Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW5231E-Z)

wiile

n3wb
Reaction score
Since the bullet has 4 IRs versus 2 in the turret, would you say the performance is better for the bullet in very low lit areas? In your videos, performance looks nearly identical.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Since the bullet has 4 IRs versus 2 in the turret, would you say the performance is better for the bullet in very low lit areas? In your videos, performance looks nearly identical.
Had both, the two IR from the turret is more than enough I'd say, one pair of the IRs in the bullet are listed as far and one listed as near, I didn't play with it that long to see if one was angled different or something but even in pitch dark I don't think you'd really need all 4.

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got my camera today and am totally stumped. I know i have to be doing something wrong. My NVR is Laview LV-KN988p84A4 192.168.254.x are all the cameras. I can hook the camera up to a computer and access the config that way . but am unable to get it to show up on my nvr. I have tried to set the ip address to one of the open ip's on my nvr but it get an error saying "iP address and default gateway are not in the same network segment!" . For the life of me i can't figure out what i am missing. Any ideas?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Got my camera today and am totally stumped. I know i have to be doing something wrong. My NVR is Laview LV-KN988p84A4 192.168.254.x are all the cameras. I can hook the camera up to a computer and access the config that way . but am unable to get it to show up on my nvr. I have tried to set the ip address to one of the open ip's on my nvr but it get an error saying "iP address and default gateway are not in the same network segment!" . For the life of me i can't figure out what i am missing. Any ideas?
what is the ip address and subnet mask for the NVR and what IP did you give the camera? Make sure the subnet mask matches as it can change the range of IPs available effectively putting it on a different segment, make sure it's the same mask and default gateway as one of the other cameras, screen shot of good camera and bad camera config would help.

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you need a gateway on 192.168.254.X
Sometimes the simplest response is the obvious answer. Thank you . This was exactly what the problem was. I was changing the ip and not also changing the gateway ip to be in the same range.

Reaction score
What's the model number of the junction box to use with this camera? I'm going to be mounting to aluminum siding.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I just got a 5231e-z and am having problems related to ivs tripwire. The firmware version is 2.460.0000.1, 2016-10-25. I can set up the tripwire rules ok directly on the camera, but that's about the end of what works correctly. Here are two of the problems:

1. The rules are not displayed on any of the interfaces in live view (logged into the camera, web interface, smartpss, or local monitor).
2. The ivs setup cannot be modified from anywhere except when logged into the camera.

All of the above works ok with the chinese market cameras I have. Looking for feedback with either the same or other firmware versions.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the latest firmware is in the first post, and they all work for me.. Did you enable the IVS in SmartPlan?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pan/Tilt/Rotation Range: Pan:0˚~360˚; Tilt:0˚~90˚; Rotation:0˚~360˚

Straight from the spec sheet, it has full articulation.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ffs, you can mount it any friggin direction in any orientation you damn well please.. whats so hard to understand about this?

Articulation within the housing? no idea what ur even suggesting with that.. only the lens inside moves.

IMAG0779.jpg

Cameras, point em at what you want to watch.. the mount accommodate you, who'd du thunk?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
the latest firmware is in the first post, and they all work for me.. Did you enable the IVS in SmartPlan?
Did I enable IVS in SmartPlan? NO! With it enabled the rule lines show up. Doesn't solve the other problems.

On the firmware, I saw the shipped version in the first post and didn't notice the link for the upgrade. I'm hesitating, however, because the upgrade link says it's for PAL and my camera is NTSC with no option to change it. I can't decide if it doesn't matter or I'd be taking a stupid risk to try it.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did I enable IVS in SmartPlan? NO! With it enabled the rule lines show up. Doesn't solve the other problems.

On the firmware, I saw the shipped version in the first post and didn't notice the link for the upgrade. I'm hesitating, however, because the upgrade link says it's for PAL and my camera is NTSC with no option to change it. I can't decide if it doesn't matter or I'd be taking a stupid risk to try it.
Quoting others here that know, for IP cameras, PAL / NTSC does not matter when recording digitally. It only matters with analog equipment. If you record with a pc and blue iris or use an nvr, there are no issues.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My concern is if loading PAL-specific firmware on an NTSC camera will produce a brick. I don't care which it is in the end, just that it works.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any strobe/siren recommendations for this camera? Mine ship this week.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 4 Turret models similar to the bullet. They are awesome in the dark with wdr on? I had to turn it on within the camera. Haven't figured out turning it on and off with Blue Iris yet. I just set up a schedule in each camera for now.