Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

stekko

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello to everyone! This Great cam now is in my hands after only 3 days !! (I live in Italy) Many thanks to Andy and everyone in this forum for sharing knowledges! The cam is very solid one. The picture is very nice. I'll use it for weather purpouse.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can adjust Zoom/Focus directly on the cameras WebUI; but if you expect the PTZ Zoom/Focus controls in BlueIris to do anything they will not; because this camera does not respond to ONVIF PTZ Commands like a real Dahua PTZ would.

There is an external API Capable of zooming the camera, but not focusing it (it always triggers an autofocus).. Perhaps the BlueIris developer could implement it in the software, but someone would have to request it and provide him access to a camera for testing.
Maybe I'll look into that with BI.

billv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can adjust Zoom/Focus directly on the cameras WebUI; but if you expect the PTZ Zoom/Focus controls in BlueIris to do anything they will not; because this camera does not respond to ONVIF PTZ Commands like a real Dahua PTZ would.

There is an external API Capable of zooming the camera, but not focusing it (it always triggers an autofocus).. Perhaps the BlueIris developer could implement it in the software, but someone would have to request it and provide him access to a camera for testing.
Can you use the Custom HTTP to set up the zoom/focus?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you use the Custom HTTP to set up the zoom/focus?
Code:
/cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=getFocusStatus
/cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=adjustFocus&focus=0&zoom=0
both of those HTTP Commands work (run the first one to get current value to zoom back too), however when specifying a focus value it will ignore it and do an autofocus once its done moving the zoom.. so trying to make it quicker by landing on a focus you've already determined (kinda like a preset) dont work out so well. After its done auto-focusing it you can run it again with same zoom level and it'll take the focus, but any focus commands sent while autofocusing are ignored.

still could be useful for changing the zoom at like sunrise/sunset.. just dont do it in conditions where it cant autofocus (IR off and no light, or fixed very high shutter speeds).. or else try sending the command twice with a wait period long enough for autofocus to give up.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for posting such an extensive review and contributing so much to this site @nayr

I am looking forward to owning a few of these cameras myself.

First I have to run EMT conduit around the outside of my house for the cables, was waiting for the holidays and weather to pass me by. Should be a great deal of work, hopefully I don't too many mistakes putting up the conduit.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you mean like this:
View attachment 12316

as I said earlier you can rotate the image in settings by 90 degree intervals.. so clock that flat side to whatever orientation you desire.

just be weary of IR reflection, I suspect with as sensitive as this thing is it wont take well to soffits blasting most of the IR back
If mounted on a soffit w/ gutter and zoomed out max at 97º x 52º (v) and the latter angle just clears the soffit and bottom of gutter, will it still have problems w/ IR reflection even if the eyeball is already angled downward?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@smoothie, you should pick your locations first w/camera and then run conduit to it; the view you think you have and the view you end up getting are rarely the same until you've done this a few times.. as I was saying in another thread today; a big benifit to DIY installing over hiring a pro is you can take your sweet time.. install locations can make or break a camera, you'd be amazed what a few feet difference can make.

installing conduit is pretty easy, its like making things w/legos.. the big thing is learning how to use the bender to get your measurements out right, start off giving your self a few inches on both sides of a bend and you can always cut the excess off easy enough than ending up w/a long bend thats too short in the end.. videos on youtube do a decent job explaining the basic 90's and others and you can always practice on a few pieces, its pretty cheap in the scheme of things.

i make all sorts of things w/my conduit bender, bug zapper holders, minature greenhouses to go over garden box, equipment in garage, have bent conduit behind fish tank painted same color as wall to hide cabling.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If mounted on a soffit w/ gutter and zoomed out max at 97º x 52º (v) and the latter angle just clears the soffit and bottom of gutter, will it still have problems w/ IR reflection even if the eyeball is already angled downward?
thats too hard to say for sure; you'd have to see.. might use a junction box as a simple spacer if you need to get it further away for your desired FOV.

Reactions: Tic

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@smoothie, you should pick your locations first w/camera and then run conduit to it; the view you think you have and the view you end up getting are rarely the same until you've done this a few times.. as I was saying in another thread today; a big benifit to DIY installing over hiring a pro is you can take your sweet time.. install locations can make or break a camera, you'd be amazed what a few feet difference can make...
Thanks @nayr that is sound advice. I have existing cams up, 8 of them, but they are old school D1 analogs so I hate to even call them cameras in 2017 and I am sure their FOV and view would not necessarily translate to the new Dahua IP cams.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was thinking of suggesting a piece of 2x4 as a spacer but
thats too hard to say for sure; you'd have to see.. might use a junction box as a simple spacer if you need to get it further away for your desired FOV.
I think @nayr has the right idea, since a junction box is probably going to be part of the install anyway using as a spacer is an elegant solution, better than my piece of wood I think.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for posting such an extensive review and contributing so much to this site @nayr

I am looking forward to owning a few of these cameras myself.

