Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry for stupid question, but I have to select either 24 or 48V for my PoE and not sure which to select since the wired power is 12.

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
48v, sounds like your using passive power.. be careful w/what you plug into it.
Crap. I just bought a new Ubiquiti managed switch, but it's 24V. I can run 48V from my Edge Router. I'll try that now.

Reaction score
btw - if you are buying new cat5e/cat6 cable I recommend getting the thicker gauge one 23AWG amd try to avoid the thinner one ( 24AWG ) if you can.
( noticed that some of the cat6 cables I was looking to install were thinner - i.e. 24AWG )
CAT6 really isn't needed for most security cam installations. CAT5e is even overkill for this. These cameras just don't have the bandwidth to use CAT6. Unless you have 300+ foot runs, I'd use CAT5e. I would not use copper coated aluminum cable, only solid copper. Just my 2 cents.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2 questions...playing around with one of my new 5231's in SmartPSS.....

(1) is it auto-focus??...can't seem to find a way to focus anything..
(2) is this cam gigabit ethernet?...when connected to my gigabit Zyxel switch it connects as 10/100 only

Thanks!

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
2 questions...playing around with one of my new 5231's in SmartPSS.....

(1) is it auto-focus??...can't seem to find a way to focus anything..
(2) is this cam gigabit ethernet?...when connected to my gigabit Zyxel switch it connects as 10/100 only

Thanks!
you don't see the auto focus button under settings in the zoom and focus tab?

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you don't see the auto focus button under settings in the zoom and focus tab?
hmm...found it under PTZ section..oops

...also, how do you setup simultaneous recording to Blueiris as well as microsd?...is that in BlueIris settings?...couldn't really see how to do it in SmartPSS either

RH-Atl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@jazzy1,
log into your cam software through your broswer and then go to the "settings" there. sdmicro should be set allready and you can set the other paths there.
Once setup in the cam you can use either or both SmartPSS and/or BI and even a browser at the same time if desired.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
UPDATES
For this model IPC-HDW5231R-Z April.21st has 135pcs i think can cover those who paid us and those i promised hold the stocks for.

April.26th, will have another 300pcs in.
After this will be May.15th, another 200pcs in.

I will book some more based on the requirement. Other starlight all stock in now.
Happy Easter day!
Andy

stratfordwill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Crap. I just bought a new Ubiquiti managed switch, but it's 24V. I can run 48V from my Edge Router. I'll try that now.
You are confusing 24v vs 48v passive with passive poe vs 802.3af/at. All you need is 802.3af.

I don't think any ubiquiti switches are 24v only.

The US8-60w is 802.3af, but all the other unifi switches and the edgeswitches are 802.3af/at.

802.3af/at are 48v standards at ~12w and ~25w respectively.

Passive POE is a separate thing. Most of the Ubiquiti switches have a 24v implementation of passive poe (except the us8-60w) and which Ubiquiti uses for their low end and midrange access points.

If you've got any managed ubiquiti switch from the us8-60w on up, you can power your cameras.

The edgerouter on the other hand is passive poe (at 24v or 48v) and will not power your cameras.

EDIT: as pointed out below, I was forgetting the toughswitches. If you have one of those it's passive only.

Last edited:

Akguy25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So i got 4 of these cameras and 3 of them seem ok but 1 has an issue. I am unable to connect to it using browser and the default 192.168.1.108 address. If i ping -t that address i get 4 time outs then 2 responses then 4 time outs then 2 responses....no other devices with.108 are connected. Any one have any ideas, i really hope it is not defective

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think any ubiquiti switches are 24v only. The US8-60w is 802.3af, but all the other unifi switches and the edgeswitches are 802.3af/at.
The tough switch TS-5-POE is only passive 24v. Some other models only have 48v passive not real 802.3af.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So i got 4 of these cameras and 3 of them seem ok but 1 has an issue. I am unable to connect to it using browser and the default 192.168.1.108 address. If i ping -t that address i get 4 time outs then 2 responses then 4 time outs then 2 responses....no other devices with.108 are connected. Any one have any ideas, i really hope it is not defective
Probably a bad cable assuming you're on a wired connection and not wifi.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reset it to factory specs and try again. Hold the reset button for a full 60 seconds while powering it with a 12V power supply.

Sometimes they test the cameras and don't put them back to factory specs. If you don't have any luck after that, it may be defective, but very rare. Did you get it from EmpireTech:Andy?

SD