Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Akguy25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice about leaving the desiccant (water absorbing) packets inside the cameras when they are in use? I like the idea of absorbing excess moisture but I do not want to cause overheating or any other problems.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice about leaving the desiccant (water absorbing) packets inside the cameras when they are in use? I like the idea of absorbing excess moisture but I do not want to cause overheating or any other problems.
How would it cause overheating? Leave them in. If there is any moisture inside (air contains moisture), you will run the risk of the lens fogging or condensation shorting out the camera. May not be the case in the Sahara desert, but in the SE US where I am, condensation / moisture intrusion is a serious threat to electronics installed outside.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon had to send his Ultra Bullet back. Matter of fact he received it back today.

Griff, how did you send it?

SD
Contact Andy, he will work with you to have it shipped back to him, it took about a week to get back to China. He sent me the shipping stuff and I packed up the box and scheduled umm, shit, I forgot who actually shipped it back but I scheduled them to pick it up from my wife's work. They called me to verify almost like they wanted to make sure it wasn't a scam because I guess who the hell sends things TO china lol.

Akguy25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Contact Andy, he will work with you to have it shipped back to him, it took about a week to get back to China. He sent me the shipping stuff and I packed up the box and scheduled umm, shit, I forgot who actually shipped it back but I scheduled them to pick it up from my wife's work. They called me to verify almost like they wanted to make sure it wasn't a scam because I guess who the hell sends things TO china lol.
Thanks, I have contacted Andy and it sounds like I am on the hook for return shipping

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@mat200 you are missing one very important part; see below:
3.5) BEFORE you crimp the RJ45 connector, add the waterproof sealing so you can weatherproof-seal your RJ45 connection

Hi Hionhifi,

The camera mounts on the "face of the junction box" - and the junction box as a rubber/silicone gasket to keep the water out.

So, this would be the procedure:
1) Bring Cat6 through the wall - OR in a conduit - OR along the wall/overhang
2) Orient Junction box to connect to the wall and have cat6 cable come through junction box back - OR bring conduit to junction box side hole - OR bring cable to junction box side and remember to make a drip loop.
3) Secure junction box to location
4) Crimp RJ45 connector to Cat6 cable
5) connect camera cat6 female to RJ45 male - push all wiring into junction box ( optional plumber tape on connection )
6) Screw camera on junction box
7) align camera view.

There's probably a couple other things you can do to keep water out, such as putting silicone around the hole coming out of the wall or around the junction box to wall surface.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200 you are missing one very important part; see below:
3.5) BEFORE you crimp the RJ45 connector, add the waterproof sealing so you can weatherproof-seal your RJ45 connection
Do you use a little silicone before inserting the cat6 into the RJ45 plug?
( This actually would be new to me, as I normally don't need the cables I make to be water proof. )

RH-Atl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought we could only send money to China.. lol
Probably gave everyone in the post a second look.

hionhifi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Hionhifi,

The camera mounts on the "face of the junction box" - and the junction box as a rubber/silicone gasket to keep the water out.

So, this would be the procedure:
1) Bring Cat6 through the wall - OR in a conduit - OR along the wall/overhang
2) Orient Junction box to connect to the wall and have cat6 cable come through junction box back - OR bring conduit to junction box side hole - OR bring cable to junction box side and remember to make a drip loop.
3) Secure junction box to location
4) Crimp RJ45 connector to Cat6 cable
5) connect camera cat6 female to RJ45 male - push all wiring into junction box ( optional plumber tape on connection )
6) Screw camera on junction box
7) align camera view.

There's probably a couple other things you can do to keep water out, such as putting silicone around the hole coming out of the wall or around the junction box to wall surface.
At least two of the cameras are mounted under 4' deep eves out of the elements but still outside. I can come straight into attic space with the camera poe cable from out into /cat6 interface
@mat200 No there is a screw-on cap you can use; this one:
Where can I source these weatherproof boots?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought we could only send money to China.. lol
Probably gave everyone in the post a second look.
That and empty shipping containers ;-)

( actual crazy story .. it was cheaper to send Alfalfa from the region along the California/Mexico border to China than to Northern California when live stock in Northern California were starving due to the drought... )

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At least two of the cameras are mounted under 4' deep eves out of the elements but still outside. I can come straight into attic space with the camera poe cable from out into /cat6 interface

Where can I source these weatherproof boots?
Indeed! Before I came here to learn more I purchased an amcrest IP bullet camera which did not include one of these in the kit :(

( I will also try the plumbers tape on connections )

Last edited:

hionhifi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Indeed! Before I came here to learn more I purchased an amcrest IP bullet camera which did not include one of these in the kit :(

( I will also try the plumbers tape on connections )
I too had the AmCrest bullet cameras myself but decided to send the system back in favor of a the Dahua cameras, NVR and Software.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've used some of these and so far, so good with them. The good news is they use a split sealing washer so you can add them without having to cut an RJ45 already on the cable. The bad news is they won't mate to the RJ45 that's on the Hikvision and Dahua cameras. These are the ones I got:
Black RJ45 M25 IP67 Protection Double-ended Waterproof Connector Set of 5

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hionhifi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would think plastidip would work to waterproof the Rj45 connections. Has anyone used that?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score