Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Does help when things are actually in focus :).
I know right? and honestly that's a pretty serious issue for a security camera, I'm glad they got right on it, hell I disabled my script that was switching profiles and set the cam back to normal profile because I don't need to run separate settings anymore lol.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know right? and honestly that's a pretty serious issue for a security camera, I'm glad they got right on it, hell I disabled my script that was switching profiles and set the cam back to normal profile because I don't need to run separate settings anymore lol.
Yeah. You want to be able to ID people, no use if you have the best cameras in the world if they are let down by a simple focus problem during the time when crime is likely to occur. I still have my profile set to force B&W w/ IR at a certain time for all cameras because some had the propensity to be female and flick back and forth, much like you experienced with your PTZ indoors.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah. You want to be able to ID people, no use if you have the best cameras in the world if they are let down by a simple focus problem during the time when crime is likely to occur. I still have my profile set to force B&W w/ IR at a certain time for all cameras because some had the propensity to be female and flick back and forth, much like you experienced with your PTZ indoors.
haha, I've thought about forcing color and black and white but honestly, my outdoor cams don't seem to have any issues with that at all, they kick into night vision mode and seem to stay there until morning. I was gonna lock them into doing it at sunrise and sunset but I kinda feel like the on board LUX sensor probably changes it at the best time. and yeah, I think there is a bug in the PTZs firmware but I have not seen an updated version, perhaps I will tag that dahua dude that comes in here if I can remember his handle lol. It seems like the sensitivity works in reverse though.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
haha, I've thought about forcing color and black and white but honestly, my outdoor cams don't seem to have any issues with that at all, they kick into night vision mode and seem to stay there until morning.
I might give it another shot without the profiles as I believe they don't adjust with DST? Not that I would mind adjusting it once a year.

and yeah, I think there is a bug in the PTZs firmware but I have not seen an updated version, perhaps I will tag that dahua dude that comes in here if I can remember his handle lol. It seems like the sensitivity works in reverse though.
You've forgotten already :)? @Korgoth. Would be handy to have a chat to him about that and the focus as-well because if I don't adjust the PTZ during the night it's out of focus. Even this damn NVR rebooting problem (which hasn't been an issue for two days now).

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I might give it another shot without the profiles as I believe they don't adjust with DST? Not that I would mind adjusting it once a year.

You've forgotten already :)? @Korgoth. Would be handy to have a chat to him about that and the focus as-well because if I don't adjust the PTZ during the night it's out of focus. Even this damn NVR rebooting problem (which hasn't been an issue for two days now).
damnitt, so more dahua cams have that issue? They need to get on that, shit on the backdoor issues, we need cameras that focus like they are suppose to lol I don't really wanna have to have a script send a command to trigger auto focus, and not even sure if there is one to do that.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't really wanna have to have a script send a command to trigger auto focus, and not even sure if there is one to do that.
Neither. @nayr posted the below, so it's possible but why should you?

If your really obsessed with achieving perfect focus w/an auto-iris camera; well then fire off a script to adjust the focus twice a day when changing the profiles from day/night.. its all doable via Dahua HTTP API and its pretty much required for reading license plates.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So would this be an issue with the fixed lens version?

EDIT: found the thread :
Dahua IPC-HDBW4431R-ZS - Buy Log / Review

and read discussion there. @cryptelli , do you believe the new firmware solves the issue now?

Thanks for pointing this out!

Last edited:

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
uh, you guys are doing it wrong.. it locks in at a angle and then hinges closed, dont require any force at all.. does make mounting it in a tight corner kinda of a bitch.
Thanks for the tip. I mustn't be trying it on a big enough angle (I have been engaging the rear first and then lowering the front- where the set screw is- to engage it.)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Does anyone know the size of that set screw?

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't believe this fix would apply to fixed lens versions due to them having a preset focus from factory.
I think the fixed lens will still have a variable focus from a few inches to infinity, right?

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could be wrong but I believe the issue relates to the different wavelength of light traveling through the lens and where the focal plane ends up as a result.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
could be that the fixed zoom lens is focused at infinity, which works close in ( a few meters somehow), but the IR is a longer wavelength so it is also focused at infinity, but off slightly. I am just throwing it out there, i don't know.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And as long as we're throwing - The lens needs to be ir corrected and the varifocal might not be as good at that. I have also seen some discussion of aspherical vs spherical lens. Guess it doesn't matter if the firmware now tells it to re-focus at ir on/off.