Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know it's been addressed but can't find page/thread.... can someone explain why 2mp is much better than 4mp when it comes to low light.

Also assuming the downside is during day / quality of image/video if you have a 2mp vs 4mp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nope, real as a heart attack......

The police think they followed my wife home from her work. Came that evening in the middle of the night. We had 3 pugs and a chihuahua and they didn't make a sound.

They were caught locally within a week. Father/son team were grabbing all the 22's from all the GMC dealers in Syracuse. They covertly placed a GPS on the suspects truck. Undercover agent tried to confront them, and they tried to run him over. He fired at them. They went to jail, and are hopefully still there. That was May, 2013.

SD

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Slap more pixels into the same space (actuall smaller space w/4MP) without doing anything else and sensitivity to photons goes down proportionally.. that and the Starlights use backlit sony starvis sensors that dramatically increases photon sensitivity and the 4MP just cant keep up..

Day or night the 2MP's kick the 4MP's butt, you can run lower gain and higher shutter speeds in the daytime w/out any additional noise.. so you get better quality even in daytime, more megapixels does not inherently mean more detail.. its all about the photons, not the pixels.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Slap more pixels into the same space (actuall smaller space w/4MP) without doing anything else and sensitivity to photons goes down proportionally.. that and the Starlights use backlit sony starvis sensors that dramatically increases photon sensitivity and the 4MP just cant keep up..

Day or night the 2MP's kick the 4MP's butt, you can run lower gain and higher shutter speeds in the daytime w/out any additional noise.. so you get better quality even in daytime, more megapixels does not inherently mean more detail.. its all about the photons, not the pixels.
Just got around to mounting this camera and doing some first impressions. Day time great.. night night, im getting some blurring with people walking nearby?

Do I need to change shutter speed to make this more clear? What other nighttime settings are important for the best possible picture (using the built in ir)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
try using shutter priority if your getting blur, and make sure you dont have any walls/soffits screwing with the exposure

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Nope, real as a heart attack......

The police think they followed my wife home from her work. Came that evening in the middle of the night. We had 3 pugs and a chihuahua and they didn't make a sound.

They were caught locally within a week. Father/son team were grabbing all the 22's from all the GMC dealers in Syracuse. They covertly placed a GPS on the suspects truck. Undercover agent tried to confront them, and they tried to run him over. He fired at them. They went to jail, and are hopefully still there. That was May, 2013.

SD

that really freakin sucks, I hate thieves more than anything on earth.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got my ipc-hdw5231rp-z cam today. I seem´s that it is a DOA. I put it on the network and tp a 12V PS. I cant reach it with the Config Tool. It does not make any noise. All my other cam´s operate the ir-filter if i apply power. On my router i can not see that something is connected to the port the cam is connected to. I opened the cam and i can see a tiny green LED is illuminated, so power seems to be ok.
Can anyone tell me if this cam should make some clickings if power is applied?
I received two and neither were reachable via the config tool. Did you try setting your IP to something like 192.168.1.5 and then going to browser and enter 192.168.1.108?

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you should follow Nayr's advice and plug the camera directly into a computer Ethernet port. go into the adapter settings of the computer and change it to something within the same IP area as the camera .. like 192.168.1.111 do not change the dns or anything just the ip. Then in the browser go to 192.168.1.108 and see what that gets you.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got two of these today, been playing around with setting up IVS (on the camera).

So far the only thing I can't figure out is how to get it to send emails w/ attachments (from the camera).

Tripwire is detecting when the line is crossed, and it's sending "Tripwire" and "Tripwire Stop" emails fine, but they're just plain text, no snapshots of what's going on. What am I missing?

Once I got a Tripwire line setup and working, it crashes the Safari plug-in for me on my Mac. I have to use IE in a Windows VM to do anything now. :/

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Got two of these today, been playing around with setting up IVS (on the camera).

So far the only thing I can't figure out is how to get it to send emails w/ attachments (from the camera).

Tripwire is detecting when the line is crossed, and it's sending "Tripwire" and "Tripwire Stop" emails fine, but they're just plain text, no snapshots of what's going on. What am I missing?

Once I got a Tripwire line setup and working, it crashes the Safari plug-in for me on my Mac. I have to use IE in a Windows VM to do anything now. :/
Welcome to my world, I use a windows VM for all of that.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know it's been addressed but can't find page/thread.... can someone explain why 2mp is much better than 4mp when it comes to low light.

