Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WDR seems to have nice benefits at night, I think I can recommend running WDR all the time..

here is a screenshot of zoom/focus window, it will not take PTZ Commands from SmartPSS nor does its live-view offer zoom/focus options.. but it will accept zoom/focus commands via API if your so inclined.. potentially BlueIris could use these for a pseudo zoom effect if the Dev does the extra work.

Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 10.50.26 PM.png

output from: /cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=getFocusStatus
Code:
status.Focus=0.934021
status.FocusMotorSteps=2910
status.Status=Normal
status.Zoom=0.528571
status.ZoomMotorSteps=1400

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
added a 4MP vs 2MP comparison video to first post, and did some editing to my original videos in the back yard..

Last edited:
Reactions: Tic

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I turned the IR Cannon away, here is a true comparison for 4MP vs 2MP Starlight in a no-light situation.. I turned off all my security lights, this is just the combined IR from both cameras

Galileo NVR-Channel4-2016-11-10-01-12-59.jpg Galileo NVR-Channel9-2016-11-10-01-12-00.jpg

as if you need any more evidence that this camera straight out performs like a king.

PR0r

n3wb
Reaction score
Any chance of a picture of this thing mounted? Would love to see a shot of it set up before I purchase :)
Great videos too btw.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
nayr, I can't believe the quality of this camera! Are you sure you haven't used some video editing software on it? ha ha Only joking. It just blows everything else out the water. I can think of a couple of locations this would be ideal for!
Many thanks for the pictures and video..... As you already know... Your the man! :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@cyberwolf_uk, actually youtube makes the videos look worse than they are :p

@PR0r, I just have it mounted on a 2x4 strapped to a cart heh... here's what the test rig looked like for my comparisons, ignore the IR cannon pointing at the ground.. was easier than unplugging it.
IMAG0694.jpg

Last edited:

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nayr, Will have to purchase one of these now as one of Hikvision has just gone pop in the last hour! I'm guessing it's the POE side on the camera as I've recycled power via the switch and still not reporting any power. What was delivery time like from order?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind I am in the states; Paid on Oct 29th, Shipped Nov 7th, Arrived Nov 9th.. YMMV

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Many thanks, Not to bad service... But then again we have the BREXIT effect which will add some extra millage ha ha

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That IR cannon as you call it. Is it worth having with the camera?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be keeping mine up as I start deploying more of these sensors, they were definitely worth it w/the 4MP.. less so with the StarLight, but they still make a dramatic difference imho, the more light the better performance.. for any camera, even starlights.

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I dont see the IR cannon in your signature. What's the model on that? Also. In the driveway I showed you earlier, let's say I put another camera down the alley. So the cameras will almost look at each other. Would 1 IR cannon be enough? Would it mess with the other camera?

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
IR Cannon w/Adjustable Focus

Wait til you got the cameras up, then decide if you want more lighting.
Thank you once again. You've made this newcomer to IP life easier. I'm setting up my property for 10 cameras. Only buying 5 for now so I'm pre-wiring to make it easier later. Now I have a good idea where I'd like to have that cannon. a

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fliped my rig arround, now here is a head to head with a 4MP Dahua w/IR Cannon.. this is not a low light situation really, I have 10W of IR power blasting this space and wow it does great with the starlight camera!

Dahua 4MP HFW4421D-AS (6mm):
View attachment 12309

Dahua 2MP Starlight Varifocal @ Half Zoom
View attachment 12310
Why does the video seem better on the 2mp over the 4mp?