Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am curious what is the purpose of the "Tripwire Stop" emails I get after the substantive tripwire email is sent. Kind of annoying to get an email with the exact same time stamp with no useful content. Is there any way to turn that particular notification off?
I didn't see any way to turn off off the "stop" emails. I ended up making an email rule that automatically deleted those emails. I've since moved over to using push alerts.

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I didn't see any way to turn off off the "stop" emails. I ended up making an email rule that automatically deleted those emails. I've since moved over to using push alerts.
An email rule makes sense! Will try that too as I vet everything.

Did you use the Dahua DNS service for the app?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@waketech, try out this varifocal.. zoom is the best for getting better ID, find a choke point and zoom it in as far as you can stand for most pixels.. for residential use I find there's very few places that anything wider than 6mm works for ID purposes... most of the time the distances are too great in a driveway/sidewalk/street for wide angle.

Camera Calculator / Design Software <-- keep PPF > 100, the more the better.

waketech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@waketech, try out this varifocal.. zoom is the best for getting better ID, find a choke point and zoom it in as far as you can stand for most pixels.. for residential use I find there's very few places that anything wider than 6mm works for ID purposes... most of the time the distances are too great in a driveway/sidewalk/street for wide angle.

Camera Calculator / Design Software <-- keep PPF > 100, the more the better.
What camera do you recomend (brand/model), thanks for the link I will play around with it

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you use the Dahua DNS service for the app?
I didn't, only because I have a Synology NAS that does dynamic DNS for me (as well as act as a VPN end-point), so I just kept going with that.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Finished the pole barn install this weekend and wanted to vouch for the $12 IR canon from Amazon. It is an HDBW5231R-Z, the dome version of the Starlight Turret.

Amazon.com : JC 4pcs High Power LED IR Array Illuminator IR Lamp Wide Angle for Night Vision CCTV and IP Camera : Camera & Photo

The left corner, man door and overhead door, was dark because the camera is centered in the middle of the barn, betwen that hanging strap and the computer monitor. This little 12V - 4 led - 850nm weatherproof IR canon is worth every bit of $12. Has a photo sensor as well and only comes on when it's dark.

Bought another just to mess with. Recommended to all.

Barn 4 LED Illuminator.jpg

SD

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me....

I just installed another cam for my system. Plugged it in.... went to the default address (192.168.1.108) with the default admin and password.... changed the password when prompted.... went and changed the IP address (from the web browser)... went to my NVR and did a device search... it came up like it should... added it ... clicked OK then went to update the password for the camera (since I had already changed it. Clicked connect but I get a "The account has been locked" for this particular camera.

What did I do wrong? How do I fix this?

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me....

I just installed another cam for my system. Plugged it in.... went to the default address (192.168.1.108) with the default admin and password.... changed the password when prompted.... went and changed the IP address (from the web browser)... went to my NVR and did a device search... it came up like it should... added it ... clicked OK then went to update the password for the camera (since I had already changed it. Clicked connect but I get a "The account has been locked" for this particular camera.

What did I do wrong? How do I fix this?
Power cycle the camera by unplugging it from whatever POE Ethernet port it's plugged in to. That's all you need to do.

Oh, and plug it in again! LOL

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you change the password from defaults you have to have to hit manual add on NVR which lets you specify the correct password; if you just add it directly it uses default credentials which hammers the camera and locks the account out.

I create a backup account for my self so I cant get locked out.

program2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, tried to order from Ali Express. They flagged my legitimate AMEX and want me to send them front and back scan of my card, my driver's license and something else that I'm forgetting. There's no way in hell that's going to happen. What the eff???

Mark C

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, tried to order from Ali Express. They flagged my legitimate AMEX and want me to send them front and back scan of my card, my driver's license and something else that I'm forgetting. There's no way in hell that's going to happen. What the eff???
i believe you can ask Andy to directly bill you from Paypal to avoid this. ask him directly. this issue came up with some other people so search a few pages back in this thread.

Reaction score
I'm waiting for six of these cams and NVR coming in from Andy. I live in Texas where one of the parties must consent to audio recording. Is there a way to disable audio recording on these cams?
Better yet, if I keep recording both video/audio and if I need to provide evidence of a break in or street disturbance (where I'm not in the recording) to law enforcement, is there a way to easily remove the audio feed from the recording?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes you can disable audio by unchecking a box.

I'm no lawyer... But I really don't think adjusting evidence to be in your favor is legal and even if it is.... Not sure how well it would hold up in any actual case. I could be wrong thou.