Also assuming the downside is during day / quality of image/video if you have a 2mp vs 4mp.
I've just put my HDW5231R-Z outside after confirming it would work with my Hikvision NVR. I've got 4 Hikvision 4mp cameras and the single 2mp HDW5231R-Z and view them via the 4K HDMI output on my NVR on a 55" Sony 4k TV. I can notice a big difference with the detail shown between the 4 and 2MP during the day- noting I haven't got them set up in the same location to do a direct comparison. At the moment the 4mp is better for me during the day. (I need to experiment more with the settings to see if I can improve the Dahua, it took me a while to get the Hikvisions to the point they are now. It could also be the upscaling of the 1920 x 1080 within the NVR or any number of other things.)

At night, the Dahua is definitely better and easily takes the lead. The larger surface area of each sensor pixel allows it to gather more light, so all things being equal the same size sensor with less pixels will give better performance at night.

(I did find a thread on here yesterday saying the Hikvision R6 firmware has issue at night with noise "pulsating" - mine do that. Hopefully Hikvision can improve their night performance.)

Bazooka302

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm getting a little frustrated with ordering through Andy with the conversation feature on this forum. He has been responsive, but I've gotten excuse after excuse why I'm not having my camera shipped. I contacted him originally on Jan 30. At that time I knew he was still on holiday for Chinese New Year, and said I would understand him being very busy when he got back to work. I've been following the forum posts about this cam and took the advise to contact him though the conversation feature and order with Paypal but it looks like he's getting more business through the Aliexpress site now and he seems to be fulfilling those orders first. I bought my IPC-HDBW4231F-AS through him as he had one in stock an he shipped it very quickly, no complaints there. My concerns are where do I stand in the "pecking order" of getting the camera? I'm only ordering one camera, not 5 or 10 so I don't know if that factors in, but at this point I'm not sure if I should keep waiting or just go on Aliexpress and order. I've purchased many things though Aliexpress and Alibaba so that's not a problem. Just want to know if any other forum member has been waiting 5 plus weeks to get an invoice.
Joe

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm getting a little frustrated with ordering through Andy with the conversation feature on this forum. He has been responsive, but I've gotten excuse after excuse why I'm not having my camera shipped. I contacted him originally on Jan 30. At that time I knew he was still on holiday for Chinese New Year, and said I would understand him being very busy when he got back to work. I've been following the forum posts about this cam and took the advise to contact him though the conversation feature and order with Paypal but it looks like he's getting more business through the Aliexpress site now and he seems to be fulfilling those orders first. I bought my IPC-HDBW4231F-AS through him as he had one in stock an he shipped it very quickly, no complaints there. My concerns are where do I stand in the "pecking order" of getting the camera? I'm only ordering one camera, not 5 or 10 so I don't know if that factors in, but at this point I'm not sure if I should keep waiting or just go on Aliexpress and order. I've purchased many things though Aliexpress and Alibaba so that's not a problem. Just want to know if any other forum member has been waiting 5 plus weeks to get an invoice.
Joe
I waited about a month and a half to get my 3 cams, and I paid in advance, these things are just ridiculously popular. I want more but I'm pretty sure I'd be waiting that and I won't buy more until the 3 I have are mounted lol.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I didn't order the above mentioned Dahua through Andy - I ordered a single camera through another Aliexpress store. I did however have in the back of my mind that they might not actually have stock. From what I've seen Andy doesn't advertise them for sale on Aliexpress unless he has stock (but I could be wrong.)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't order the above mentioned Dahua through Andy - I ordered a single camera through another Aliexpress store. I did however have in the back of my mind that they might not actually have stock. From what I've seen Andy doesn't advertise them for sale on Aliexpress unless he has stock (but I could be wrong.)
Well anyone else on Alie uses super slow shipping

Bazooka302

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I waited about a month and a half to get my 3 cams, and I paid in advance, these things are just ridiculously popular. I want more but I'm pretty sure I'd be waiting that and I won't buy more until the 3 I have are mounted lol.
When did you order? I know there was no supply of these cameras early in the year but it seems Andy has posted he's now getting them by the hundreds and it seems like people have ordered though his Ailexpress site have gotten cameras after ordering after I have. I know he's a good guy, just think I might have fallen through the cracks. Who knows who gets the next camera available? It's not like you're on a waiting list that you know what number in line you are. And I offered to prepay if it would help my getting a camera sooner, no invoice was sent.
Joe