Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was manually attempting to focus on the exit sign in all cases vs a compromise as the door is my prime objective. The focus slider was all the way to the right after about 2/3 zoom. If there was a tiny bit more i could focus it.

It is 23 feet to the exit sign. about 12 feet to the closest box.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was manually attempting to focus on the exit sign in all cases vs a compromise as the door is my prime objective. The focus slider was all the way to the right after about 2/3 zoom. If there was a tiny bit more i could focus it.

It is 23 feet to the exit sign. about 12 feet to the closest box.
I just put two of these in at a indoor hallway. One seems fine but the other seems to run out of focus range at about 2/3 zoom. I will probably contact Andy, but wanted to ask if anyone else has seen this occur?
Swap the cameras to determine of it's a dof issue or something wrong with one of the cameras. If it's a DOF issue, zoom out or switch to a cam with a higher f-stop / smaller aperture.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just put two of these in at a indoor hallway. One seems fine but the other seems to run out of focus range at about 2/3 zoom. I will probably contact Andy, but wanted to ask if anyone else has seen this occur?
Nope. That is busted.

Doubtful that is a depth of field issue as there is nothing in the frame that is in focus.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
any funny sounds like it's getting hung up on a silica packet?

Reaction score
Anyone know the quickest way to change the network info of my new Dahua cam. My 192.254 network doesn't see the camera (Default 192.168.1.108). I am using the dahua config tool on Windows 10. Do I need to revert my router back to 192.168........?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know the quickest way to change the network info of my new Dahua cam. My 192.254 network doesn't see the camera (Default 192.168.1.108). I am using the dahua config tool on Windows 10. Do I need to revert my router back to 192.168........?
No need to change your router, but you could. 192.254 isn't a private ip range, 192.168.254.0 is

Temporarily assign your computer a static ip in the same subnet as the the camera eg 192.168.1.101. Log in to the camera and change it's ip addr. Then set your computer back to dhcp. Your computer will temporarily loose the ability to connect to the internet until you set it back to dhcp.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No need to change your router, but you could. 192.254 isn't a private ip range, 192.168.254.0 is

Temporarily assign your computer a static up in the same subnet as the the camera eg 192.168.1.101. Log in to the camera and change it's ip addr. Then set your computer back to dhcp. Your computer will temporarily loose the ability to connect to the internet until you set it back to dhcp.
Thank you! That worked!

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have one setup just about exactly what you are talking about - 7.5 feet up and under the eave pointed back towards my driveway. It seems that with the lights on my garage the IR doesn't need to turn on. Picture attached.

View attachment 18023
Driveway cam for wife and I. It's mounted 15' above the driveway at least.

Attachments

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nope. That is busted.

Doubtful that is a depth of field issue as there is nothing in the frame that is in focus.
any funny sounds like it's getting hung up on a silica packet?
I took a look inside to see if there might be an issue in there that i could spot and not have to send it back to Andy in Hong Kong.

I discovered and fixed the issue. It turns out to be there was a slight excess of glue between the lens and the sensor body, increasing the distance between the two. I removed the excess with an eXacto knife and pressed the lens back in place. There is plenty of friction to keep it from moving on its own, so no additional glue was needed. It works fine now!

Attachments

RY7

n3wb
Reaction score
Ordered from DragonEye on Aliexpress mid April, then find out they are not in stock and they have added a fake tracking number to my account to keep the order.

Thinking about cancelling, due to their dodgy selling tactics.

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ordered from DragonEye on Aliexpress mid April, then find out they are not in stock and they have added a fake tracking number to my account to keep the order.

Thinking about cancelling, due to their dodgy selling tactics.
do. then get in touch with andy asap to get in on the May 20th shipment.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yesterday shipped 90pcs out, tomorrow another 40pcs, the 90pcs one can be delivered this Friday or Monday, can update the tracking tonight, today whole day at warehouse, have a container of goods go to JAPAN.LOL.
Will have enough stock later again 10days later.

Reactions: ypl

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Had a fox come through early this morning on my Starlight Turret. It didn't trip the ptz which would have grabbed better footage I'm sure. WDR was enabled on this camera and it really allows you to see deep into the scene. But it really washes out the recording. I want to add a few IR floods around the house. Any recommendations? All of my camera's are Dahua via Andy. <- He's awesome!

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is there an online DAV player or an online DAV-AVI converter.
Looking for a way to play dav files on a work pc where i cannot install software.
thanks

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The last set of cameras I bought had compatibility issues. I already have this NVR and just want to run this by y'all that it'll be compatible before jumping in to this camera:

NSN-608-8P 8 Channel POE Plug N Play Hi Def NVR Recorder - Nelly's Security
Don't mix and match Hikvision or Hikvision OEM with any other brand.

Dahua's ONVIF implementation is miles better than Hikvision in my experience. So the issue is the NVR. I have initial issues connected Dahua to my Hik NVR and I'm not a newb.

If you buy this camera and want it to work as simply as possible? Go buy a Dahua PoE NVR e.g. NVR-1104-4P, NVR4104-4P, NVR4208-8P - the beauty of this camera being 2MP is you can do a real budget setup with the NVR1104-4P and get a super setup.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Had a fox come through early this morning on my Starlight Turret. It didn't trip the ptz which would have grabbed better footage I'm sure. WDR was enabled on this camera and it really allows you to see deep into the scene. But it really washes out the recording. I want to add a few IR floods around the house. Any recommendations? All of my camera's are Dahua via Andy. <- He's awesome!
So it tripped the IVS on this camera?
I think you could set the PTZ to go to a preset based on this cameras IVS event. Not sure exactly how to do that, but i feel like its probably possible. Just a thought.

JSec

n3wb
Reaction score
Yesterday shipped 90pcs out, tomorrow another 40pcs, the 90pcs one can be delivered this Friday or Monday, can update the tracking tonight, today whole day at warehouse, have a container of goods go to JAPAN.LOL.
Will have enough stock later again 10days later.
Andy - can I please get a status on order KING0655? PM me. Thanks!

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I want to add a few IR floods around the house. Any recommendations? All of my camera's are Dahua via Andy. <- He's awesome!
HD, I've had good luck with these for $11.99 on Amazon. They are IP65 outdoor rated, 12V with 4 LED's with 130 feet of range. Included pic is 52 feet away and helping an HDBW5231R-Z. Also, they have a photocell so they only turn on when necessary.

Amazon.com : JC 4pcs High Power LED IR Array Illuminator IR Lamp Wide Angle for Night Vision CCTV and IP Camera : Camera & Photo

We needed more light in the corner by the man door and overhead door. It looked like the center of the picture before adding the IR cannon.

SD

Barn 4 LED Illuminator.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. My back and side yard are dark. WDR is great and all but it really washes out the picture. The fox i had come through this morning was extremely hard to see. At that price, can't help but try it. Thanks