First I have to run EMT conduit around the outside of my house for the cables, was waiting for the holidays and weather to pass me by. Should be a great deal of work, hopefully I don't too many mistakes putting up the conduit.
What diameter are you going with? I would hate trying to decide because you have to guess what your final number of cameras will be lol.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I was thinking of suggesting a piece of 2x4 as a spacer but
I think @nayr has the right idea, since a junction box is probably going to be part of the install anyway using as a spacer is an elegant solution, better than my piece of wood I think.
So what does everyone use as a test rig to put a camera in place to see what it looks like and make tweaks before you drill holes? I've been using a ladder and my laptop but between that and manual varifocal cameras my turret can't get here soon enough. I was thinking maybe a camera tripod that can extend up high enough to hold a camera near the eave.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
bucket + 2x4 + rocks is the most basic, you can go from there.. just make sure its sturdy enough not to get knocked over and dont string un-waterpoofed ethernet when there's a chance of precipitation.. if your going up really high you just use a bigger 2x4 and stake down some guy wires or something to keep it from falling.

ladders work well too.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What diameter are you going with? I would hate trying to decide because you have to guess what your final number of cameras will be lol.
All the conduit is going to be 3/4"

I am planning on having the gear in the garage with the switch and patch panel etc. I am going to run the cables from the garage internally into the attic and exit the attic under the eaves on the north side of the house. From there I was going to run 2 conduits west and initially probably 6 conduits east. At each camera location there is going to be a junction box and the number of conduits drops as cables are used by cameras or are fed into the house for various other uses. I am also planning on running RG-6 (I think that is the right one for DirecTV) in the same conduits to feed to various locations around my home. Additionally some of the network cables will be used for computers, viewing the security cam feeds on TVs, Playstations, Roku4, and VOIP phone handsets. It is going to be an ordeal I am sure, but ultimately worth it once I (if I ever) finish it.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
bucket + 2x4 + rocks is the most basic, you can go from there.. just make sure its sturdy enough not to get knocked over and dont string un-waterpoofed ethernet when there's a chance of precipitation.. if your going up really high you just use a bigger 2x4 and stake down some guy wires or something to keep it from falling.

ladders work well too.
Waterproof cat6 is like $1 a foot lol. Damn, maybe if I was doing direct burial, but I've run regular old cat 5e under an eave and into a junction box without any issues I mean it's not like water is going to get in through 2 layers of insulation. I guess that could be luck but damn, that stuff is pricey lol.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if its not exposed to the sun or buried you can get away with normal ethernet outside, just make sure its not a drain for liquids into your house..

tucked behind siding and under soffits its generally protected from UV that will destroy all the insulators.

The connection pigtail should be sealed off with self sealing tape, you cant have any water ingress on the power plugs or the camera will fry something.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
All the conduit is going to be 3/4"

I am planning on having the gear in the garage with the switch and patch panel etc. I am going to run the cables from the garage internally into the attic and exit the attic under the eaves on the north side of the house. From there I was going to run 2 conduits west and initially probably 6 conduits east. At each camera location there is going to be a junction box and the number of conduits drops as cables are used by cameras or are fed into the house for various other uses. I am also planning on running RG-6 (I think that is the right one for DirecTV) in the same conduits to feed to various locations around my home. Additionally some of the network cables will be used for computers, viewing the security cam feeds on TVs, Playstations, Roku4, and VOIP phone handsets. It is going to be an ordeal I am sure, but ultimately worth it once I (if I ever) finish it.
Sounds like a serious install. I thought about using voip phones at home but seriously I haven't needed more than a cell phone in many many years lol. I barely talk on it let alone having hand sets. If I ever buy a house I will plan to do a serious setup but I rent so I'm just kind of rigging things up in a non permanent way. I like the sound of your install though.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
if its not exposed to the sun or buried you can get away with normal ethernet outside, just make sure its not a drain for liquids into your house..

tucked behind siding and under soffits its generally protected from UV that will destroy all the insulators.

The connection pigtail should be sealed off with self sealing tape..
so true, been meaning to ask you about your license plate cam, did you burry wire to get to it? I think you said it's disguised in a bird house?