Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Himd

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the pfa137 mount required if installing this camera under a level wood soffit?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not 100% sure but I assumed the cable would route up into the soffit and then into the attic.
On a sample amcrest mini-bullet I have there is about 12-14" of cable I can run before the connectors.
Unfortunately the unit I purchased did not include the corresponding boot which would allow me to better weather proof that connection.

If you will be installing the cameras within that cable distance ( in my case 12-14" ) into the soffit then you'll be able to push the connection section into the soffit.

If not perhaps some sort of junction box or the like would be useful if you plan to run the camera further away from the soffit.

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On a sample amcrest mini-bullet I have there is about 12-14" of cable I can run before the connectors.
Unfortunately the unit I purchased did not include the corresponding boot which would allow me to better weather proof that connection.

If you will be installing the cameras within that cable distance ( in my case 12-14" ) into the soffit then you'll be able to push the connection section into the soffit.

If not perhaps some sort of junction box or the like would be useful if you plan to run the camera further away from the soffit.
Get waterproof connector wrap? (There is one version that is made in American that can also be used to stop leaks.)
I use it all the time with RF Coax Connectors, never had any leakage, could even drop it in a pool and it would still be water tight.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
So I've got one turret that won't recognize any SD cards, tried different cards and then put those cards into other turrets and they worked right away, anyone have any ideas? I see no reset button inside these things.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh well the Golf goes back to VW Crusher this Friday :-\ I'll look into it when im recoding the new Audi for my preferences.. deleting the seatbelt chime, disable arming beep, video in motion, auto unlocking when shut off, and now auto relocking once the drivers door shuts :D
Here you'll find a collection of VCDS codings, maybe also for your new car. It's a German site, but I think you'll understand the coding steps.
stemei.de .Fahrzeugcodierungen .Codierungsservice .Webdesign - Stefan Meier - KESSY automatisches zusperren, verriegeln - Fahrzeug Codierungen, Webdesign

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I've got one turret that won't recognize any SD cards, tried different cards and then put those cards into other turrets and they worked right away, anyone have any ideas? I see no reset button inside these things.
Apparently not all cameras have a reset button. I believe you have to short two points on the board to reset these.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm thinking about installing this against a vertical wall, I wouldn't need the mount, right?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Apparently not all cameras have a reset button. I believe you have to short two points on the board to reset these.
Use a screwdriver or paper clip to short the points for a full minute while powering up the camera. Not sure exactly how long, but when we tried shorter durations, it didn't reset until we shorted for a full minute.

SD

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Just finished most orders' shipments, and there has 40 shipment already in USA but now I still not update the tracking, I am updating now. Today ship another 45 shipments.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Question. Is anyone using WDR during the night and actually seeing the image adjust like WDR should?

I've played around with it in the past on all of my turrets and it didn't seem change the picture at all. So I ended up using either BLC or HLC. It wasn't until I enabled WDR on my PTZ did I notice the image brighten. That got me thinking is WDR even working on these cameras?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I enabled WDR and did see a change in picture. Ended up moving that camera to a different location and was confused about why the image quality was so meh -- had forgot I had WDR enabled. Once I disabled it, the IQ at that location improved back to normal.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I enabled WDR and did see a change in picture. Ended up moving that camera to a different location and was confused about why the image quality was so meh -- had forgot I had WDR enabled. Once I disabled it, the IQ at that location improved back to normal.
How much of a change? If I look closely in the darker areas I do see them lighten VERY slightly. The difference is, on the PTZ when you adjust the WDR slider the picture flashes black then slowly adjusts just like it does during the day, the image becomes completely washed out until it scales back and leaves you with the adjusted picture.

Same behaviour isn't present on these turrets. I can make the image look bright as day with the PTZ focused on the same areas as one of my turrets.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I run backlight off at night, it dont help any.. you might think it does, but it dont
I guess it depends on what you mean by help. I do know the image on the PTZ is way more evenly lit with 10% WDR compared to no WDR.

Last edited: