Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW5231E-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 4 Turret models similar to the bullet. They are awesome in the dark with wdr on? I had to turn it on within the camera. Haven't figured out turning it on and off with Blue Iris yet. I just set up a schedule in each camera for now.
You can schedule it in the cam, or set up a little pi3 with domoticz and do it based on sunrise and sunset with a simple script

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not up to the scripting point yet. Lol. It was easy within the camera. I will stick to that for now. Baby steps for me.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In addition to the siren/strobe question. I'm mounting one of these camera's under my soffit similar to how I did the turret (which turned out awesome). Should be able to do the same thing with the bullet correct? I didn't use the additional mounting box. All wires are wrapped and stored above the soffit/attic and dry there.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
In addition to the siren/strobe question. I'm mounting one of these camera's under my soffit similar to how I did the turret (which turned out awesome). Should be able to do the same thing with the bullet correct? I didn't use the additional mounting box. All wires are wrapped and stored above the soffit/attic and dry there.
Should be able to

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

charlesaf3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
note: These bullets have a lot of pigtail stuff coming out, if stuff won't be stuffed up in a soffit I'd think pretty seriously about getting the junction box for these.

Given my needs I expect I will be buying the turrets.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As long as the pigtails are long enough, it can be shoved through. Plenty of room.

charlesaf3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As long as the pigtails are long enough, it can be shoved through. Plenty of room.
yeah, I'm thinking if on a tree or some such. I might grab a regular EMT box and see if it works, or do a plaque variant out of PT. I tried to stuff the pigtails into the camera, if that makes sense, but clearly no space.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will post a picture of the system I made when it's up. I personally think it looks good, protects the wiring, and is waterproof. The back of our house sits to close to ground level and needed elevation for a better view and protect the camera from being vandalized.

charlesaf3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will post a picture of the system I made when it's up. I personally think it looks good, protects the wiring, and is waterproof. The back of our house sits to close to ground level and needed elevation for a better view and protect the camera from being vandalized.
would love to see it. I just mounted mine on a PT plaque on the side of my brick garage. Annoyingly even with a 1 3/8 hole in the brick all the mic stuff (which I don't actually care about) kept getting caught. I finally took electrical tape and double it back so it wouldn't catch. Not the most elegant approach.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I went with 1-1/4" emt and ran 1/2" gray pvc conduit through it. I put 90*elbows that you can uncover and feed wire through on each end. Painted it white. It will be mounted on the back side of the house. All connections will be wrapped and then sealed inside the box at the top.

Attachments

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Hound Dog 911,

Double walled plumbing?
I went with 1-1/4" emt and ran 1/2" gray pvc conduit through it.
So 1st line of protection is emt. 2nd is pvc.
Did you double up on the 90 degree corners as well?

May I ask your motivation to go double?

Fastb

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I used 1-1/4 strictly for rigidity to get the height I needed for view point and camera security. I went 1/2" for ease of drilling a hole in the outside wall of my house and running the conduit into the soffit void space. It will be waterproof from the camera all the way to the void space inside the house. By the time someone got through to the 1/2" conduit I already have them from 2 camera's.

charlesaf3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I, or anyone with the right tools, can go through both of them as fast as one of them basically. But it would still take at least 15 seconds so you'd get a good pic. And you aren't usually going to get pros breaking in.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Been a fireman since I was 15. Forcible entry was our specialty. No, if you want to cut it, it will happen without much difficulty. Like you said I will have already had the approach from multiple angles. Cutting a camera at that point is a waste of time. 4 cameras are in locations that can't be reached. Heck a whizzer saw, reciprocating saw or anything similar is pretty difficult to stop. Not many would pay attention to the noise either. Even at night. Sadly.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Been a fireman since I was 15. Forcible entry was our specialty. No, if you want to cut it, it will happen without much difficulty. Like you said I will have already had the approach from multiple angles. Cutting a camera at that point is a waste of time. 4 cameras are in locations that can't be reached. Heck a whizzer saw, reciprocating saw or anything similar is pretty difficult to stop. Not many would pay attention to the noise either. Even at night. Sadly.
That's why you self monitor so you can take action.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Its tough to resist a cordless grinder. I cut kryptonite locks off bikes for local police sometimes. Trying to get it under 20 seconds for my own amusement...
Of course its fun challenging yourself. We had hydraulic powered rabbit tools to go through front doors but it was more fun to try and go through a lock when you had time. Heck it's amazing what a little dremel tool will do. Was making steel lines to attach to my coyote traps and the dremel slices right through steel braded cable like a hot knife.