Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
PAL firmware gave me H.264 and NTSC only allows H.264H and H.265
Same here for the starlights. My old 4MP cams have the normal H.264 option in both versions though. Perhaps because it was customized firmare I used.

Bartel

n3wb
Reaction score
So i wanted to ask @nayr what HTTP commands he used in his home automation system; then i thought; Let Me Google That For Me :)

I found the answer on a German forum and there are some good discussions (with code samples) going on there. Below i have translated some stuff in English for the programmers among us.

Videostream (H.264, H.265):

Videostream (MJPEG):
Can anyone confirm there still is a MJPEG stream (available trough an http connection)?
As nayr stated here that with the latest firmware, this feature is removed: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) ?
(Yes, unfortunately my home automation system does not supports RSTP/h264, it's crappy I know, but it's not something I can replace :))

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm there still is a MJPEG stream (available trough an http connection)?
As nayr stated here that with the latest firmware, this feature is removed: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) ?
(Yes, unfortunately my home automation system does not supports RSTP/h264, it's crappy I know, but it's not something I can replace :))
Running the latest NTSC firmware, MJPEG is still available for the substreams but not the main stream. This plays directly in Chrome: http://xx.xx.xx.xx/cgi-bin/mjpg/video.cgi?channel=0&subtype=2 using this configuration:

So if you can live with your automation system only getting 720p video this should be fine. Note that when I tried 30FPS and max bit rate (which was about 40 Mbps), it totally broke streaming until I set it to something lower.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I upgraded one to the NTSC firmware but I only see up to 30fps on the main stream? not that I even need that but I thought it could do 60?

yobigd20

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Considering that this ptz is available for about 100 bux more, its not worth the hassle of replacing the old ones unless this is an aesthetic issue...otherwise you can just use the new ptz in the new locations
Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)
i want one of these so bad but I have neighbors who would complain to my HOA about it not fitting "architectural guidelines of the community". I think I can conceal the varifocal turrets good enough with paint matching my siding to the point where it looks like paint matched dryer outlet, but i can't come up with any good ideas on how to conceal the 25x starlight PTZ. maybe gutting a large coach light fixture and mounting it inside..? lol

yobigd20

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
anyplace you can put the recessed ptz?
i'm pretty sure that would also stand out. all my soffits are white. i have a covered wrap around front porch, but not sure if i would want to mount it there.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
i want one of these so bad but I have neighbors who would complain to my HOA about it not fitting "architectural guidelines of the community". I think I can conceal the varifocal turrets good enough with paint matching my siding to the point where it looks like paint matched dryer outlet, but i can't come up with any good ideas on how to conceal the 25x starlight PTZ. maybe gutting a large coach light fixture and mounting it inside..? lol
get creative bro, make it look like some kind of planter and have fucking flowers draping down all around it with an open space in front of the lens so you can still see everything lol. this is your mission, should you choose to accept it.

yobigd20

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
get creative bro, make it look like some kind of planter and have fucking flowers draping down all around it with an open space in front of the lens so you can still see everything lol. this is your mission, should you choose to accept it.
actually that idea has already crossed my mind, lol

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a small ptz, that is quite nice, but will cost you double.
NSC-4A320-PTZir 3MP IP Weatherproof IR Mini PTZ Dome Security Camera 4.7-94mm - Nelly's Security

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
If you could mask off the lens, and paint the black part white, or whatever color the walls are, it'll be camo lol

jayson436

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure that would also stand out. all my soffits are white. i have a covered wrap around front porch, but not sure if i would want to mount it there.
I bet recessed would look pretty nice, but putting a giant hole in my soffits is a big commitment for a camera given how often I swap them out.