Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there enough space behind the 5231's standard wall mount to hide the join from the cat6 connection to the camera loom?

Or would i require the optional Dahua mounting bracket to hide that?

(The cameras are going on a brick wall with external cat cable)
With just the mount that comes with the cam your not going to be able to stuff the cable and the connector behind it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Mark C

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there enough space behind the 5231's standard wall mount to hide the join from the cat6 connection to the camera loom?

Or would i require the optional Dahua mounting bracket to hide that?

(The cameras are going on a brick wall with external cat cable)
I was wondering what mounting box you guys recommend for a vertical mount for the 5231's?

hoping Andy gets some more in stock soon...

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Using ONVIF with a 8 channel Hikvision NVR, I'm sure there would be other NVR options from Dahua with POE. You'd be better off sticking with the same brand NVR if you're using all Dahua cameras.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's the part # listed for the non Poe version in your link. You need 12vdc to power the camera. Typically a Poe network switch is used to both power the camera and to add it to the network (for Poe powered cameras). Alternatively, the camera can be connected to a router or regular switch and use a 12vdc power supply. The only connection on the non Poe NVR is a single Ethernet cable that connects it to the network.

cheeser

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to this forum, I purchased two of these camera...just installed one on the back of the house for now...it is zoomed out a little bit for now. I have these connected to my Synology Surveillance Station.

One question: What is the best spot to perform motion detection / alerts...the camera software or Surveillance Station? There seems to be some overlap in capabilities between the two.

We have a lot of deer that come through our backyard, but am mainly concentrating on the patio for alerts.

BackPatio-20170415-1951359195.jpg

Last edited:

Mark C

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks a lot guys. the 2nd one you listed is the one i;m looking for. Looking for POE so i can just run 1 cat 5/6 cable to the cameras. now i just need to wait for it to come back in stock

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks a lot guys. the 2nd one you listed is the one i;m looking for. Looking for POE so i can just run 1 cat 5/6 cable to the cameras. now i just need to wait for it to come back in stock
btw - if you are buying new cat5e/cat6 cable I recommend getting the thicker gauge one 23AWG amd try to avoid the thinner one ( 24AWG ) if you can.
( noticed that some of the cat6 cables I was looking to install were thinner - i.e. 24AWG )

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks to this forum, I purchased two of these camera...just installed one on the back of the house for now...it is zoomed out a little bit for now. I have these connected to my Synology Surveillance Station.

One question: What is the best spot to perform motion detection / alerts...the camera software or Surveillance Station? There seems to be some overlap in capabilities between the two.

We have a lot of deer that come through our backyard, but am mainly concentrating on the patio for alerts.

View attachment 17280
Does your camera have IVS? Use that instead of motion detection. Soooo much better! It is built into most of the Dahua Cameras.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
btw - if you are buying new cat5e/cat6 cable I recommend getting the thicker gauge one 23AWG amd try to avoid the thinner one ( 24AWG ) if you can.
( noticed that some of the cat6 cables I was looking to install were thinner - i.e. 24AWG )

Why the thicker one?

cheeser

n3wb
Reaction score
Does your camera have IVS? Use that instead of motion detection. Soooo much better! It is built into most of the Dahua Cameras.
I believe they have IVS. I have to read up on that a bit, but curious how alerts from IVS would go to the Surveillance Station software.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe they have IVS. I have to read up on that a bit, but curious how alerts from IVS would go to the Surveillance Station software.
Thicker copper wire = less power loss per meter/foot and thus you can have longer PoE cable runs.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why the thicker one?
I would say the most important cable spec, whichever AWG you decide, is Solid Bare Copper. 24 or 23 gauge hasn't made a bit of difference for three SD59225H-UNI's, which are PTZ's with heaters. If you are running these 5231's, I feel it's even less important. I have tested these cameras, (5231's and 59's) in every conceivable configuration out there. Power brick, POE (802.3af), POE+ (802.3at) without issue. Keep in mind my test run was 103' 6" exactly.

That being said, pure physics would dictate that larger diameter copper will have less voltage loss over distance. My test runs were ~100 feet, and I used Monoprice Cat 6 Super Duper Heavy Duty Watch Out Don't Pull It by Yourself and Drive stuff.
1000FT 23AWG Cat6 500MHz UTP Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), Bulk Ethernet Bare Copper Cable - Orange - Monoprice.com

It was $111 shipped to my door. It has the internal separator and is harder to bend(easier to damage), pull and get through tight spaces. It's about twice as much as well, but for a longer run, for a PTZ that needs the extra wattage, you may want it.

I bought this Ebay Cat5E 24 AWG Solid Bare Copper for $65 to my door.
BLUE BARE COPPER CAT5E 1000FT CAT5 CABLE UTP WIRE SOLID ETHERNET BULK RJ45 LAN | eBay

I haven't noticed a difference between the two. I bought the Cat5e for power to PIR's and microphones, but ended up using the less expensive cable to test the 3 PTZ's.

I would be remiss if I didn't state that I'm using a Microsemi PD Hi POE midspan currently with the SD59. That uses both pair of extra wires (4,5,7 & 8) to get the power to the camera, but again I tested three powered setups for 100' without issue. YMMV.

SD

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.