Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. Hardworking Andy is shipping 2 of the NVR5216-16P-4KS2 out to me today. $640 shipped for the pair.

I got them ordered just in time before their long holiday.

I have one 6tb purple drive that I bought for the other NVR so I guess I will have to get a second one now.

Mark Engle

n3wb
Reaction score
Bought 4 of these cameras and an NVR from Andy. He was great. Fast shipping also. I would use him again. Got them up and working perfectly. Thanks Andy!!!

Reaction score
I am wondering this exact same question. I can control the zoom feature on the 5231 using Milestone Xprotect and I was wondering if these zoom cameras are designed to be used similarly to a regular PTZ whereby you can zoom in and out quite frequently, or if the zoom on the 5231 is designed to be more of a set it up a couple times to get it just right, and then leave it in the same zoom position for long periods of time (i.e. weeks or months).

My regular PTZ cameras I zoom in and out almost every day at least a few times, even dozens of times on some days, but I don't know if that will be ok to do with this 5231 or not. Curious what everyone thinks as I really want to use this camera just like a regular PTZ just without the P & T. I definitely don't want to burn out the motor on this little gem of a camera.

I would cry myself to sleep every day for a year if that were to happen.
@Little Scooby -- What device type in Milestone are you using with your 5231 cams? When initially setting up my network, the auto-detect defaults to "ONVIF Conformant Device" which doesn't have PTZ functionality. I figured out how to manually change the device type, but there are too many different types to simply guess which may be better.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hi guys

The camera right now stock in now, but can ship only after our new year holiday. Today the last day working here, we will be back to work on Feb.5th due to the Chinese new year. Have a rest and come back soon~ If you need any support just send message to me. The guys who paid us for waiting, we will ship out same day after we back~

We talk soon then~
Andy

qwert106

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys

The camera right now stock in now, but can ship only after our new year holiday. Today the last day working here, we will be back to work on Feb.5th due to the Chinese new year. Have a rest and come back soon~ If you need any support just send message to me. The guys who paid us for waiting, we will ship out same day after we back~

We talk soon then~
Andy
Great News. I want to order 3 more. Can I order on Aliexpress?

Reaction score
@Little Scooby -- What device type in Milestone are you using with your 5231 cams? When initially setting up my network, the auto-detect defaults to "ONVIF Conformant Device" which doesn't have PTZ functionality. I figured out how to manually change the device type, but there are too many different types to simply guess which may be better.
Is it possible this is a firmware issue with my cams? I don't have PTZ control options with the web UI either.
Software Version 2.460.0000.1.R, Build Date: 2016-10-25​

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
firmware wont do a damn thing; you guys didnt buy a PTZ.. You bought a varifocal w/a motor.. if it didnt have the motor you'd have to go outside and do it by hand, in either case dont expect ONVIF to talk to it like a PTZ.. cuz its not.

set the focal point through the WebUI, and leave it alone..

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My friend is a carpenter and says there is a load bearing beam right above the garage door and usually consists of 2x12s stacked together. My two door garage also has a center post between the doors which is also load bearing. Do you guys drill 3/4 inch holes through these beams (or post if you have one) for the camera to be right above garage door? I did the view test and I could put it above all this at 9 ft or greater but it is better where the beam is right above the door at dead center. He says it is not a big deal to drill it but I do not feel so great about drilling such a big hole for a camera in load bearing members.

The other option is to run conduit which will be ugly or install at 9ft.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can install a junction box there and run just a hole large enough for your ethernet cable, then terminate the cable in the junction box.. cat6 is usually ~6mm and will fit through a 1/4in hole.

there is one specifically for these cams.

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any idea where to get that junction box? I could not find a source. I take it 1/4 inch hole is fine?

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You may be right and I am going to ask a structural engineer about it. Would prefer to drill a minimal hole to be on the safe side. I did not know the PFB204W is compatible and it looks kind of nice. Are these both good quality brackets? I see source for the PFB204W on amazon for less than $30.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have not used em but there's pics of em in use somewhere in this thread from another memeber.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How well would these work with a Hikvision NVR? Set off motion detection and record is all I'm looking for, as well as working with the NVR's built in PoE.

Also, you said the seller offers a discount to IPT members, how do I go about getting that applied to my order?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
How well would these work with a Hikvision NVR? Set off motion detection and record is all I'm looking for, as well as working with the NVR's built in PoE.
It's looking like there may be an issue with motion detection when attaching to a Hikvision NVR under ONVIF.
Check out this post and those following:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has tried this camera on a Hikvision NVR and tested motion events.

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So is the PFB203W just the older PFB204W and the PFA137 the older PFA139? Your link shows the earlier mounts so I guess they are compatible.

I was looking at accessory sheet http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/download/Accessory_Selection_2017012314.pdf and the HDW5231R-Z is not even on there. I guess it's too cutting edge. The HDBW series are the dome versions but it looks like they may have put the '5231' in the wrong area on this chart since it's not a dome.

Is that picture the HDW5231r-z on the PFB203W? If so, then I will just buy that one if it's confirmed to be compatible.

I am pretty sure you need a pfb203w

See:

See the mount selector: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/download/accessory_selection20160722.pdf

Type of the camera is hdwb2 in that sheet,mand that points to pfb204w

On the product page it is the 203w in the accesorys tab
IPC-HDW5231R-Z | Dahua Technology

Last edited: