Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess so. Sometimes time isn't a luxury. If this were a camera for me, I'd have the luxury. This camera needs to replace a dead camera on a business. It doesn't look like even a week would be enough to expect. Oh well. Anyone have another rec for a dahua seller? I'm not writing Andy off but if he's a volume dealer and weeks is the best to expect for singles, I can only buy from his store in certain situations.
Give them one of those night hawk turds from Costco,I doubt they know the difference

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Really wish people would just shut up about purchasing comments in here. Go to PM or piss off. Mods should just delete the posts and be done with it. See no need to entertain those entitled babies.

edit: got my spanking. sorry for the additional clutter.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Really wish people would just shut up about purchasing comments in here. Go to PM or piss off. Mods should just delete the posts and be done with it. See no need to entertain those babies.
This is how forums operate....if its too much for you to handle then "piss off"...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have another rec for a dahua seller?
I think the issue here is that the demand outweighs the supply. You'll find other AliExpress stores that claim to have them in stock, but it's a crapshoot if they actually do, or they're lying (hoping to take orders and stall) while they wait for the next Dahua shipment (which is the same boat that Andy's usually in).

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think the issue here is that the demand outweighs the supply. You'll find other AliExpress stores that claim to have them in stock, but it's a crapshoot if they actually do, or they're lying (hoping to take orders and stall) while they wait for the next Dahua shipment (which is the same boat that Andy's usually in).
AND it sounds like their shipping options are usually shit compared to Andy.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I ended up installing the same camera, new, for the client. They're selling the place so they weren't interested in what I know would be a better camera such as a starlight. No biggie. I plan to source only Andy because ultimately I trust nyer and you all who have experience with him. This was a busy weekend for Andy and plus I hear he has a dahua trip too. I'm looking forward to working with him in the future, for sure. I absolutely prefer dahua gear and it looks like Andy is the guy for the good stuff! Thanks all.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I ended up installing the same camera, new, for the client. They're selling the place so they weren't interested in what I know would be a better camera such as a starlight. No biggie. I plan to source only Andy because ultimately I trust nyer and you all who have experience with him. This was a busy weekend for Andy and plus I hear he has a dahua trip too. I'm looking forward to working with him in the future, for sure. I absolutely prefer dahua gear and it looks like Andy is the guy for the good stuff! Thanks all.
you install for a livin or just on the side? sorta working on possibly gettin into it myself, at least to supplement income.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Andy is the man, I'm sure you will be happy working with him. He's gotten a good chunk of my money. :)

mckevin

n3wb
Reaction score
Got most of my cams a couple days ago (only 3 days in transit, btw). The order was short some junction boxes. When I pointed it out he owned the problem immediately and proposed what I consider to be a completely satisfactory resolution.

Service like this is unheard of out of China. I hope he's making a ton of money!

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Got most of my cams a couple days ago (only 3 days in transit, btw). The order was short some junction boxes. When I pointed it out he owned the problem immediately and proposed what I consider to be a completely satisfactory resolution.

Service like this is unheard of out of China. I hope he's making a ton of money!
I'm fairly sure he is, we also benefit from the fact that we are very small fish in a big pond among what he normally sells. No biggy to take care of your bros in a forum when you have people buying 10 PTZs at a time from you and stuff.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
you install for a livin or just on the side? sorta working on possibly gettin into it myself, at least to supplement income.
I installed for a couple places a few years back, one of them a family member at his daycare center. It was only 4 cams but damn it was a lot of work for just me running those lines. It's a an eyesurv system from Nelly's, back when they had dahua stuff. The one I changed out was a parkinglot camera where the dome got condensation in it enough to the point that it got to the electronics and killed it. It may dry out and come back though. I put the same type back up, only new. Hopefully it lasts. I would have LOVED to had time to get a few of these startlight turrets from Andy, but I had to get something back in place. This is the video I did of the install back then- I'm not a pro by any stretch but it has held up well since 2013 except for that one pesky camera.

As far as doing installs for even a side business, I wouldn't advise it. I was very into starting that at the time and I'm so glad I didn't do it. The main reason I dropped the idea is because of servicing. All of this gear gets pissy in a hundred different ways over time, including the customer creating their own problems- tweaking settings, changing routers, you name it. I had no interest in spending my off time chasing all that shit down and the more you install, the more you're gonna chase shit down. Not for me. Plus without being licensed and insured and not really knowing construction, I was wary of popping holes in peoples houses and all. I know my limitations- I kept it as fun for just me. Think it through before you commit.

Last edited:

mckevin

n3wb
Reaction score
IMO, (which I realize matters not in the slightest) if all that can be here is the technicals of the cam we were pretty much dead after the first post.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is a Classifieds and Vendors section on the forum- wouldn't that be a better place for all the orders/ supplies comments/ complaints? There's more sales related stuff in here than technical talk about the actual camera.
It makes it easier for us to bust your balls when someone asks for info when it's on say page 32, and have to repeat it! ;)

I shouldn't really say us... I'm still a noob learning myself.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I installed for a couple places a few years back, one of them a family member at his daycare center. It was only 4 cams but damn it was a lot of work for just me running those lines. It's a an eyesurv system from Nelly's, back when they had dahua stuff. The one I changed out was a parkinglot camera where the dome got condensation in it enough to the point that it got to the electronics and killed it. It may dry out and come back though. I put the same type back up, only new. Hopefully it lasts. I would have LOVED to had time to get a few of these startlight turrets from Andy, but I had to get something back in place. This is the video I did of the install back then- I'm not a pro by any stretch but it has held up well since 2013 except for that one pesky camera.

As far as doing installs for even a side business, I wouldn't advise it. I was very into starting that at the time and I'm so glad I didn't do it. The main reason I dropped the idea is because of servicing. All of this gear gets pissy in a hundred different ways over time, including the customer creating their own problems- tweaking settings, changing routers, you name it. I had no interest in spending my off time chasing all that shit down and the more you install, the more you're gonna chase shit down. Not for me. Plus without being licensed and insured and not really knowing construction, I was wary of popping holes in peoples houses and all. I know my limitations- I kept it as fun for just me. Think it through before you commit.
Very true, I know of one place that just installs, gives you some training on using the NVR and then they are out, if there are issues later, you charge by the hour to fix them, but yes, I am worried about doing anything without the appropriate insurance and stuff.