Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for clarifying :)
Thus the Dahua 5216-4ks2 (w/o POE ports) can only retain up to 16 connected cameras

Quoting from this thread...
Dahua NVR 5216-16P-4KS2

The model number says it all. To me, this means the '16' of 5216 means that it can only accept 16 cameras...no matter if you have the 16 port POE version or not. And if you get the 8 or 32 channel POE, you can have 8 or 32 cameras depending on which one you get.

If the non POE version accepted 32 cameras via external switch, then the model number wouldn't be 5216,it would be 5232. At least that's my take on the subject....

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can I make this cam work with external sensor triggers since it has no alarm i/os?
I did not really think about that before bc I have never used them.
It would be nice to have the one Im putting up as a choke point door entry off my back stairs to the garage that would trigger if something like a pressure pad were stepped on or say one of those driveway beam things was crossed.
So, basically not using any motion detection on the cam or my BI server, only the sensor trigger to initiate a recording alert.

Is there just no simple way to do that without a cam having the i/o connections?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Can I make this cam work with external sensor triggers since it has no alarm i/os?
I did not really think about that before bc I have never used them.
It would be nice to have the one Im putting up as a choke point door entry off my back stairs to the garage that would trigger if something like a pressure pad were stepped on or say one of those driveway beam things was crossed.
So, basically not using any motion detection on the cam or my BI server, only the sensor trigger to initiate a recording alert.

Is there just no simple way to do that without a cam having the i/o connections?
You can set up an automation system like domoticz, hook external sensors to it, have them trigger stuff, or get one of those sealevel devices and connect it to blue iris.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As a followup to my ordering of camera junction boxes. If you forget to order them, I'd highly recommend just getting them off one of the sellers on AliExpress that will ship using the ePacket. B&H Finally got my junction boxes in stock and is shipping them today UPS ground. They'll show up next week some time, bringing the total order to arrival duration to 2 weeks.

The ePacket delivery from Ali was rated at up to 21 days. Should have saved myself 50% and waited another week. OR ordered another camera and got them long ago.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Best to Get them from Andy!
Yeah, that was definitely my error. I thought I could use regular electrical junction boxes. Had I known I'd have gotten them when I ordered the cameras.

Reaction score
I am looking to pull the trigger on these starlights and I wanted to understand how I actually buy from @EMPIRETECANDY to get the the $170 pricing? Also, do I need to buy the junction box from him up front? I've tried to read through the 81 pages, but I click a link and then I'm reading about something else on the forums. Hah! Looking to grab 5 of these!

Thank you,
Harry

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am looking to pull the trigger on these starlights and I wanted to understand how I actually buy from @EMPIRETECANDY to get the the $170 pricing? Also, do I need to buy the junction box from him up front? I've tried to read through the 81 pages, but I click a link and then I'm reading about something else on the forums. Hah! Looking to grab 5 of these!

Thank you,
Harry
Start a conversation on here with him. If he's up, he will answer. He is +11 hours from EST.

SD

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Thank you,
Harry
I just ordered them directly from his AliExpress store and got the $170 price there.

Order the junctions WITH the cameras. If you forget to do this, you're either going to have to order from another store that ships using the 21 day ePacket shipping (sloooow), or you'll pay through your teeth for DHL shipping.

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got my ipc-hdw5231rp-z cam today. I seem´s that it is a DOA. I put it on the network and tp a 12V PS. I cant reach it with the Config Tool. It does not make any noise. All my other cam´s operate the ir-filter if i apply power. On my router i can not see that something is connected to the port the cam is connected to. I opened the cam and i can see a tiny green LED is illuminated, so power seems to be ok.
Can anyone tell me if this cam should make some clickings if power is applied?

Edit:

I fixed it, it is a great device! I will open an extra thread.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
As a followup to my ordering of camera junction boxes. If you forget to order them, I'd highly recommend just getting them off one of the sellers on AliExpress that will ship using the ePacket. B&H Finally got my junction boxes in stock and is shipping them today UPS ground. They'll show up next week some time, bringing the total order to arrival duration to 2 weeks.

The ePacket delivery from Ali was rated at up to 21 days. Should have saved myself 50% and waited another week. OR ordered another camera and got them long ago.
I vote for another camera, you can never have too many cameras.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Even after it was up the turret has not gained a high enough WAF?
I only have one of my 8 cameras up so far (temporary mount); I'm still waiting for the junction boxes for the rest though. SOON. :)

I did take out a ladder and hold one up above the door to test it out and my wife gave me the Marge Simpson groan.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I only have one of my 8 cameras up so far (temporary mount); I'm still waiting for the junction boxes for the rest though. SOON. :)

I did take out a ladder and hold one up above the door to test it out and my wife gave me the Marge Simpson groan.
I hate that, why can't they just let us do what we waannnt. Maybe if you paint it to match, and like, camoflage that bitch somehow, pretend you're a Disney imagineer and you have to try and make it invisible lol.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I hate that, why can't they just let us do what we waannnt. Maybe if you paint it to match, and like, camoflage that bitch somehow, pretend you're a Disney imagineer and you have to try and make it invisible lol.
Perhaps if I cut a hole in the wall above the door and recess it into there it'll be good? Lol..