Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I just installed BI last month...Still waiting on cameras from Andy...Should have 2 tomorrow according to FedEx.

I have noty gone through the BI help yet but have reviewed a few YouTube videos on it.
Are there any tutorial videos out there you know of that speak specifically to the setup and use of the more sophisticated motion detection options you speak of or is it really just a play and learn thing? I have not reviewed the help file for BI in detail yet but I do a lot better with demo training videos than help files.
Thanks
After Christmas shipping not very fast, as checked all at local area now, tomorrow will ship all the back orders.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, i 100% respect him. So which camera you guys want to test? But Ryan have to be free to do this,i will keep in mind. Not just for selling, i just very happy to make something different. I visit dahua today, and they will have more new cams in the 2017. I will let you guys know.
I am sure he will make himself free to review free cameras haha. I'd say send him a 4mp starlight when they come out.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I just installed BI last month...Still waiting on cameras from Andy...Should have 2 tomorrow according to FedEx.

I have noty gone through the BI help yet but have reviewed a few YouTube videos on it.
Are there any tutorial videos out there you know of that speak specifically to the setup and use of the more sophisticated motion detection options you speak of or is it really just a play and learn thing? I have not reviewed the help file for BI in detail yet but I do a lot better with demo training videos than help files.
Thanks
it's pretty simple just look at the section and read the help file. you basically just move the sliders and test until it's just sensitive enough to pick you up. there is one for contrast I haven't really messed with and also object detection I also haven't messed with, I just set it to the least sensitivity and kept moving the slider until it was just sensitive enough to pick me up moving around. I've gotten 4 alerts so far today on the test camera BUT it's my living room camera and they were all my dog moving around on the couch so lol.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am aware of Blue Iris feature having more options than a standard camera motion detection.

But what caught my attention was your post that you claimed with the "right" setting in BlueIris, that we could eliminate the false alarm. Is that 100% with pixel detection or with the aid of external motion detector like PIR sensor to eliminate or reduce the number of false alarm.

I can't see how a BlueIris would tell the different between a human being walking at a distance and a bug flying up close pass the camera Len when both look the same size in the video but the bug wouldn't trigger the alarm while a human being walking would trigger it.

I use one trick to determine which motion capture is worth checking in playback when the length of the recording event exceed the length that I predetermined which tells me there was a good amount of movement during that period.

A bug flying by would have a very short quick event while a person continuously moving around in front of a camera would have a long event.

So I am guessing that BlueIris must have some type of option to determine the length of event is worth saving and marked as alarm because I find it hard to believe that BlueIris can tell the different between two objects solely on pixels alone then again I really have not explored BlueIris option/setting deeply enough to learn it fully.

Bill
You can do it with pixel based motion only...you cant see it because you have not used the software.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe contrast motion setting is for lighting changes?
I have a crap foscam...the only cam I have right now, on BI with just default settings.
I notice when a light is turned on\of in another room and it even glows in the area of the camera it triggers the motion capture.
Same when I had it pointed ad an external door with a window in it. As the sun came in the window it will trigger.
Like I said though, crap cam and default settings...I have been waiting for the better cams to come in to start messing with it.
I did not realize though a contrast setting could affect motion so that will be interesting.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe contrast motion setting is for lighting changes?
I have a crap foscam...the only cam I have right now, on BI with just default settings.
I notice when a light is turned on\of in another room and it even glows in the area of the camera it triggers the motion capture.
Same when I had it pointed ad an external door with a window in it. As the sun came in the window it will trigger.
Like I said though, crap cam and default settings...I have been waiting for the better cams to come in to start messing with it.
I did not realize though a contrast setting could affect motion so that will be interesting.
yeah, if you make it look for lighter settings it's more sensitive, darker pixels less sensitive, I dunno if I'd wanna use that as you don't know what color clothes someone will be wearing but I guess it all depends on the exact scene in the frame. foscams suck period lol but if you are using the BI motion detection that wouldn't matter. I got a PIR sensor but there is more involved with adding it to the camera so I'm gonna try to get away with BI motion sensing if I can. Also you can't use them on the turret cameras which I would rather use over big bullets that attract spiders.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
...foscams suck period lol but if you are using the BI motion detection that wouldn't matter...
I love my little crappy wireless Foscam for specific purposes. It actually produces a decent clear image and motion recording indoors or out a window,( in daylight) Just because it's so easy to grab it and go place it almost anywhere as long as there is a plug or extension cord and wifi range. Would never use it for real security concerns though.
Mine is mostly relegated to things like watching the upstairs hallway so I can discover the mystery of which cat has chosen not to use the litter box lately.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The IPC-HFW8630E-Z is an IMX178, same as the Longse Low light destroyer but with an extra MegaPixel and varifocal optics.. its not a starlight camera by Dahua standards, but if your looking for a UHD camera that dont suck in low light; this is what I'd be looking at.

More Megapixels and Starlight Capabilities are pretty much mutually exclusive, increasing pixel density without increasing sensor size typically results in worse low light performance.. They did increase sensor size on 8603E-Z, thats why its not horrible in low light like the others.

I think everyone here wants to see if I can get anything useful accomplished with Dahua's Autotracking, when I bought my Black Face PTZ the only autotracking was offered in >$1k+ Dahuas and Ive been highly critical of the feature due to how gimmicky it appears on cheap PTZ's.. however I think Dahua's autotracking combined w/IVS is alot more tunable and might actually be made helpfull if someone figured out how to set it up right..

