Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi, Bought a IPC-HDW5231R-Z from Andy. using 2017-09 firmware. No continuous recording. Since I am a noob, I decided to get the basics right and then explore NVR or BI. Currently using Dahua
web interface to manage & installed SD card inside the camre unit. Camera installed flush to soffit of garage and positioned to watch my front door/entrance. I set up camera to send me e-mail alerts
using IVS. Everything was working fine, I get alerts with person's image etc., until a week ago when Camera stopped suddenly. Disconnect and reconnect POE switch put it back on track.
Now, I thought that reset was the problem, as I get alerts after person passed the viewing angle with just my entrance/front door. I modified, added IVS rules (currently 6). Only yesterday
I noticed that if I walk quickly to front door and back, camera captures picture after I left the area. Most delivery is behind schedule US ( not in reality but Amazon's prime induced),
looks like delivery person is just running to door and running back to Van. Even then some are supposed to take picture and upload to Amazon. But those aren't captured as well. I tried to
reduce delay in IVS but 10 secods is the min in IVS. If someone walks to front door and rings bell and waits, those are captured. If I stand there for few seconds, that is captures too.
As I said, i am a noob. is IVS overkill for me? other simple feature to capture and send images? any help is greatly appreciated.

Use regular motion detection if you want to capture everything that moving in front of the len no matter how fast or slow it moving but I would not recommend motion detection if you live in a bug infected area and uses IR at nighttime.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, Bought a IPC-HDW5231R-Z from Andy. using 2017-09 firmware. No continuous recording. Since I am a noob, I decided to get the basics right and then explore NVR or BI. Currently using Dahua
web interface to manage & installed SD card inside the camre unit. Camera installed flush to soffit of garage and positioned to watch my front door/entrance. I set up camera to send me e-mail alerts
using IVS. Everything was working fine, I get alerts with person's image etc., until a week ago when Camera stopped suddenly. Disconnect and reconnect POE switch put it back on track.
Now, I thought that reset was the problem, as I get alerts after person passed the viewing angle with just my entrance/front door. I modified, added IVS rules (currently 6). Only yesterday
I noticed that if I walk quickly to front door and back, camera captures picture after I left the area. Most delivery is behind schedule US ( not in reality but Amazon's prime induced),
looks like delivery person is just running to door and running back to Van. Even then some are supposed to take picture and upload to Amazon. But those aren't captured as well. I tried to
reduce delay in IVS but 10 secods is the min in IVS. If someone walks to front door and rings bell and waits, those are captured. If I stand there for few seconds, that is captures too.
As I said, i am a noob. is IVS overkill for me? other simple feature to capture and send images? any help is greatly appreciated.
Do I understand the cam is uploading the pics to Amazon cloud? This could be the delay.

irarum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do I understand the cam is uploading the pics to Amazon cloud? This could be the delay.
No. Recording to SD card inside the camera and sending me as attachment in alert email.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

irarum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would set the cam back to factory defaults, and setup again.
Do you mean using Dahua web interface? Andy just told me there is November firmware for this camera. I might as well do both. Any thing to watch out for while doing firmware upgrade? Don't want mess this up or something

slowhand23

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello All, can the varifocal zoom be controlled through the app now?
Seems like I recall reading a thread that this was possible with a newer firmware release last year but having trouble finding it now.
Thanks!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you mean using Dahua web interface? Andy just told me there is November firmware for this camera. I might as well do both. Any thing to watch out for while doing firmware upgrade? Don't want mess this up or something

Yes.
If you made the cable, First test the cam on your bench with a short known good store bought cable. You don't want to be attempting firmware updates if the cable is at fault, you could brick the cam.
New firmware for IPC-HXX5231XX Released on 201711

Hello All, can the varifocal zoom be controlled through the app now?
Seems like I recall reading a thread that this was possible with a newer firmware release last year but having trouble finding it now.
Thanks!
Which app are you refering to? It's always worked with Tinycam Pro.
You do understand, this is not designed to be using the zoom frequently. It's meant to be set for your field of view, then left alone.

