Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone using this camera with Blue Iris able to get the motoroized zoom to function in BI?
Ive tried different Dauha selections available
It works via the Daua GUI, so not a big issue...I just wanted it to work in BI like it does for my mini blackface PTZ (the zoom, not the P&T since it does not have that of course.).
Also cant get BI to turn the IR on/off.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone using this camera with Blue Iris able to get the motoroized zoom to function in BI?
Ive tried different Dauha selections available
It works via the Daua GUI, so not a big issue...I just wanted it to work in BI like it does for my mini blackface PTZ (the zoom, not the P&T since it does not have that of course.).
Also cant get BI to turn the IR on/off.
try onvif in the ptz dropdown..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the motorized zoom dont seem to respond to ONVIF PTZ commands; but its not a PTZ so thats not surprising..

SmartPSS cant operate the Zoom either like a PTZ.. supposed to set it and forget it.. like an unmotorized varifocal except less a pain in the ass because you dont need to focus it from a display standing ontop of a ladder.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
.. like an unmotorized varifocal except less a pain in the ass because you dont need to focus it from a display standing ontop of a ladder.
Yeah I know, but of course I have quickly found when setting up that optimal zoom from the comfort of my heated basement...I then realize as I zoom in...I still need to go back out on a ladder anyway to re-center or change the angle of the view.
I stars questioning the point of motorized varifocals. I dont see a situation where wanting to change my zoom will not also require me to manually readjust the pan/ tilt and angle.
It makes me wish there was an outdoor rated miniblackface PTZ of similar quality produced.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I know, but of course I have quickly found when setting up that optimal zoom from the comfort of my heated basement...I then realize as I zoom in...I still need to go back out on a ladder anyway to re-center or change the angle of the view.
I stars questioning the point of motorized varifocals. I dont see a situation where wanting to change my zoom will not also require me to manually readjust the pan/ tilt and angle.
It makes me wish there was an outdoor rated miniblackface PTZ of similar quality produced.
Once you start messing with a manual varifocal camera and have to remove the dome/cover to make any changes and fiddle with the fine tuning to get the focus just right you will quickly realize the benefit for motorized varifocal...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah zooming w/out pan and tilt is very limiting.. but if you've ever tried zooming and focusing manually its a huge pita, your smartphone will work fine for adjusting the field of view but its really not large enough to see if the focus is dialed in or not.. need a laptop size display for that or bigger.. and try holding that in one hand while you twist the barrel with the other and while on a high rung on a ladder heh.. usually a 2 person job with someone telling you when to stop so u dont have to go up and down.

on a camera chassis such as this, you'd have to take the whole thing down and rip it apart to make any tweaks.. ugh

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
SmartPSS cant operate the Zoom either like a PTZ.. supposed to set it and forget it.. like an unmotorized varifocal except less a pain in the ass because you dont need to focus it from a display standing ontop of a ladder.
This brings up another question about this cam. DAHUA IPC-HDW5231R-Z In the specifications under audio there is a line item for audio compression; "Compression: G.711a/ G.711Mu/ AAC/ G.726" However, there is no mention of a microphone.??

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah zooming w/out pan and tilt is very limiting.. but if you've ever tried zooming and focusing manually its a huge pita, your smartphone will work fine for adjusting the field of view but its really not large enough to see if the focus is dialed in or not.. need a laptop size display for that or bigger.. and try holding that in one hand while you twist the barrel with the other and while on a high rung on a ladder heh.. usually a 2 person job with someone telling you when to stop so u dont have to go up and down.

on a camera chassis such as this, you'd have to take the whole thing down and rip it apart to make any tweaks.. ugh
Amen to that, I have two manual varifocal hikvision bullets and it's annoying af to try and focus it and have it not move a tiny bit on you. But when I bought them the motorized varifocals were redonculous expensive, these dahuas are a game changer, I can't wait to get mine next week hopefully, I may have a couple more hikvision's up for sale in the classified section lol.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm going to buy some more of these cameras as they're great - silly question but do any of you know if it's possible to get a Dahua adapter plate so that it would fit onto a Hikvision mount please?

On the front of the house I'm currently running a Hikvision 3Mp DS-2CD2332 camera with the Hikvision DS-1273ZJ-130-TRL mount and wondering if there's an easy way to reuse that - otherwise I'll just point that camera in a different direction and add an additional Dahua Starlight cam on the front of the house :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to buy some more of these cameras as they're great - silly question but do any of you know if it's possible to get a Dahua adapter plate so that it would fit onto a Hikvision mount please?

On the front of the house I'm currently running a Hikvision 3Mp DS-2CD2332 camera with the Hikvision DS-1273ZJ-130-TRL mount and wondering if there's an easy way to reuse that - otherwise I'll just point that camera in a different direction and add an additional Dahua Starlight cam on the front of the house :)
Can a drill and a bit solve this? :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just checked the listed IP cameras in the BI configuration pull down menu and the DAHUA IPC-HDW5231R-Z is not listed. I think this cam may still work with BI but not sure about all the features?
It'll work with blueIris using standard Dahua profiles, however the IVS (Tripwire/Intrusion/etc) features wont work w/BlueIris and it wont zoom like a PTZ within BI.. but thats typical, will work like any other dahua fixed camera.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I just checked the listed IP cameras in the BI configuration pull down menu and the DAHUA IPC-HDW5231R-Z is not listed. I think this cam may still work with BI but not sure about all the features?
I'm curious about this also, my turret will be here this week I hope. I run blue iris. If nobody reports back I will let everyone know how it goes.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It'll work with blueIris using standard Dahua profiles, however the IVS (Tripwire/Intrusion/etc) features wont work w/BlueIris and it wont zoom like a PTZ within BI.. but thats typical, will work like any other dahua fixed camera.
Won't zoom because it is not a PTZ cam? Isn't the cam supposed to zoom to adjust focus remotely as previously discussed in this thread?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Won't zoom because it is not a PTZ cam? Isn't the cam supposed to zoom to adjust focus remotely as previously discussed in this thread?
You can adjust Zoom/Focus directly on the cameras WebUI; but if you expect the PTZ Zoom/Focus controls in BlueIris to do anything they will not; because this camera does not respond to ONVIF PTZ Commands like a real Dahua PTZ would.

There is an external API Capable of zooming the camera, but not focusing it (it always triggers an autofocus).. Perhaps the BlueIris developer could implement it in the software, but someone would have to request it and provide him access to a camera for testing.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
You can adjust Zoom/Focus directly on the cameras WebUI; but if you expect the PTZ Zoom/Focus controls in BlueIris to do anything they will not; because this camera does not respond to ONVIF PTZ Commands like a real Dahua PTZ would.
sweet avatar bro.