Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Akguy25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is powered through PoE switch and I did get it from Andy. I will try the reset option later today...

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is powered through PoE switch and I did get it from Andy. I will try the reset option later today...
Well, you are covered either way from Andy. I haven't heard of any of these being defective yet.

I would suggest using a 12 power supply to reset it, if it's practical for you. I'm sure POE would work as well, but haven't reset them that way.

SD

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got mine last week and the picture is fine. I have replaced my old (Chinese) 4421 camera. At night the 5231 doesn't need the infra red to get a good picture of the parking place so I have turned it off. I do have an external illuminator at my front door; that's why you see some shadows at night time.

Attachments

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, you are covered either way from Andy. I haven't heard of any of these being defective yet.

I would suggest using a 12 power supply to reset it, if it's practical for you. I'm sure POE would work as well, but haven't reset them that way.

SD
I've got one that refuses to see the SD card but i'm not sweating it too much, I'll just put it in a less important spot later...

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
UPDATES
For this model IPC-HDW5231R-Z April.21st has 135pcs i think can cover those who paid us and those i promised hold the stocks for.

April.26th, will have another 300pcs in.
After this will be May.15th, another 200pcs in.

I will book some more based on the requirement. Other starlight all stock in now.
Happy Easter day!
Andy
Thanks for the update Andy.

Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of default settings that we should change to get a good image during the day and night. I know lot of variables will have an effect, not one setting will work on another location, just wanted a foundation to start with and adjust as per location of camera.

Clavas

n3wb
Reaction score
My order from Andy has arrived :)

NVR5216-4KS2
6 x HDW5231RP-Z
6 x PFB203W wall mount

Just need to get it all tested as working, micro SD cards installed, configured and DVR and poe switch installed.
Wish they would hurry with my building work at home so i can run cable.

Thanks again Andy for fast secure delivery to UK

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
My order from Andy has arrived :)

NVR5216-4KS2
6 x HDW5231RP-Z
6 x PFB203W wall mount

Just need to get it all tested as working, micro SD cards installed, configured and DVR and poe switch installed.
Wish they would hurry with my building work at home so i can run cable.

Thanks again Andy for fast secure delivery to UK
just make sure they all SEE the SD cards, BEFORE you install them LOL.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been reported or not but it does work with my Hikvision NVR. Two key things is turn off the Dahua ONVIF in the camera software and on the Hikvision NVR turn off the plug n play for the slot you are using and turn on manual. Then turn on ONVIF and enter the address of the camera. In my case it was 192.168.254.9 for position 8. I needed the help and got it from a couple of people on this forum.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been reported or not but it does work with my Hikvision NVR
Can you confirm, though, as you do your testing, that you only get motion detection notifications as opposed to the other event notifications that the camera can also be configured to generate?
And as a cross check, you can see what types of ONVIF event notifications the camera is generating via the 'Events' page and 'Rules' page of the very good Windows tool ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you confirm, though, as you do your testing, that you only get motion detection notifications as opposed to the other event notifications that the camera can also be configured to generate?
And as a cross check, you can see what types of ONVIF event notifications the camera is generating via the 'Events' page and 'Rules' page of the very good Windows tool ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net
Well , I record 24/7 and have not looked into event or motion detection notifications. That part I cannot confirm and that would be another area I would need to learn about. Let me take look.

hionhifi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm on the verge of buying several of these cameras and NVR but I have a couple of mountain questions I'm hoping to get help with before pulling the trigger.

1. Is the Dahua PFA137 Junction box necessary to mount the camera w/stock base into stucco or wood of my underhang?
  2. Can the camera be mounted without the junction box?
  3. Can the camera mount to the side of my house without using the PFB203W Wall mount?
Thank you for the help.

Thomas.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm on the verge of buying several of these cameras and NVR but I have a couple of mountain questions I'm hoping to get help with before pulling the trigger.

1. Is the Dahua PFA137 Junction box necessary to mount the camera w/stock base into stucco or wood of my underhang?
  2. Can the camera be mounted without the junction box?
  3. Can the camera mount to the side of my house without using the PFB203W Wall mount?
Thank you for the help.

Thomas.
Junction box is nice as your cable connections will fit in there.

You can also attempt to fit the cameras directly on your stucco walls/underhang and have the wire go into the attic if the camera will be placed close enough to the attic.
( you can then avoid both the PFB203w and PFA137 )

If you are in doubt, I would order the junction boxes - and if you don't use them - you can probably sell them here with little loss.

Personally I want to make the smallest hole possible in a stucco building and because I will be placing the cameras far away from the overhand thus I am ordering junction boxes with my cameras.

hionhifi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@mat200, I see, so from the looks of the junction box the camera can either mount on the top or bottom of the box or the camera can be placed next to or close to the camera.

Akguy25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

SD
Well after attempting a reset the problem persists. It happens using 12 power supply and using poe. It looks like i will have to contact Andy for an exchange

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200, I see, so from the looks of the junction box the camera can either mount on the top or bottom of the box or the camera can be placed next to or close to the camera.
Hi Hionhifi,

The camera mounts on the "face of the junction box" - and the junction box has a rubber/silicone gasket to keep the water out.

So, this would be the procedure:
1) Bring Cat6 through the wall - OR in a conduit - OR along the wall/overhang
2) Orient Junction box to connect to the wall and have cat6 cable come through junction box back - OR bring conduit to junction box side hole - OR bring cable to junction box side and remember to make a drip loop.
3) Secure junction box to location
[ updated - thanks to Gilles0181 - to help those catching up to the discussion:
@mat200 you are missing one very important part; see below:
3.5) BEFORE you crimp the RJ45 connector, add the waterproof sealing so you can weatherproof-seal your RJ45 connection * ]
4) Crimp RJ45 connector to Cat6 cable
5) connect camera cat6 female to RJ45 male - push all wiring into junction box ( optional plumber tape on connection )
6) Screw camera on junction box
7) align camera view.

There's probably a couple other things you can do to keep water out, such as putting silicone around the hole coming out of the wall or around the junction box to wall surface.

[ * - references for update, thanks to Gilles0181 and cryptelli - please see their posts with pictures which follow, here's the links if you like to skip to them:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) ]

Last edited:

Akguy25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well after attempting a reset the problem persists. It happens using 12 power supply and using poe. It looks like i will have to contact Andy for an exchange
I have to send the camera back to Andy, does anyone know the cheapest way to send back to him from the US?

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have to send the camera back to Andy, does anyone know the cheapest way to send back to him from the US?
Do a search in this thread. At least one other member had to send one back. They can tell you what was used.