Last edited:

slowhand23

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Looney2ns! Yes, I understand the varifocal purpose, was thinking more during install if I could use idmss or dmss apps while on the ladder.

I need to try Tinycam Pro again, I played with it for a short time & had trouble finding my Dahua NVR & cams. Already had the Dahua apps working so just stuck with them.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had to drill out a set screw before?

I'm trying to replace a 5231 with a 5631, and so far I've broken the ends off of 3 of the drivers included with the 5231 trying to get the old camera down. The set screw on this camera simply won't come loose. To its credit, it hasn't stripped any...

Any thoughts or advice for how to get this #@!% down would be appreciated. :)

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you try lubrication with WD-40 or another petroleum-based product? I realize the threads are not exposed, but some might get in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I broke an end off of one of those when installing my 5231 a few weeks ago so I'm not looking forward to trying to remove it at any point.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are the tools really cheap or are you guys applying too much pressure? I never broke one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I'm trying to replace a 5231 with a 5631, and so far I've broken the ends off of 3 of the drivers included with the 5231 trying to get the old camera down. The set screw on this camera simply won't come loose. To its credit, it hasn't stripped any...

Yes, I have.
Try using a store bought real torx screw driver first, instead of the ones included.
If you or a neighbor has a impact drill driver, a torx bit in it would probably take it right out.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@giomania, I did try to use some PB B'laster on it...works great on rusty Jeeps (after setting overnight). I'm not sure any got into the threads, but see if it helped tomorrow. Naturally, this is my highest mounted camera.

I did try a store-bought tool like below, but the end snapped off as well:
31JGEkyzDkL.jpg
Going to give this a try:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076G23L5W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1BG3TM85RH370&psc=1

@looney2ns, if I do need to drill it out, do I just get a metal drill bit that's a little smaller than the bolt and chew it up until it falls out?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@giomania, I did try to use some PB B'laster on it...works great on rusty Jeeps (after setting overnight). I'm not sure any got into the threads, but see if it helped tomorrow. Naturally, this is my highest mounted camera.

I did try a store-bought tool like below, but the end snapped off as well:
View attachment 28590
Going to give this a try:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076G23L5W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1BG3TM85RH370&psc=1

@looney2ns, if I do need to drill it out, do I just get a metal drill bit that's a little smaller than the bolt and chew it up until it falls out?
Yes, use a bit small enough that it won't reach the threads in the hole. Is the screw corroded that you can see?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

irarum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes.
If you made the cable, First test the cam on your bench with a short known good store bought cable. You don't want to be attempting firmware updates if the cable is at fault, you could brick the cam.
New firmware for IPC-HXX5231XX Released on 201711

Which app are you refering to? It's always worked with Tinycam Pro.
You do understand, this is not designed to be using the zoom frequently. It's meant to be set for your field of view, then left alone.
Thank you. I am always using store bought. I didn't learn to make or terminate Ethernet cables yet. Reg. My issue with IVS not capturing motion at right time - I turned on regular motion detection as someone else pointed out. And it triggered bunch of alerts. So I played with sensitivity and threshold and it's lot better now. I can capture motion when it happens. There are occasional false alerts though. I am hesitant about upgrading firmware. May be this weekend.

Guido87

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

You can try to tighten the screw some more first and then screw loose.
Or put power on the screwdriver to loosen and knock on the screwdriver with a hammer.
The housing is aluminum and the screws are stainless steel. Stainless steel does not mean that it does not rust at all! stainless steel outside will rust through iron oxide in the open air. stainless steel and alumium is good combination. It is only due to aluminum corrosion that the stainless steel screw gets stuck. Therefore always apply bolt grease to the set screw or acid free Vaseline.

The screw is stainless steel,
so with drilling use a correct drill, no ordinary steel drill bit.