Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like i'm late to the party, is this still available for purchase? What are steps to order? website doesn't let me add to cart.
Early next week i will have news, have 200pcs on the way, i think not be a problem, will open on aliexpress only when stock in, thanks for your attention here, i will make update here.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Early next week i will have news, have 200pcs on the way, i think not be a problem, will open on aliexpress only when stock in, thanks for your attention here, i will make update here.
Nice, the question is, can they go out in the mail before Chinese New Year starts?

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
is someone recording on NFS (NAS in webgui)? recording works great and the files are there. unfortunaly no playback possible on webgui. i can only select sd card on dropdown. what am i doing wrong? i tried the same with FTP - same result.

playback work fine on my android device with gDMSS for NFS & FTP
My modded firmware can do that, if you can give me the firmware for your camera I could add that functionality.
It comes down to changing html/playback.htm and js/playback.js which could maybe be done by a userscript aswell.

Also, anyone with December 2016 firmware on their camera (all new starlights should have this?), could you please download this: http://<CAMERAIP>/custom_lang/English.txt from your camera and PM it to me?

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
they have the same sensor on the UltraWDR cameras, and its the stronger DSP on the Ultra models that is able to handle the 140dB WDR.
Hi nayr,

where did you get this information? I don't think it is the same sensor.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
two network interfaces, one for your LAN and the other going to your PoE switch w/all your cameras configured for Static IP's with no Gateways.. they need to be different subnets.. so like 192.168.0.X for your LAN and 192.168.1.X for your Video network.

only your BlueIris server will be able to access both the LAN and the Cameras, devices on LAN cant see cameras and Camera network cant see the LAN, or the Internet either.
Couple questions...
If you do this, how can you view your cameras remotely?

If you do this, any time you want to log into your cameras direct for setting changes wouldn't you have to change the subnet on your computer to 1.x each time then back to 0.x to be able to use the internet and your computer as usual again?

Would you change the IP for the POE switch to the 1.x also?

billv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Couple questions...
If you do this, how can you view your cameras remotely?

If you do this, any time you want to log into your cameras direct for setting changes wouldn't you have to change the subnet on your computer to 1.x each time then back to 0.x to be able to use the internet and your computer as usual again?

Would you change the IP for the POE switch to the 1.x also?
Are you using Blue Iris. I found that if I use that and Google Remote Desktop I can view the computer desktop running Blue Iris without having to add a forwarding port in my router. That scares me but it does work. I can then use BI to view the individual cameras as well as clips and videos saved. Works for me. And since it's a connection to the desktop you can also log into the cameras separately.

For me the computer running BI has 3 NICs. One connects to the WAN as (x,y,0.z). The other two connect to POE switches that connect to the cameras. They are each on x.y.1.8 and x,y.1.9. A time server runs on the BI computer too and the cameras point back these addresses as the time server address. For time server you may need to allow port 123/UDP to pass in the firewall. I just turned off the firewall for the camera network since hackers would need to get past the first one to get to the cameras.

Hope this helps.

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
specs seem pretty much on par with the same sensor as far as lux ratings go.. just has UltraWDR
IPC-HFW8231E-Z | Dahua Technology

I admit it is just a guess; if its a different sensor it seems to be a variant of some sort.
The Eco-Starlight with 2MP and 120db uses the IMX291
The Ultra-Smart-Starlight with 2 MP and 140db uses the IMX290
The Ultra-Smart-Starlight with 3 MP and 140db uses the IMX123

All of them are Sony Exmor-R Starvis sensors with bsi.

The Ultra-Smart-Starlight with 2MP and 120db uses the older IMX185 which is bigger but a standard Exmor sensor with fsi.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using Blue Iris. I found that if I use that and Google Remote Desktop I can view the computer desktop running Blue Iris without having to add a forwarding port in my router. That scares me but it does work. I can then use BI to view the individual cameras as well as clips and videos saved. Works for me. And since it's a connection to the desktop you can also log into the cameras separately.

