nothing happens (strange).

Any ideas why it would say OK but not change to the preset?
That's normal to say OK, verify that you actually have a preset created with that number

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the preset set on the camera itself (presets 1 to 5).

I did try the URL with a 01 & a 1 just in case it wanted two digits. Both times the page answered OK. Just no changing the camera. This is absolutely awesome (well once we get it working right) - this will make it very fun to play around.

EDIT - Web page

Attachments

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it possible my camera is older so it doesnt support the http api? my version information is attached.

Attachments

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the good news is that both @hmjgriffon and @nayr seem to scout the threads i have my eye on. I am now wondering if would have the ipc-hdw5231r-z or the one discussed in this thread, the sd52c225u.

Here is the situation;

Option 1:
Setup the "ipc-hdw5231r-z" and have it look at my front porch/car like below. The downsides are:
1) that I have to pull net CAT6 network cables via my attic, drill mounting holes
2) have the cam very noticable present on the front of my house.
3) Can only 'see' my front door and car, e.g. a static area.

Option 2:
Setup the sd52c225u below my soffit. The brown door between my front door and my car is where my power comes into my house (and where i have my CAT6 switch installed). So pulling a new cable from the soffit towards the switch would be like no work at all. It would look like this:

In the middle of the soffit you see an ugly LED light which i want to replace with new lights, if i install the PTZ there i have to redo the soffit anyway so better make it nice.

Another reason why i would want to switch to the (twice the price) PTZ is that we have a shady person scouting the area here, who's path i have highlighted below. The yellow line would be the FOV for the recessed PTZ, the black line is his path he takes. As you can see on the photo, there is a passage next to my car, the same is there where the line starts. So he drives (on his scooter or bike) via the black line through our hood.

The only question i have (if i go to this PTZ) if the angle would be 'wide' enough to see people approach my front door (the 10 feet pathway)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
So the good news is that both @hmjgriffon and @nayr seem to scout the threads i have my eye on. I am now wondering if would have the ipc-hdw5231r-z or the one discussed in this thread, the sd52c225u.

Here is the situation;

Option 1:
Setup the "ipc-hdw5231r-z" and have it look at my front porch/car like below. The downsides are:
1) that I have to pull net CAT6 network cables via my attic, drill mounting holes
2) have the cam very noticable present on the front of my house.
3) Can only 'see' my front door and car, e.g. a static area.

Option 2:
Setup the sd52c225u below my soffit. The brown door between my front door and my car is where my power comes into my house (and where i have my CAT6 switch installed). So pulling a new cable from the soffit towards the switch would be like no work at all. It would look like this:

In the middle of the soffit you see an ugly LED light which i want to replace with new lights, if i install the PTZ there i have to redo the soffit anyway so better make it nice.

Another reason why i would want to switch to the (twice the price) PTZ is that we have a shady person scouting the area here, who's path i have highlighted below. The yellow line would be the FOV for the recessed PTZ, the black line is his path he takes. As you can see on the photo, there is a passage next to my car, the same is there where the line starts. So he drives (on his scooter or bike) via the black line through our hood.

The only question i have (if i go to this PTZ) if the angle would be 'wide' enough to see people approach my front door (the 10 feet pathway)

you can throw option 1 right out the window, you'll be looking at the tops of heads and the detail will suck that far away and be worthless, unless that is just for an overview, even then, you're wasting a lot of effective distance. I'd go with option 2, maybe on the opposite side you are thinking, it can't be too far away but you need a shallow angle so you don't just see tops of heads. the PTZ only goes down to like 4.8mm I think, so it may or may not see what you want it to you'll need to get a camera to test with. maybe a turret zoomed just under half should simulate it decent enough.

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well the reason i have it at the current position (right) is that my door has its hinges on the left, so by placing the cam in the right corner, i can have it face directly towards the street and the faces of people who walk onto my porch. And i would also use ZWave to trigger certain presets btw.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Well the reason i have it at the current position (right) is that my door has its hinges on the left, so by placing the cam in the right corner, i can have it face directly towards the street and the faces of people who walk onto my porch. And i would also use ZWave to trigger certain presets btw.
love using zwave to trigger things.

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the PTZ only goes down to like 4.8mm I think, so it may or may not see what you want it to you'll need to get a camera to test with. maybe a turret zoomed just under half should simulate it decent enough.
How can i test this? I have absolutely no idea.. If i see the video by @nayr in this thread about the auto-tracking i wonder how far from his front door he has mounted his cam... That would make me decide if i go for this cam.

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh cool so that would be also my offset. And with auto tracking and 24/7 recording you would definately see people approaching. Thnx @nayr ! Would you also go for option 2 in my case?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looks reasonable to me, with a PTZ you dont really need the wide angle view.. might consider putting a motion sensor or something with it though incase autotracking fails and someone is at the door

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah thought about that also. Might also add some ir flood lights for night time watching.

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lying in bed got me thinking.. Do i really need the recessed dome, or is the ipc-hdw5231r-z, placed below my soffit, not enough? I just want to see who is approaching my house (and which dog shits in my front yard).. I don't think i need PTZ in front of the house.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Lying in bed got me thinking.. Do i really need the recessed dome, or is the ipc-hdw5231r-z, placed below my soffit, not enough? I just want to see who is approaching my house (and which dog shits in my front yard).. I don't think i need PTZ in front of the house.
Watch nayrs auto tracking vids and decide, of course that is not the end all be all, but it's pretty damn cool