Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Reaction score
How big of area are we talking about?
The area is literally 28'x12'. Pretty small area for a cam.

I have the cat-5 and power all ready to go. The cam will sit in the corner somewhere beyond the light so I can see every corner of the aviary

20180504_130251 (Small).jpg

20180504_130259 (Small).jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The area is literally 28'x12'. Pretty small area for a cam.

I have the cat-5 and power all ready to go. The cam will sit in the corner somewhere beyond the light so I can see every corner of the aviary

View attachment 29194

View attachment 29195
This camera, as Andy suggested would work for you. It has IR and sound built in.
it will also hold a 128gb SD card, so you could record to that if you'd wish.
The videos can be retrieved through the cameras web interface.
It is also POE powered, which means that is powered over the Ethernet cable, no separate power supply required in the Aviary.
You would power the camera via something like this, located at the opposite end of the Ethernet cable. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Desktop/dp/B01MRO4M73/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525460012&sr=8-3&keywords=poe+switch
SD29204T-GN
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/3781

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
This camera, as Andy suggested would work for you. It has IR and sound built in.
it will also hold a 128gb SD card, so you could record to that if you'd wish.
The videos can be retrieved through the cameras web interface.
It is also POE powered, which means that is powered over the Ethernet cable, no separate power supply required in the Aviary.
You would power the camera via something like this, located at the opposite end of the Ethernet cable. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Desktop/dp/B01MRO4M73/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525460012&sr=8-3&keywords=poe+switch
SD29204T-GN
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/3781
While you posted that, I was comparing that same camera against the SD1A203T-GN

The only relevant differences I see are
Optical zoom: 3x vs 4x ( I have been unimpressed with my birdroom cam which has 3x digital zoom - sometimes I need to see what they have in their beaks)
Starvis CMOS - not sure I need that, IR is more important as I have super bright LEDs in there and will use the IR when the LEDs are off.
Compression: H.264 vs H.265. From what I'm reading is uses about half the bandwidth for live stream. I'll have two cameras max.

I'm about to pull the plug on one of these if you have further advice.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Starvis is a low light CMOS. For an eample, I have a 5231R-Z looking at my driveway that gets no real light other than moon, stars and street lights, the nearest of which is 200-300 feet away. I can "force" a color image at night, albeit a little on the noisy side. Personally, I'd stick with the Starvis but I also have cameras with similar size, non Starvis, CMOS and they provide an acceptable picture, no noise at all, without IR, but in black and white. The street light is closer to that camera though, say 100 to 150 feet.

Guido87

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the cam suggestion. I'll have a look at the wiki too. Andy had recommended the SD29204T-GN-W as "good enough" or the IPC-HDW5231R-Z for what I want. This is going in an aviary so no exposure to the elements which is why I believe he went with the first. I guess I didn't mention to him I really need PTZ.
Maybe the A46 is also an option?
Is in the consumer range. Ptz with 2way audio. You can mount it upside down.
Its 4mp and its sharp with daylight. Its much sharper then the k35a 3mp i have inside. The IR is good. Only thing is that this one has no webgui. Can use the a35 that one has webgui, is 3mp. Its not a speeddome. But movement is not slow. Iam waiting for the ptz dome sd22404t-gn. That is faster ptz and 4mp.
The a46 you can setup with the app. An then use tinycam or something to view it.
Hopefully i helped a bit.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Think of varifocal cameras like buying the right fixed focal length camera for each application. Say you need 3 cameras, and you think that you will need a wide angle with a 4mm lens, a moderate angle with an 8mm lens and one a narrow angle with a 12mm lens.

So you order these three cameras and it turns out that once they are mounted the 4mm is a little too wide angle and a 4.5mm or a 5mm would have been a better fit. The 8mm is pretty much perfect but the 12mm is a little too zoomed in and narrow so an 11mm or even a 10.5mm would have been a better choice. If instead of buying 3 fixed focal length cameras you had bought 3 varifocal cameras such as the 5231R-Z then you can adjust the focal length to the perfect fit for each of the 3 cameras. Once the three varifocal cameras are mounted and zoomed to the perfect focal length they are left that way pretty much forever. The pan and tilt aspects of a varifocal camera are utterly manual, you have to physically adjust these aspects each time you want them changed.

Compare and contrast a PTZ or Pan Tilt Zoom camera which are necessarily more expensive as they have motors to pan the camera and motors to tilt the camera in addition to the motors to zoom the camera. A PTZ camera is designed to be in anything between constant motion to infrequent motion.