For me the computer running BI has 3 NICs. One connects to the WAN as (x,y,0.z). The other two connect to POE switches that connect to the cameras. They are each on x.y.1.8 and x,y.1.9. A time server runs on the BI computer too and the cameras point back these addresses as the time server address. For time server you may need to allow port 123/UDP to pass in the firewall. I just turned off the firewall for the camera network since hackers would need to get past the first one to get to the cameras.

Hope this helps.

??? o_O

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Google Remote Desktop, TeamViewer and similar software do NAT traversal by keeping a connection active to a remote server that can be used to connect to your computer. The P2P function on many cameras does the same thing.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this camera with ONVIF Device Manager and does it respond OK?
In particular, does it generate any ONVIF events notifications ('Events' page) for motion or smart events?
What is listed for 'Rules' in ODM.

The reason I'm asking is that QNAP have no current plans for Surveillance Station to support this camera, and apparently connecting it as an ONVIF model will only provide continuous recording, no motion detection.
ONVIF ProfileS in QNAP Surveillance Station does support motion detection notifications on top of continuous recording, works OK with Hikvision and various other brands that cannot be mentioned.

qwert106

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this camera with ONVIF Device Manager and does it respond OK?
In particular, does it generate any ONVIF events notifications ('Events' page) for motion or smart events?
What is listed for 'Rules' in ODM.

The reason I'm asking is that QNAP have no current plans for Surveillance Station to support this camera, and apparently connecting it as an ONVIF model will only provide continuous recording, no motion detection.
ONVIF ProfileS in QNAP Surveillance Station does support motion detection notifications on top of continuous recording, works OK with Hikvision and various other brands that cannot be mentioned.
my cam doesn't respond with ONVIF Device Manager at all - only error message - no connection possible (ONVIF in cam activated and credentials correct). With Qnal continouous recording ok but no alarm events.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Google Remote Desktop, TeamViewer and similar software do NAT traversal by keeping a connection active to a remote server that can be used to connect to your computer. The P2P function on many cameras does the same thing.
Correct I just couldn't tell what he was talking about from the grammar lol

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
my cam doesn't respond with ONVIF Device Manager at all - only error message - noconnection possible (ONVIF in cam activated and credentials correct). With Qnal continouous recording ok but no alarmevents.
Yes, it was your post that prompted me to ask on here.
I'd be surprised if it turns out that a Dahua IPC doesn't generate ONVIF event notifications, or properly support ONVIF.
It will be interesting to hear other experiences.

qwert106

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, it was your post that prompted me to ask on here.
I'd be surprised if it turns out that a Dahua IPC doesn't generate ONVIF event notifications, or properly support ONVIF.
It will be interesting to hear other experiences.
maybe a firmware issue - my firmware: Software Version 2.460.0000.1.R, ONVIF Version 2.42

Edit: i made some more tests: if i set on cam ONVIF Authentication to off, then ONVIF Device Manager can connect to cam. But on events, (400) bad request error. No problems on my Hikvision cams. Interesting: ONVIF Device Manager shows my Dahua as "General", the Hikvision Cams are showing their correct type

Attachments

Last edited:

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is anyone else using microSD recording? Noticed the camera responds much slower when it's active - no issues when recording to NAS. Guessing NAS is more lightweight than local microSD - I'm just waiting to get the newer firmware as my camera came with an older version installed.

qwert106

n3wb
Reaction score
i'm also recording on NAS. On IVS alerts additional to NAS-recording Emails with snapshot attached. My problem: only 1/3 of the Emails have the snapshot attached, 2/3 of the Emails without snapshot - only the text in Email. Never tried SD-recording

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Care to share any caps?
Sorry missed that - here's the clip - it was set for basic motion detection and they were out of the zone so it cut off unfortunately:

Just waiting to see if they come back - this is set to defaults with just IR switched off as it's sat behind a window (which is causing the reflections).

I'd say the cam passed it's soak test in the house :)