Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW5231E-Z)

Skipper-93

n3wb
Reaction score
Depends on how you are transcoding it.

FFMPEG?

I'm currently running a live stream using FFMPEG to confirm stability before buying another PTZ for another project.

Seems to work well:
I'm also using ffmpeg. My video parameter is -vcodec copy. Then it's probably not transcoding.
The fluency of your stream is superb!
Wich parameters are you using for video in ffmpeg?

Last edited:

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm also using ffmpeg. My video parameter is -vcodec copy. Then it's probably not transcoding.

Here is mine, naturally with my password and youtube key string url removed.

ffmpeg -f lavfi -i anullsrc -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://admin:supersecretpassword@172.16.5.23:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1subtype=0 -tune zerolatency -vcodec libx264 -t 12:00:00 -pix_fmt + -c:v copy -c:a aac -strict experimental -f flv youryoutubelivestreamurlkeyhere

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is mine, naturally with my password and youtube key string url removed.

ffmpeg -f lavfi -i anullsrc -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://admin:supersecretpassword@172.16.5.23:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1subtype=0 -tune zerolatency -vcodec libx264 -t 12:00:00 -pix_fmt + -c:v copy -c:a aac -strict experimental -f flv youryoutubelivestreamurlkeyhere
but i needed that to stream a camera pointed at something funny to your profile.

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How are you injecting the power stats into the top right corner of the video stream?

Skipper-93

n3wb
Reaction score
How are you injecting the power stats into the top right corner of the video stream?
For that I'm using cURL like this:
curl.exe -u admin:supersecretpassword --anyauth -g "http://192.168.1.xx/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoWidget[0].CustomTitle[1].Text=Line1|Line2|Line3"

You can use the http link in your browser to test if it works. It should ask for your account and supersecretpassword then. You must have "Text Overlay" enabled in the Overlay menu.

Skipper-93

n3wb
Reaction score
Today I experimentally loaded the NTSC firmware instead of the PAL version. The fluency on the NTSC version is way better!
An I Frame every two seconds is enough now.

I still feel a bit ripped off, that the third substream does not support 1080p. (like they suggest in the specifications)
That would've been ideal for my Youtube stream.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Anybody know how to get the mounting base off if the HFW5231E-Z? It's not as simple as just unscrewing it and passing the wires through because the network connector is too fat to fit through the holes in the base. How do you open up the case? I can't even figure that one out.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Anybody know how to get the mounting base off if the HFW5231E-Z? It's not as simple as just unscrewing it and passing the wires through because the network connector is too fat to fit through the holes in the base. How do you open up the case? I can't even figure that one out.
uhhh what? why do you want to remove the mounting base?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think why has much to do with how, but to answer the question the camera is destined for a stealth installation, buried on a hillside, and I want to place it in a 4" PVC pipe for protection. The camera body fits fine in the pipe, the mounting base doesn't.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think why has much to do with how, but to answer the question the camera is destined for a stealth installation, buried on a hillside, and I want to place it in a 4" PVC pipe for protection. The camera body fits fine in the pipe, the mounting base doesn't.
I don't think there is any easy way to take it apart, but perhaps Andy can't point you in the right direction. I was gonna try to take mine apart when it fried but it did not look like it would be easy.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think there is any easy way to take it apart....
After spending more time looking, I'm going to agree with you on this. With all the pictures posted of disassembled turrets and Chinese market bullets, I expected some easy way to open this one up. With the plastic top and bottom removed, it looks like a one-piece solid metal ingot. I use some Chinese market bullets, and they're ok, but in comparison the 5231E-Z is "built like a tank". I disassembled more of the mounting base and I'm pretty confident now that opening up the camera would not help with getting it off. Only 2 ways to get the mounting base off: (1) Cut off the rj45 connector, or (2) Cut a couple parts of the mounting base, destroying it. So I'm back to the drawing board. I had hoped to first bury the PVC pipe then pop the camera into it. Looks now like I'll have assemble the camera with its protection, then bury the whole thing as a single unit.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After spending more time looking, I'm going to agree with you on this. With all the pictures posted of disassembled turrets and Chinese market bullets, I expected some easy way to open this one up. With the plastic top and bottom removed, it looks like a one-piece solid metal ingot. I use some Chinese market bullets, and they're ok, but in comparison the 5231E-Z is "built like a tank". I disassembled more of the mounting base and I'm pretty confident now that opening up the camera would not help with getting it off. Only 2 ways to get the mounting base off: (1) Cut off the rj45 connector, or (2) Cut a couple parts of the mounting base, destroying it. So I'm back to the drawing board. I had hoped to first bury the PVC pipe then pop the camera into it. Looks now like I'll have assemble the camera with its protection, then bury the whole thing as a single unit.
Use 6" pvc sewer pipe with a 6-4" reducer to put the camera in with the base, then put a 4" section on it for the lens end.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Use 6" pvc sewer pipe with a 6-4" reducer to put the camera in with the base, then put a 4" section on it for the lens end.
That's probably as good a solution as any. I'll lose the ability to insert and remove the camera from the front of the pipe, which is looking inevitable to me. It won't be buried deep, so that's not a deal killer.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll lose the ability to insert and remove the camera from the front of the pipe
Only if you use solvent/glue to seal the reduced to the pipe.....
If disassembly to reach the cam later is a concern, then make accommodations....
The cam is sealed, suitable for bare-naked outdoor installs.

Fastb

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
That's probably as good a solution as any. I'll lose the ability to insert and remove the camera from the front of the pipe, which is looking inevitable to me. It won't be buried deep, so that's not a deal killer.
I wouldn't use shit, have you ever fitted two pieces of pvc together, they are typically tight as fuck lol you'll push it on there and it'll be good to go, you'll probably still have a bitch of a time trying to twist it around to pull it back off. if you're gonna do the reducer you may wanna bolt some handles or something to the sides so you have something to grab onto to wrestle it back off.