I'd like to replace my old Black Face Dahua w/the SD59230U-HNI, the 4MP Dahua's I already have are getting ripped out and replaced with 2MP Starlights as soon as @EMPIRETECANDY gets the Varifocal Starlight Bullet in.. I'm not too pleased with the 4MP cameras for night time ID capabilities, outside my LPR camera but even that im thinking of replacing w/a 2MP Starlight Box

thanks for all the kind words everyone, with the wife preggo I have no more travel plans until the total eclipse this summer.. the limiting factor on me installing/testing cameras right now will be the weather.. since I already have so many cameras on the shelf and wires ran throughout the house its pretty fun testing and comparing new cameras, its not much work with how well my house is wired up.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That would run the Turrets; but if your serious about a PTZ they use PoE+ (802.3AT) that guarantees a minimum of ~24W.. vs ~14W for Standard PoE (802.3AF)

The PTZ is going to require a switch/injector/midspan capable of PoE+, or can power it directly with 24VAC w/out PoE (it comes with a 24VAC PSU)

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i see...is gigabit PoE preferred?....I may need to connect it to a powerline ethernet for the time-being until I can string CAT6 down one level..but wanna be ready for maximum speeds once i get that done..

That would run the Turrets; but if your serious about a PTZ they use PoE+ (802.3AT) that guarantees a minimum of ~24W.. vs ~14W for Standard PoE (802.3AF)

The PTZ is going to require a switch/injector/midspan capable of PoE+, or can power it directly with 24VAC w/out PoE (it comes with a 24VAC PSU)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
GigE is suggested for uplinks between switches; but not required for camera ports.. a single camera wont come close to saturating 100Mbit Fast Ethernet however multiples of them can.. (takes about 6-7 1080p cameras to start saturating FastEthernet).. I consider anything over 50% duty load on average to be fast approaching saturation.

However consider PoE WiFi access points; the latest/fastest models do require GigE PoE Ports so get it if you can afford it.. makes worrying and designing around network bottlenecks pretty much a non-issue for residential environments.

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So that NetGear prosafe switch is sufficient to power five - eight ipc-hdw5231r-z turret cameras? Any other models for up to 8 cameras? I actually have to put in orders for a PoE switch and cat 5e or cat 6 cable line ASAP. Since the cameras do not come close to saturating fast ethernet, is there really any benefit to running cat 6 over cat 5e? I can't think of a reason even in terms of future proofing because cat 5e can handle gigabit no problem. Are people here just crimping rj-45 connectors on each end and running lines from the server to each camera or using patch panels? I'm not sure how they would play out with PoE since I've never really used it for any application.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest laying down cat6 at this point, because if your buying a full spool of raw cable for your own use its very unlikely you'll use all that cable for ONLY video cameras.. hardwiring up televisions, computers/access points on the other side of the house, etc.. this is a spool likely to be used to lay down all your hardwired network connections so be prepared for the future (10GigE over copper is already a thing, and Cat6 can do it at limited distances.. its still in datacenters but will be coming to houses/businesses in the coming decade)

If your a camera installer and burning through spools of this stuff every week then there is a financial reason to lay down cat5e; thats the only justification left for using it... IMHO all new installs should be cat6 or better.. PoE will work better and further w/the heaver gauge wiring if nothing else.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that 8 port prosafe is rated at 44W, it will not run 8 Starlight Cameras that require 9W each.. You'll want a PoE switch with >80W ceiling to run 8 Turrets off it.

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right now I have keystone jacks to connect 3 rooms together for regular networking but that is obviously not going to scale for cameras. Did you buy a patch panel for all your cat 6 to terminate before going into your PoE switch? I was thinking of something like this to make it look better in my closet. Amazon.com: Cable Matters Rackmount or Wallmount 24-Port Cat6 RJ45 Patch Panel: Computers & Accessories

What's your opinion on the Eagle Eye switch? Never heard of the brand but has 96W and 8 ports. Would prefer to buy one small unmanaged switch if I can help it. I have no rack and don't want too much noise and heat. I'm a little confused why the main vendors seem to have lots of these little PoE 4+4 or underpowered switches.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00H58P8RU/ref=nosim/ipctk-20?tag=ipctk-20

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
quick question...planning on getting a couple of the 2mp varifocal starlights and maybe a PTZ...then plan on connecting to my Blueiris server...is this the kind
of POE switch I would need?:
Amazon.com: Netgear ProSafe FS108 8 Port 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch with Auto Uplink: Electronics
If money is a factor, I would choose this one over the Netgear. More wattage

Amazon.com: BV-TECH 8 Port 120W 10/100Mbps Power over Ethernet Switch - Designed for IP Camera Use(Gray): Computers & Accessories

Bill

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
quick question...planning on getting a couple of the 2mp varifocal starlights and maybe a PTZ...then plan on connecting to my Blueiris server...is this the kind
of POE switch I would need?:
Amazon.com: Netgear ProSafe FS108 8 Port 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch with Auto Uplink: Electronics
If money is a factor, I would choose this one over the Netgear. More wattage

Amazon.com: BV-TECH 8 Port 120W 10/100Mbps Power over Ethernet Switch - Designed for IP Camera Use(Gray): Computers & Accessories

Bill