Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Money down puts you at top of list, under the last guy who paid; he's gotta take care of those paying customers first..

At the rate his stocks are blowing out when they do appear; I'd just go ahead and pay now and be thankful that when they finally do arrive you dont have a whole nother month of shipping to endure.
True true man, so true

foobart

n3wb
Reaction score
nayr (and others) what kind of video settings are you using, for "production"

FPS
VBR/CBR
quality
Max Bit Rate
Iframe Interval

upload_2017-2-16_22-57-20.png

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
nayr (and others) what kind of video settings are you using, for "production"

FPS
VBR/CBR
quality
Max Bit Rate
Iframe Interval

View attachment 15234
You have to set your own man every situation is different but for best quality, go highest bitrate, CBR, I go 20fps because why the hell not and then tweak all the image settings for your exact scene.

KP416

n3wb
Reaction score
How do I put money down?

It has been a month since any response from Empire to my request.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you pay already?
I did, great dealing with Andy. Went back and forth a couple times in conversation before I pulled the trigger. Now I have to spend more money on a POE switch. :)

tfip

n3wb
Reaction score
I have purchased NVR, POE switch, and WD purple drive, but have no cameras. How do I pay for cameras to get one the list? Thanks

foobart

n3wb
Reaction score
You have to set your own man every situation is different but for best quality, go highest bitrate, CBR, I go 20fps because why the hell not and then tweak all the image settings for your exact scene.
I know every man sets things, I've played around with these kinds of things a good bit in movie encoding etc. I particularly wanted nayr's usual settings because I'd imagine it captures experience in this context, and if there's any special considerations.

Soepkip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a (probably) general Dahua question: is it possible to set the camera to auto zoom when motion is detected?
For example for monitoring a driveway, when motion is detected it zooms in?

I think I will go for the bullet version of this camera to replace an existing Dahua bullet (which I will use somewhere else), considering these turrets are not going to be in stock any time soon.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no, its a Motorized Varifocal.. the only thing you get over a Manual Varifocal is you dont have to take the camera apart to adjust the optics..

Its not a PTZ

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question, but can I compare the quality of this turret with this one:
DH-IPC-HDBW5421E-Z

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks!

Sorry didn't saw/search for it. :oops:

edit:
definitely not to compare with the starlight quality/series :)

Last edited:

PR0r

n3wb
Reaction score
Would anyone know if the following POE injector would work with this camera?

Ubiquiti GP-A240-050
It outputs 24V 0.5A.

Reaction score
If you are only going to be running the one camera, this is what you are after. If you intend on expanding your system later it would be a better idea to look into a PoE switch. I quite like the US‑8‑150W by Ubiquiti Networks.
Ubiquiti make great products. I am using this one - Ubiquiti Networks - TOUGHSwitch™ as to me the SFP ports are useless. It's also a little cheaper and has a dedicated management port. What the USB port is used for, anyone know?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that I'm on the look for something suitable.

Would either of the following work? Or could you please recommend one.

TP-LINK PoE Injector Adaptor TL-PoE150S | Officeworks

TP-LINK PoE Splitter Adaptor TL-PoE10R | Offiuceworks
You would need the injector not the splitter..as mentioned you should look into a switch if you intend to use more than 1 cam..they start at 40-60 here in the US...the ubiquiti mention is way overpriced and not needed for your installation..
Amazon.com: ZyXEL 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Web Managed PoE Switch with 60 Watt Budget [GS1200-5HP]: Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
the ubiquiti mention is way overpriced and not needed for your installation..
Zyxel gear isn't really popular here down under, at least non of the regular suppliers I purchase from stock it. The closest product to your suggestion available out here would be a Edimax ES-5104PH~ $128.

Alternatively a TP-LINK TL-SF1008P can be purchased for around $75AUD.