Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
about 35ft for dedicated plate reading if yer lucky.. at night it wont see anything else but plates
For night time - no probs. I will have 2 more at the front for ID. Nayr, are there any cheaper ones that can do just that? Was hoping for $100 camera, as it will not be used for anything else

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
didnt know u could code that behavior, thx.. I have a VCDS sitting right here, will have to look into it.. I take it it locks when you close hatch/trunk? Thats my Achilles heel is there is no touch sensor to lock the hatch and my hands are full when im walking back past the drivers door to swipe the door handle and lock it.. guess it'd lock when I got out and relock when I closed again, my brain dont want to lock doors when im about to open another door so Ive had issues trying to reprogram my behavior.

Oh well the Golf goes back to VW Crusher this Friday :-\ I'll look into it when im recoding the new Audi for my preferences.. deleting the seatbelt chime, disable arming beep, video in motion, auto unlocking when shut off, and now auto relocking once the drivers door shuts :D
In my mk7 r you can code the car to auto lock after x amount of time or moment you go above 10mph.

Boot will only unlock when the fob is next to it or if the car is running in P otherwise it stays locked.

The new mqb2 head units seem block discover pro/audi infotainment configs from being messed with.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is that IPC-HFW4431R-Z? Do you know if these bullets are ceiling mountable? Cannot see from the images if the base rotates.
I know you are not the big fan of the dome cameras (I may be wrong), but how does IPC-HFW4431R-Z compare to the dome variant IPC-HDBW4431R-Z for what I need?

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is that IPC-HFW4431R-Z? Do you know if these bullets are ceiling mountable? Cannot see from the images if the base rotates.
I know you are not the big fan of the dome cameras (I may be wrong), but how does IPC-HFW4431R-Z compare to the dome variant IPC-HDBW4431R-Z for what I need?
I can answer that.

Yes it can be.

The difference between the bullet and the dome?
Apart from the form factor?

The bullet is actually weather proof, the dome is "weather proof" but I'd still seal the base to be 100% sure.

The Night Vision in the bullet is a lot better but you have to be mindful of IR whiteout of subjects walking up close to the camera.
You can get around this issue If you install it high up/further away then zoom in, or manually set your IR levels.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You definitely dont want a dome trying to do LPR, headlights on curved plastic will just wreak havoc.. Turret or Bullets outside, fuck domes.
Thanks, Nayr and beingaware

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Word to the wise, if you open one of the turrets to insert a micro SD card or to move a desiccant pack that is rubbing on the lens, make sure that the rubber seal is set in place before you put the camera halves back together. Reference for the seal, it's the flat black part on the lower 1/2 of the camera (micro SD card slot pic) in nayr's 1st post.

I had a desiccant pack rubbing when the lens zoomed in/out and had to adjust it a few times (camera on and opened). When I started to put it back together, I noticed something wasn't right with the fit and eventually realized that the seal had rolled inside the camera away from the edge in several places.

Btw, I have a new appreciation for the heavy contributiors here. I spent about 5 hours configuring 5 cameras (4 turrets and a bullet). This included opening each one to put in a memory card, changing the IP addresses, setting up static IP addresses on my router, updating the firmware, and configuring everything that could be done for the initial setup prior to installation.

Tools used: folding table, power strip, laptop, 3 Ethernet cables (2 for the laptop/ Poe injector, 1 to a network switch), a Poe injector, and a #1 Phillips screwdriver. And of course, a pile of cameras. =)

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Word to the wise, if you open one of the turrets to insert a micro SD card or to move a desiccant pack that is rubbing on the lens, make sure that the rubber seal is set in place before you put the camera halves back together. Reference for the seal, it's the flat black part on the lower 1/2 of the camera (micro SD card slot pic) in nayr's 1st post.

I had a desiccant pack rubbing when the lens zoomed in/out and had to adjust it a few times (camera on and opened). When I started to put it back together, I noticed something wasn't right with the fit and eventually realized that the seal had rolled inside the camera away from the edge in several places.

Btw, I have a new appreciation for the heavy contributiors here. I spent about 5 hours configuring 5 cameras (4 turrets and a bullet). This included opening each one to put in a memory card, changing the IP addresses, setting up static IP addresses on my router, updating the firmware, and configuring everything that could be done for the initial setup prior to installation.

Tools used: folding table, power strip, laptop, 3 Ethernet cables (2 for the laptop/ Poe injector, 1 to a network switch), a Poe injector, and a #1 Phillips screwdriver. And of course, a pile of cameras. =)
I found using Smart PSS and doing all the IP configuration/firmware updates in one hit shaves a lot of time.
Shrinking the DHCP pool away from the cameras/nvr in your router saves time as well. :)

The actual messing with the rules, best to do once it's up.
I'm forever changing my IVS rules to get them close to perfect.

Will be amusing with AutoTracking setup in 2 weeks time, wonder how many cats it will chase? XD

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 3.10.50 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 3.13.15 pm.png

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Caught the largest visitor so far on my camera system.
Is that an opossum?

The Australian ones are retarded, I have two living on my property, always tripping cameras.

In pretty sure the cat is hunting the smaller one as it keeps going to the same spots.

Was it @nayr that captured the gangstas and the masked hood rats wondering around?

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is that an opossum?

The Australian ones are retarded, I have two living on my property, always tripping cameras.

In pretty sure the cat is hunting the smaller one as it keeps going to the same spots.

Was it @nayr that captured the gangstas and the masked hood rats wondering around?
Yup it's an opossum. I actually have a little ivs tripwire setup at the top of the fence to ensure I capture such visitors. :). Surveillance isn't just for crooks! Heh.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't believe this fix would apply to fixed lens versions due to them having a preset focus from factory.

Yes, for varifocal models the issue is fixed.
Of course a fixed lens cam has a fixed focus. For infinity focus it´t normally around 1m so it´s near enough that the different wave lenght at IR shouldn't´t bother them.

I had reported this issue for varifocal zoom lens cams.
At the moment i am still testing with the hdw5231r-z, because my first results had the same issue. at the moment my mic is off, so i can´t here if a refocusing is done at night view.
So if any one will test for this issue, you need to look in the web interface on zoom and focus and have a look what focus point is used for day and night, when you retrigger auto focus. Then after digital zooming in you should have a sharper picture at IR on night. Compare both focus points with mouse over and let me know the values.