PTZ cameras do come in a wide variety of prices. As the old adage goes, you get what you pay for. An inexpensive PTZ camera such as a logitech or Arlo might be suitable for your needs but perhaps you would be better served with a slightly more expensive PTZ camera. PTZ cameras can range from less than $100 to $15,000 or more. The sub $100 category looks like a minefield of trouble to me, I did a google search for "cheapest ptz camera" and naturally eBay was the top result. Some of them are brand names I recognize but can only imagine they are knock offs or scams at that low a price, I could of course be wrong but I am not willing to roll those particular dice. The majority of PTZ cameras you will see on this site with high regard are probably in the $150 to $1,400 range depending on bells and whistles. One of the biggest jumps in price occurs when a camera is "outdoor" rated and so able to withstand the elements to a lesser or greater degree. The PTZ camera @looney2ns mentioned (Dahua SD29204T-GN for $170) looks like an excellent fit for your needs

The enclosure you want to view is not very large so optical zoom is of limited benefit. It appears to be well protected from the elements so you could probably get away with an indoor rated camera. The thing that might make a big difference for you is BLC (Back Light Compensation), WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) and DWDR (Digital Wide Dynamic Range) etc. These technologies address how the camera handles a scene with part of it in deep shadow and part of it in direct sunlight. These technologies work to ultimately darken the bright areas and brighten the dark areas to try to make everything visible to the viewer. The different technologies have their own strengths and weaknesses, and even the best or highest regarded of these technologies still have a cost associated with their use such as washed out colors or graininess etc.

This question you face of which camera to buy is not unlike which car to buy. Do you want ultra basic and therefore the least expensive? do you have to haul a trailer up a hill? do you want to have speeds in excess of 175mph? do you want maximum fuel efficiency? etc. Just as there is no perfect car that fits all these needs so too is there no perfect security camera that fits all needs. Fortunately this site contains a great wealth of knowledge that can be readily searched for and if the answers are still unclear there are a great many users here who will gladly help.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
<snip>
<snip>
Hope this helps

Great info. I did contact Andy about the SD29204T-GN and he's out-of-stock on those. So I'm considering the SD1A203T-GN instead. It's only a few dollars more, and I thing it might look better too.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I'm considering the SD1A203T-GN instead. It's only a few dollars more, and I thing it might look better too.
This is becoming my favorite camera. Being able to remotely connect to it and manually PTZ it around (when I'm curious as to what's going on outside of its normal view) has been a very useful feature.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Great info. I did contact Andy about the SD29204T-GN and he's out-of-stock on those. So I'm considering the SD1A203T-GN instead. It's only a few dollars more, and I thing it might look better too.
SD29204T-GN too big and not waterproof, so not recommend.

Reaction score
Anyone know where I could get parts for this camera? The one I bought last fall has died with a similar problem to the ones some had earlier where the camera would just shut off one day and then only stay on for a few minutes before shutting off again.

I have two other identical cameras on the same firmware and network and switch that are fine and went through all the usual testing and resetting.

The aliexpress vendor offers a 2 year warranty but I can't find a way to ship it back to them with a tracking number for much less than $100 CAD which is about half the price of a new camera and I have to pay for the return shipping also.

So now Im wondering if there are known part numbers for the boards that I could buy somewhere and just attempt my own repair. I cant realistically solder ICs onto a board, but I can handle replacing the larger parts.

Any ideas?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone know where I could get parts for this camera? The one I bought last fall has died with a similar problem to the ones some had earlier where the camera would just shut off one day and then only stay on for a few minutes before shutting off again.

I have two other identical cameras on the same firmware and network and switch that are fine and went through all the usual testing and resetting.

The aliexpress vendor offers a 2 year warranty but I can't find a way to ship it back to them with a tracking number for much less than $100 CAD which is about half the price of a new camera and I have to pay for the return shipping also.

So now Im wondering if there are known part numbers for the boards that I could buy somewhere and just attempt my own repair. I cant realistically solder ICs onto a board, but I can handle replacing the larger parts.

Any ideas?
You can ask them to ship parts to you, i think they won't do anything till you send back the cam,maybe sent back they do nothing~ you can make a try, because you bought months ago, and lost protections. For the guys buying from us, normally we ship to HK and we pick up there and send to dahua fixing department, replace parts and ship back, easy and fast, just need sometime, last time a guy's camera leakage, dahua ship me a brand new one for that client.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
You can't adjust the PT on this cam? I found the specs below. This is a manual PT cam? I need something that will allow me to control the PTZ offsite. This may not be the cam for me then.

Pan/Tilt/Rotation

Pan/Tilt/Rotation Range

Pan:0˚~360˚; Tilt:0˚~78˚; Rotation:0˚~360˚

yes, you are right... you need a true PTZ camera, not a varifocal...

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking for something similar with US warranty and support. (Blue Iris compatible POE camera with good optics for outdoor use and good nighttime capabilities--distance up to 75 feet maybe).

I know it will likely cost more $. I like the idea of this camera and the money savings involved, but I'd like something that has a well known US retailer behind it. Anything similar that B&H Photo has, for example? Or even another brand since Dahua retail options in US seem limited. Love the review and seems like an awesome camera, though!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking for something similar with US warranty and support. (POE camera with good optics for outdoor use and good nighttime capabilities--distance up to 75 feet maybe).

I know it will likely cost more $. I like the idea of this camera and the money savings involved, but I'd like something that has a well known US retailer behind it. Anything similar that B&H Photo has, for example? Or even another brand since Dahua retail options in US seem limited. Love the review and seems like an awesome camera, though!
Why pay double when you can warranty yourself? There is no us equivalent to this varifocal turret..only a fixed turret or varifocal dome or bullets...

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Why pay double when you can warranty yourself? There is no us equivalent to this varifocal turret..only a fixed turret or varifocal dome or bullets...
he can use the money buy 2 more cams, just need a little learn here, seems right now no guys said he can't use the camera due to the complicated tech..