Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Reaction score
I have 12 of these cameras now around my house. Thanks to this forum my one year learning curve has been greatly accelerated in the past few months.

Here are a few questions I've been compiling, mostly related to Blue Iris.

I've added the cameras by Find/Inspect in Blue Iris. They all show up as Make: Generic, Model: RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4.
  1. Blue Iris: Under the PTZ/Control tab, should I set to ONVIF or Dahua HFW2300R-Z/230R-ZS/81200E?
  2. Blue Iris: How do you control IR & Zoom? Don't really care about zoom for reasons already posted mainly curious.
  3. Blue Iris App on Android: How do you hear the recorded audio when playing back from your app?
  4. Camera Setup: Do you need much more than 352x288 on Substream 1? I'm guessing this is the stream for your phone.
  5. Does your phone app automatically use the Sub Stream or is there a setting that needs to be selected?
  6. Blue Iris: Under camera configuration, I recall someone suggesting to uncheck Send RTSP keep-alives and Use RTSP/stream time code?
  7. Blue Iris: What is a good receive buffer to use?
Grateful for all of the support!
Thank you

Here are my Video settings:
upload_2017-2-18_17-29-1.png

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 12 of these cameras now around my house. Thanks to this forum my one year learning curve has been greatly accelerated in the past few months.

I've added the cameras by Find/Inspect in Blue Iris. They all show up as Make: Generic, Model: RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4.
  1. Blue Iris: Under the PTZ/Control tab, should I set to ONVIF or Dahua HFW2300R-Z/230R-ZS/81200E?
  2. Blue Iris: How do you control IR & Zoom? Don't really care about zoom for reasons already posted mainly curious.
  3. Blue Iris App on Android: How do you hear the recorded audio when playing back from your app?
  4. Camera Setup: Do you need much more than 352x288 on Substream 1? I'm guessing this is the stream for your phone.
  5. Does your phone app automatically use the Sub Stream or is there a setting that needs to be selected?
  6. Blue Iris: Under camera configuration, I recall someone suggesting to uncheck Send RTSP keep-alives and Use RTSP/stream time code?
Thank you

Here are my Video settings:
View attachment 15293
1) set it to any one that works
2) you can do this on the mobile app or via the server app, there are zoom buttons..
3) there is a headphone icon
4)You dont need the substream at all. disable it. Blue iris pulls only the main stream and does its own encoding of the substream for mobile..that is set in the webserver tab. You can set 3 different profiles of various quality.
5) see 4
6) Leave it checked unless you have issues
7)20mb

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmm my wife gave a very low approval rating to one of the turrets at the front door. She said it's too big and obvious. I guess I'll have to look at a mini dome to use right at the door. Thankfully I can cover the approach to the door with the turrets and still get good coverage.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
If you aren't in a super hot area, try painting it the same color as the house(i did). I've asked pretty much every person that has come to my house, and no one has said they noticed them until I mention it. If they aren't in your face height wise, I don't feel the turrents are THAT obvious.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1) set it to any one that works

4)You dont need the substream at all. disable it. Blue iris pulls only the main stream and does its own encoding of the substream for mobile..that is set in the webserver tab. You can set 3
Does it benefit anything disabling it? If there is a 3rd party app such as tiny cam being used, this would stop it from working right(low bandwidth setting)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it benefit anything disabling it? If there is a 3rd party app such as tiny cam being used, this would stop it from working right(low bandwidth setting)?
I dont know it helps any, but if you are not using it, there is no need to enable it...yes it would stop the low bandwidth setting on apps that use it..

bigjezza

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey so couple of questions...
1) How do I disable uPnP discovery of this cam? I don't want it appearing in network places on my PCs. I've disabled uPnP in the gui but that relates to port forwarding.
2) Why is it constantly trying to talk to Amazon AWS when I've turned off all the p2p cloud, ezviz sort of stuff? I even have an in-house NTP server. I have a firewall rule to block any internet access and got bored and went and had a look at the logs and was surprised to see it trying... Like seriously WTF.

tdwilli1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Thank you
1 and 2 - I have mine set to Dahua HFW2300R-Z/230R-ZS/81200E and have checked "use another port" with the HTTP port you have setup under "Connections" for the camera. I am able to use the Zoom function under BI this way.

Reaction score
1 and 2 - I have mine set to Dahua HFW2300R-Z/230R-ZS/81200E and have checked "use another port" with the HTTP port you have setup under "Connections" for the camera. I am able to use the Zoom function under BI this way.
@tdwilli1, I left "use another port" unchecked and also tried it checked to port 80.

The headphone icon on the mobile app is still grayed out as are the ptz and whichever one controls the IR.

Here are the connections setup in the camera:
upload_2017-2-19_7-6-56.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@tdwilli1, I left "use another port" unchecked and also tried it checked to port 80.

The headphone icon on the mobile app is still grayed out as are the ptz and whichever one controls the IR.

View attachment 15309
its grayed out because you didnt give the user privileges for audio and ptz (blue iris options >users) or you failed to enable audio and ptz in blue iris for that camera.

Reaction score
Just received my hdw5231r-z and am having trouble powering it up. I have connected it to a WS-POE-8-48v60w passive poe injector. I do not see any indication that the camera is powered up and there is no indication of activity on the switch. I have tried reaching it from a laptop connected to the same switch with ip set to 192.168.1.10 also with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just received my hdw5231r-z and am having trouble powering it up. I have connected it to a WS-POE-8-48v60w passive poe injector. I do not see any indication that the camera is powered up and there is no indication of activity on the switch. I have tried reaching it from a laptop connected to the same switch with ip set to 192.168.1.10 also with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Test with a short premade cable..

tdwilli1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

View attachment 15309
Maybe try setting the camera to another port. I have mine set at 4000 and it works. :confused:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
On my starlight turret I can do everything except turn the IR on and off, anyone got that working? If not I may try to contact ken and see if he could make it work if I give him access, I would think given the insane popularity of these cams he'd be okay to make them fully supported.

Reaction score
Tested with short cables from camera to poe to switch and from switch to laptop. No luck. I have two of the same cameras and neither seems to power up. Is there any light that should come on? The fact that there is no network activity on the switch port makes me think the camera is definitely not on.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Tested with short cables from camera to poe to switch and from switch to laptop. No luck. I have two of the same cameras and neither seems to power up. Is there any light that should come on? The fact that there is no network activity on the switch port makes me think the camera is definitely not on.
Run a cable from camera to Poe injector, cable from injector to computer, set static IP on computer, also reset the camera Incase settings were changed to test it before it went out.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are these store bought premade cables?