Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Soepkip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
no, its a Motorized Varifocal.. the only thing you get over a Manual Varifocal is you dont have to take the camera apart to adjust the optics..

Its not a PTZ
I was under the impression that varifocal and zoom are essentially the same thing? (it also says 4.4x zoom in the first post)
I realize it is not PTZ but I am not looking for a camera which can pan or tilt. Just wondering if it can zoom in on a fixed point when motion is detected.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No.
Variable Focus, whether manual or motorized, simply means you have 4x zoom capability to focus the camera, as opposed to a fixed lens. Once focused, it stays put unless you manually refocus it.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone know what size conduit fits into the side of the junction box for the turret? Like PVC pipe.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can these be mounted vertically or horizontally? I would like to add one over my garage to cover my circle driveway but it's a peaked soffit so no level mounting point. I would like to put it just above the flood lights and below the soffit. The Bullet seems a little large for his area to me. However I might be able to mount the bullet directly above the floods on the white surface. home.jpg

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Can these be mounted vertically or horizontally? I would like to add one over my garage to cover my circle driveway but it's a peaked soffit so no level mounting point. I would like to put it just above the flood lights and below the soffit. The Bullet seems a little large for his area to me. However I might be able to mount the bullet directly above the floods on the white surface. View attachment 15281
You can mount it flat on the wall but I would be concerned about camera wide view and the flood light will be partially blocking camera view

Also mounting it up high will only give you top of people head shots unless they happen to look up at the camera.

If your goal is to cover the driveway then I would mount it lower like right above the garage door to get more facial shots and see what they are doing inside your vehicle if they managed to get into it

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can mount it flat on the wall but I would be concerned about camera wide view and the flood light will be partially blocking camera view

Also mounting it up high will only give you top of people head shots unless they happen to look up at the camera.

If your goal is to cover the driveway then I would mount it lower like right above the garage door to get more facial shots and see what they are doing inside your vehicle if they managed to get into it

Might not be all that bad as there is incline from the garage up to the road. The bullet would probably be a better option to get out past the floods.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmm my wife gave a very low approval rating to one of the turrets at the front door. She said it's too big and obvious. I guess I'll have to look at a mini dome to use right at the door. Thankfully I can cover the approach to the door with the turrets and still get good coverage.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
So I got my test rig set up today and I'm getting ready to mount the first outdoor cam, I've got the starlight turret and ultra bullet. First up is on the side on the house near the back, we've got two driveways and mine ends at the back right corner, I park up against a privacy fence gate, I'm thinking I'll have to do corridor mode but I'm wanting to know if the camera should be fine if I have to mount it to the outside of the roof overhang, as you'll see in the pic I think the roof might get in the way and cause IR issues. There are trees around so it shouldn't be in the sun all day but it will get rained on directly.

IMG_20170218_155728.jpg

Cooper

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm my wife gave a very low approval rating to one of the turrets at the front door. She said it's too big and obvious. I guess I'll have to look at a mini dome to use right at the door. Thankfully I can cover the approach to the door with the turrets and still get good coverage.

My wife felt kind of similar but after a thief rummaged threw her Jeep the other day, she's all for it now.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My wife felt kind of similar but after a thief rummaged threw her Jeep the other day, she's all for it now.
I'm going to mount the one monitoring the approach and driveway first and see if it warms on her. Worse case it means yet another camera. Glad I got the 16 channel NVR.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Funny how that works isn't it? We got burglarized and that got me into cameras, my wife felt so bad because pretty much everything valuable was mine, she's never complained about me putting them up anywhere I want

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Funny how that works isn't it? We got burglarized and that got me into cameras, my wife felt so bad because pretty much everything valuable was mine, she's never complained about me putting them up anywhere I want
I feel like Nextdoor must drive lots of people to get cameras. I'm sure my old neighborhood has just as many breakins but I just wasn't aware of them. Hah.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I feel like Nextdoor must drive lots of people to get cameras. I'm sure my old neighborhood has just as many breakins but I just wasn't aware of them. Hah.

Before we moved from the shit hood, I found the PD has a crime map you can look at online, I used that to help pick our next house.

billv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
NPT not working on one camera.

I have 11 cameras - 8 are from an old Qsee install (which are Dahua under the covers) and 3 are new 5231's. I have set up timesynctool on the BI server to update the clocks via NTP. I found that one of the 5321 cameras will not update the time via NTP. The log from timesynctool shows the other 10 cameras syncing, but not this one camera. So it's not a firewall issue.

Looking a bit closer, I found that the one camera that won't sync has firmware from July 5, 2016, while the two that do sync have firmware of Oct 25, 2016. The cameras were purchased at the same time. Since I know that the Oct version works for NTP, where can I get a copy? Or another firmware version that won't brick the camera and fix the NTP issue?

Thanks

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking a bit closer, I found that the one camera that won't sync has firmware from July 5, 2016, while the two that do sync have firmware of Oct 25, 2016. The cameras were purchased at the same time. Since I know that the Oct version works for NTP, where can I get a copy? Or another firmware version that won't brick the camera and fix the NTP issue?
Firmware is in the first post of this thread... Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)