Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

greyburn

n3wb
Reaction score
Today I received my order from @EMPIRETECANDY. Crazy fast shipping.

Ordered: (4) of the HDW5231R-Z cams, (4) PFA137 junction box, (1) HDBW4231F-AS

Ordered on: March 23rd
Shipping Notice: April 10th
Delivery: April 12th
Damn that is fast. You're lucky, I ordered/paid before you and I still haven't received any :(

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For those of you using this camera with the PFB203W wall mount did you use sealant or anything else to ensure inside everything stays dry

Prime

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm curious if the light will impact the cam while it's pointed down? The light fixture has three sides, so I am able to place something on the inside to minimize light directly onto the cam.
Does that fixture use a regular E26 / medium base / A19 bulb? If so, you could consider replacing it with an LED that is a bit more directional. That's what I did for my porch light to minimize glare on the camera. Something like this:

Kobi LED | A19 | 12 Watt = 60 Watt | 800 Lumens | 5000k Warm White | Dimmable - - Amazon.com

Most newer LEDs are more omni, but older designs were often built like this.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
For those of you using this camera with the PFB203W wall mount did you use sealant or anything else to ensure inside everything stays dry
Don't get too carried away with sealing up the 5231 cam. Look at the large gap between the ball camera part and the base turret part, it is huge. In my mind it would have been nice if Dahua had included some sort of soft gasket material to seal this up. Lots of space for wasps/hornets to get in to build their nests. Probably more important to seal up the Ethernet connection with silicone self sealing tape.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Probably more important to seal up the Ethernet
connection with silicone self sealing tape.
It does come with a waterproof connector (must be installed before cable is terminated) which has an o-ring to seal the connection between the cable and camera. If you are really paranoid you can use silicone tape over the top.

Attachments

Last edited:

cheeser

n3wb
Reaction score
Does that fixture use a regular E26 / medium base / A19 bulb? If so, you could consider replacing it with an LED that is a bit more directional. That's what I did for my porch light to minimize glare on the camera. Something like this:

Kobi LED | A19 | 12 Watt = 60 Watt | 800 Lumens | 5000k Warm White | Dimmable - - Amazon.com

Most newer LEDs are more omni, but older designs were often built like this.
yes, regular base...am using an LED bulb now. Good idea on a more directional bulb.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It does come with a waterproof connector (must be installed before cable is terminated) which has an o-ring to seal the connection between the cable and camera. If you are really paranoid you can use silicone tape over the top.
If you live in a dry area, that may be fine by itself. I would call the connector water resistant, not water proof. The tape will prevent moisture intrusion in areas that are really wet or get a lot of condensation.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey Andy - hope you are feeling better. Any idea on when you'll have more in stock?
booked 5pcs for this model, try to book HFW5431E-Z12, they said too new can't book.
Next week can get 110pcs in for the HDW5231R-Z but stock still little tight, only 30pcs left, will put on Aliexpress to sell on Tuesday.
Hey guys,

I have a bad news, this camera has 1 week delay again, so bad. I booked 450pcs last month, till now 0 comes. I will be too busy again in late April.
For the other models starlight enough stock now, if have urgent project to finish, can select others.
These days,i am not feeling well, but now much better, so reply message little delay. All orders i am watching on it, no worry.

Andy
He told me the tentative date is 4/21/17.

SD

TIM0089

n3wb
Reaction score
I have few questions on the Turret. I understand this doesn't have a PTZ, so one has to manually turn the direction. But once it is fixed to a wall, can I tilt the camera to an angle? How do I do that? How much flexibility do I have in that? Are there any videos that shows how to do this?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I have few questions on the Turret. I understand this doesn't have a PTZ, so one has to manually turn the direction. But once it is fixed to a wall, can I tilt the camera to an angle? How do I do that? How much flexibility do I have in that? Are there any videos that shows how to do this?
it's a round ball in a socket...you can turn and tilt it any way you want...

TIM0089

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, great. My setting is going to be high up in the wall, so to adjust it I have to get a ladder. Is there any way to do it programmatically? For example through Blue Iris or even raw APIs?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, great. My setting is going to be high up in the wall, so to adjust it I have to get a ladder. Is there any way to do it programmatically? For example through Blue Iris or even raw APIs?
It has no pan tilt!
Adjust it when you install it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. And I guess the focal length can be adjusted programatically?
yes but you need to do it at the time of install, because as you adjust it you will further need to manually pan tilt...

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What I've done is to log into the camera with my iPad and the idmss app and use that to view from the camera while standing on the ladder. I had my laptop nearby with the web ui up to adjust the zoom. Once all was good, tighten the set screw and done.