Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am using CAT5E as it is easier to work with, cheaper, and I already have 2000ft of it available. There is nothing on my network that can even use CAT6a speeds, nor do I think there will be anytime soon. I have 45M internet and that is the fastest I can get in my area so CAT5e is plenty fine for me. Within the confines of the "server room" I might eventually put in some CAT6(a) for high speed backups between servers but I don't have anything like that yet.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sounds like a serious install. I thought about using voip phones at home but seriously I haven't needed more than a cell phone in many many years lol. I barely talk on it let alone having hand sets. If I ever buy a house I will plan to do a serious setup but I rent so I'm just kind of rigging things up in a non permanent way. I like the sound of your install though.
Yeah it is going to be a ton of work.

The VoIP phones are, at least initially, going to be primarily for intercom and interior/exterior communications. I have grand plans of being able to follow in the footsteps of @nayr with home automation and the VoIP phones.

One of the things I am hoping to achieve is someone walking up my driveway would pause my TV show (if I am watching something on TV) and switch the TV to the live cam feed so I can see what is going on. Additionally I would like to setup 2 dedicated ALPR cams also like @nayr has.

Basically all the of totally awesome and amazing things @nayr has done is where I would like to be too, budget and time are my limiting factors at present.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

you can see a bit of the blue wiring behind it where it goes through he concrete and right into my basement.. Ive since covered that wiring with some black plastic cable sheathing from the automotive department.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I am using CAT5E as it is easier to work with, cheaper, and I already have 2000ft of it available. There is nothing on my network that can even use CAT6a speeds, nor do I think there will be anytime soon. I have 45M internet and that is the fastest I can get in my area so CAT5e is plenty fine for me. Within the confines of the "server room" I might eventually put in some CAT6(a) for high speed backups between servers but I don't have anything like that yet.
Same boat, I have a big spool I got for free a while back of 5e and none of my runs are all that long, cat6 comes in to play if you plan to do really long POE runs though like maybe more than 100 meters, there are calculators online where you can punch in everything and it will tell you how much power drop you will have at the device so you can figure out if you would even need cat6, also the connectors are a little better because the little wires don't have to go out very far from the twisted section, I use cat 6 connectors on my cat 5e cable, if you don't already use it, and make your own cables, I suggest the easy RJ45 crimper and connectors, so nice.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And of course when I actually get around to putting serious time into this project, I would think around Spring, I promise to take loads of install pics and post them here for all.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

you can see a bit of the blue wiring behind it where it goes through he concrete and right into my basement.. Ive since covered that wiring with some black plastic cable sheathing from the automotive department.

That's pretty awesome, I assume you have to aim pretty far down the street because of the angle, I was just scoping out some install locations today.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All the conduit is going to be 3/4"

I am planning on having the gear in the garage with the switch and patch panel etc. I am going to run the cables from the garage internally into the attic and exit the attic under the eaves on the north side of the house. From there I was going to run 2 conduits west and initially probably 6 conduits east. At each camera location there is going to be a junction box and the number of conduits drops as cables are used by cameras or are fed into the house for various other uses. I am also planning on running RG-6 (I think that is the right one for DirecTV) in the same conduits to feed to various locations around my home. Additionally some of the network cables will be used for computers, viewing the security cam feeds on TVs, Playstations, Roku4, and VOIP phone handsets. It is going to be an ordeal I am sure, but ultimately worth it once I (if I ever) finish it.
If you have attic access, why use so much conduit for the cams? That's a lot of extra work. Just run a network cable to each soffit location from the attic.

Directv requirement is RG6 quad-shielded cable with a solid copper conductor. NOT copper coated steel. If you are doing your own install, this is not the place to cheap-out. Solid copper conductor allows for the required power from the receivers to the dish at a much greater distance.

Reactions: Tic

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's pretty awesome, I assume you have to aim pretty far down the street because of the angle, I was just scoping out some install locations today.
~180ft, had to go low to get under neighbors tree.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thats too hard to say for sure; you'd have to see.. might use a junction box as a simple spacer if you need to get it further away for your desired FOV.
For me, it's either that (spacer), mount it on the wall under the soffit, or just simply turn the IR off. I think I'll tackle the last one first since it's the easiest and besides we just had our street lamps upgraded a couple months ago from yellow to white and it's a good thing there is one right in front of our house -- see if that is good enough for this owl.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have attic access, why use so much conduit for the cams? That's a lot of extra work. Just run a network cable to each soffit location from the attic.
That's exactly how I ran all my meow6 cables from soffit to NVR. It's just a matter of locating where the high voltage lines are and keep the data cables away from them at least a foot and cross them at 90º.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
For me, it's either that (spacer), mount it on the wall under the soffit, or just simply turn the IR off. I think I'll tackle the last one first since it's the easiest and besides we just had our street lamps upgraded a couple months ago from yellow to white and it's a good thing there is one right in front of our house -- see if that is good enough for this owl.

Experiment, experiment, experiment.

Reactions: Tic

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Happy new year to everyone! Just back from a short holiday and back to work today.
Have some updates here.
Got another stocks in, and shipped 32 parcels yesterday,but not enough for the guys who make the order on aliexpress, for the ones using paypal can be processed no problem.
Just wait for my updates for the tracking. If can't ship out, i will send message to you.

Appreciated for your support. Here will have a long Chinese new year holiday from Jan.22th-Feb. 6th. new stock will comes arond 20th So will not sell anymore till the stock in. But if you can wait or anything need my support, just skype to me, my skype ID is andy.tenvis

Andy

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Happy new year to everyone! Just back from a short holiday and back to work today.
Have some updates here.
Got another stocks in, and shipped 32 parcels yesterday,but not enough for the guys who make the order on aliexpress, for the ones using paypal can be processed no problem.
Just wait for my updates for the tracking. If can't ship out, i will send message to you.

Appreciated for your support. Here will have a long Chinese new year holiday from Jan.22th-Feb. 6th. new stock will comes arond 20th So will not sell anymore till the stock in. But if you can wait or anything need my support, just skype to me, my skype ID is andy.tenvis

Andy
Soooo, the camera I ordered last week via AliExpress didn't ship today?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Have some updates here.

Andy
Is it faster or better if I pay with PayPal next time?

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have some updates here.

Andy
Happy New Year to you too from all of us here at ipcamtalk!:):D;)

Iceman24

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ordered 12/25 back when price went down to $171. There were still quite a few in stock, so can I expect them to shop shortly?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yes Jacksonian, it's faster and no hiccups and do PayPal like I did. But no worries Andy is the man.
i will update the tracking in our afternoon time. today i still have some cams here not ship out, will do my best.:)