Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
that shit seals up great, it sticks together like crazy, I use it on all the outdoor cams, I don't bother with that plastic water resistant shit that comes with the camera, I just wonder how much of a pain in the ass it will be to pull it apart when the day comes lol.

Reaction score
How concerned do I need to be about the sun damaging the sensor?

I need to install the camera on a not quite directly south facing balcony in Australia on a high point of land, ideally pointing a somewhat upwards incidentally capturing some sky (yes, I really do!).

I believe that at certain times the sun may be directly in shot for long periods of time. Will this cause damage? Do I just need to avoid the sky altogether?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How concerned do I need to be about the sun damaging the sensor?

I need to install the camera on a not quite directly south facing balcony in Australia on a high point of land, ideally pointing a somewhat upwards incidentally capturing some sky (yes, I really do!).

I believe that at certain times the sun may be directly in shot for long periods of time. Will this cause damage? Do I just need to avoid the sky altogether?
These ( IPC-HDW5231r-z ) are nice solid metal encased units, which should last a long time and give you a great service life. I would think the sensor can handle a lot more than the cheaper products.

To keep the UV from damaging the cat6 wire I would use a junction box with the wiring coming to the junction box through a nice metal ( EMT in the USA ) conduit from your attic or basement and you should be fine.

The only issue I would question would be heat / temperature related to the unit itself. If you find it is getting too hot you may want to put a radiant barrier(*) on it or some sort of sun shielding / shade. ( * like we do for space equipment )

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
it's got an auto iris so that will help but hours of sun shooting into the sensor might shorten it's like, if it dies in 3-5 years, get another, it'll be outdated by then anyways.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
upload_2017-4-22_16-12-36.png

Hey Guys,

Just get this SD6AE240V-HNI super PTZ for @nayr as a gift , and thanks for him bring us always more support and joy on the forum.
Thanks for all guys support, i will offer more good models with good price and best service.
The turret one i will get another 300pcs next weekend i think, we will process all the orders within next week if all done.
In May also have 400pcs.
Have a nice weekend to all.

Andy

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So i got my Zyxel GS1920-24HP (24 port PoE switch, both ieee802.3af and at) bought it second hand for 200 euro instead of 350 online. Now here comes the fun part.

It was DOA, didnt boot up. Luckily i have the original invoice and the seller was willing to help me. But instead i contacted Zyxel and filed an RMA based on their excellent support;
They have sent the replacement switch right away with UPS (brand new one) and i can return this one to them. Replacement switch will arive this tuesday and then i can finally mount my cam(s).

Wonder what the next step is, if i could keep this new one or that the old one comes back repaired.

jayson436

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I have contacted Andy and it sounds like I am on the hook for return shipping
How much is shipping to return one? I have an annoying audio issue (there is a constant clicking in the audio like a projector running) with a different camera I got from Andy)

Akguy25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How much is shipping to return one? I have an annoying audio issue (there is a constant clicking in the audio like a projector running) with a different camera I got from Andy)
I have not returned it yet. Andy said to wait for him to send me an address but that was several days ago. I will wait a while longer because i trust he will make it right

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What camera is it and how are you powering it?

Sounds like a ground loop?

SD

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
View attachment 17559

Hey Guys,

Just get this SD6AE240V-HNI super PTZ for @nayr as a gift , and thanks for him bring us always more support and joy on the forum.
Thanks for all guys support, i will offer more good models with good price and best service.
The turret one i will get another 300pcs next weekend i think, we will process all the orders within next week if all done.
In May also have 400pcs.
Have a nice weekend to all.

Andy
Looking forward to it.

SD

jayson436

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What camera is it and how are you powering it?

Sounds like a ground loop?

SD
It's the Starlight Mini Wedge model. It's powered by a Cisco Meraki PoE switch like my other 3 Starlight turrets and 6 other Dahua's with builtin mics that don't have this issue. I actually got a 2nd one from Andy this week as a spare and I confirmed the second one has no noise in it so it's clearly the camera. Here's a video clip I made to share with Andy that you can hear the issue in

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you put it on a bench w/a short prefab cable does it still occur?

jayson436

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, it occurs with a small patch cable connected to another Cisco PoE switch that I used during setup of my cameras. The new (same model) camera on the same cable and switch is fine.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's the Starlight Mini Wedge model. It's powered by a Cisco Meraki PoE switch like my other 3 Starlight turrets and 6 other Dahua's with builtin mics that don't have this issue. I actually got a 2nd one from Andy this week as a spare and I confirmed the second one has no noise in it so it's clearly the camera. Here's a video clip I made to share with Andy that you can hear the issue in

That's no ground loop.

Try Ryan's suggestion and/or send it back. He'll take care of it.

I'd guess an epacket is $17.01 for a 1Kg 20cm x 20cm x 15cm
DHL Express probably $25 -$30

SD

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
might take it apart and put it back together, IIRC the Mic is on an external board with a lead wire.. perhaps its not seated correctly or the wire is sitting on a voltage regulator and picking up switching noise.. sometimes just reseating the wire or taking the mic out, blowing into it to clear out any dirt/dust/manufacturing debris and putting it back in might clean up the noise.. If you installed an internal SD you could of easily yanked on that cable a lil too much..

its a hail marry, but if your competent at taking things apart and putting em back together its not alot of risk