Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

JSec

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered on 4/25 and was told stock was on hand. Haven't gotten tracking yet. We'll see what happens here over the next couple days.
I got a note from @EMPIRETECANDY yesterday that my cams had shipped. I should get a tracking number today. I'd say give it a few more days.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Till today closed most orders which paid for this model, still have some not close for the aliexpress orders. Got another 20pcs in, hope can close all.
Then we wait the new ones on May.20th~ For those who send emails to me, i put all requirement on my lists, will care all well. Invoice can send on Wednesday.
All tracking No updated. If any guy have problem for the shipping or order just send me email.
PFA137 and PFB203W i got 60pcs each next week, so better to buy these in one time, or else costs will be too much for the shipping cost.
Have a nice weekend.

Andy

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Crazy that six months later, Dahua still can't make these fast enough for the demand...

wcleme11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just finished installing 5 5231's on my vinyl siding house. I have one mounted directly into my soffit and another wall mounted. The soffit where I mounted was particularly sturdy since it's a short piece that runs into brick. The install was solid and I'm not worried about it at all. For the wall mount I used a dremel tool to cut out a section of the siding to fit the PFB203W. Under my siding in this location I have foam board sheathing. There was a stud nearby that allowed me to attach a block wood there. I mounted the PFB203W to that and then used window/door caulk to seal it up. Hopefully this is helpful to someone planning to mount on vinyl.

Other pics show my fence mounts and one I did under the roof over my deck.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics this is perfect and exactly what I wanted to see you
I just finished installing 5 5231's on my vinyl siding house. I have one mounted directly into my soffit and another wall mounted. The soffit where I mounted was particularly sturdy since it's a short piece that runs into brick. The install was solid and I'm not worried about it at all. For the wall mount I used a dremel tool to cut out a section of the siding to fit the PFB203W. Under my siding in this location I have foam board sheathing. There was a stud nearby that allowed me to attach a block wood there. I mounted the PFB203W to that and then used window/door caulk to seal it up. Hopefully this is helpful to someone planning to mount on vinyl.

Other pics show my fence mounts and one I did under the roof over my deck.

This is perfect and you have almost the exact same siding as my house :) Thank you

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, this one is really good to see possible solutions. But you might miss some solutions which are also possible regarding to the accessories PDF. You get also use PFA137 with PFA152-E, which is interesting to me, to mount the cam on my rainwater pipe.
thanks for the great install shots!....will help as a guide installing mine!...did you use 23AWG cat 6?...what gauge?...was thinking of running through those kind of wire bird blocks I have on side of garage into the garage attic to avoid drilling too many holes in walls and stuff...also, did you bother with any surge protection for the POE?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

I have five 5231 turrets.

Two came from from DragonEye.
Three came from @EMPIRETECANDY.

All five are running the same firmware (2.460.Dahua 00.7.R, build: 2017-03-06)

The two from DragonEye don't report properly in Blue Iris:
Code:
Opening port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
2017-05-13T00:56:43.000Z
Requesting device information...
Bad response
The three from Andy report fine in Blue Iris:
Code:
Opening port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
2017-05-13T00:59:48.000Z
Requesting device information...
Manufacturer: Dahua
Model: IPC-HDW5231R-Z
FirmwareVersion: 2.460.Dahua 00.7.R, build: 2017-03-06
I don't know what the difference is. I've tried resetting the two from DragonEye, and even exporting a config from one of Andy's models and importing it, and they still act differently.

They also have serial numbers that start differently (3B vs 3A):

DragonEye:
3BPAA9DM4B1XXXX
3BPAA9DM4B1XXXX

Andy:
3APAA9DM428XXXX
3APAA9DM428XXXX
3APAA9DM428XXXX

Was curious if anyone else has a 5231 with a serial number that starts with 3B, or might have seen this situation before.

Are 3Bs a Chinese model that just reports back differently or something?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
According to the Dahua Selection Chart pdf that was posted here, it looks like the HDW5 does work with the PFB203W. Why do you say it doesn't?
I stand corrected. At least one of the 15 listings on Amizon includes an "xx" referance to the HDW5231R-Z camera. See below. So now I can order one.

Dahua 2016 NEW MODEL PFB203W Wall Mount Bracket for HDBWxxR, HDWxxR-Z, HDBWxxE, HDWxxE, HDWxxS,SD22 Series
by DahuaOEM
$ 16 95 + $6.99 shipping
More Buying Choices
$16.95new(7 offers)4

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hd88

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Does anyone with a midspan or something know how much the starlight turrets actually draw in watts when the IR is cranked up and everything? I'm curious.

ZyBeR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone with a midspan or something know how much the starlight turrets actually draw in watts when the IR is cranked up and everything? I'm curious.
My 8232 draws about 10.5W with flood IR at max and long distance IR around 50%.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is what some of mine look like. Port 3 (Gate) is pretty much cranked up to 100%.

Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 9.53.00 PM.png

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just got enough stock in, so can make orders now on our shop.

BEC
Stock in now, can make orders now for the aliexpress users.
Dahua 2MP H265 WDR IR Eyeball 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z,free shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

EMPIRE:
DAHUA 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z ,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

If qty>4pcs, will offer a PFA137 or PFB203W as a free gift. Please mentioned you are the members, we only use DHL shipping, can be cheaper if use the slow way, but always headache for the speed. So we still use the DHL or DPD free tax way for EU countries which has such kind of service.
Anyone buy the bracket on our shop, just select the slow way China post, we will ship with the cams via DHL.
Thanks.

Andy

japjoe7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just got enough stock in, so can make orders now on our shop.

BEC
Stock in now, can make orders now for the aliexpress users.
Dahua 2MP H265 WDR IR Eyeball 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z,free shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

EMPIRE:
DAHUA 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z ,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

If qty>4pcs, will offer a PFA137 or PFB203W as a free gift. Please mentioned you are the members, we only use DHL shipping, can be cheaper if use the slow way, but always headache for the speed. So we still use the DHL or DPD free tax way for EU countries which has such kind of service.
Anyone buy the bracket on our shop, just select the slow way China post, we will ship with the cams via DHL.
Thanks.

Andy

I'm adding a bracket but it's only showing the DHL, it's not giving me the china post option. Is the China post only for a qty of 4 or is that for a single order as well?

namtrab

n3wb
Reaction score
In regards to the Starlight and using a POE NVR...

I plan on using a Dahua POE NVR (not BI, etc with a POE switch). My question is, when connected to the POE NVR, can you still login to the actual camera itself, or do you need to power the camera differently (power adapter, POE injector, etc) and connect cat5 directly into my LAN in order to login to the camera?

Back when I was initially looking into IP cams, logging into a camera while connected to a POE NVR was not possible, and then some makes/models corrected this via firmware. You originally had to disconnect the cam, power it using separate power, and connect directly to your LAN. Then when you make the settings changes that you wanted, then reconnect the cam to your POE NVR. Or, you could use a POE switch along with a non-POE NVR and it would work. The problem was when using a POE NVR. Like I said, it's been a while since I got into this topic, and just wanted to make sure what I'm getting into. I realize that my question is more based on the NVR than it is the camera, but I thought I'd ask anyway since I'm REALLY interested in this Starlight.

Edit...on the Hik NVRs, this feature was called 'Virtual Host'. Does the Dahua POE NVRs have this ability?

Last edited: