Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@mordak

I do not use Dahua NVR. I have Blue Iris as mentioned previously. When I updated my camera firmware, it was done using the camera web UI. And I tested zoom thru the camera web UI as well.

Perhaps the Dahua NVR can be configured to allow you access to the camera web UI. Someone who owns Dahua NVR will have to chime in. I would not rush to say that NVR is bad just yet.

Juggler

n3wb
Reaction score
I pulled the following screen-grab straight from the manual for the HDW5231R-Z. It looks like there should be an option for Relay Out...

The 5231 turrets never had an alarm out as far as I know.

Dahua's "IVS" and Hikvision's "Smart Events" each have their own unique commands they send when those events trigger (plus their own unique ways of how to connect to the cameras to even look for those commands). BI would have to be programmed with those details. It doesn't support them now.

As far as I know, the only thing that supports Dahua IVS events are Dahua NVRs. I think someone has written a little program that you can run that looks for them, so that might be able to be modified to connect to BI (using JSON?) and kick off a recording when it sees an IVS event.

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I figured out how to get zoom working...but it's in a very awkward/weird place. I have to go to setup>image>image and press the Auto Focus button at the bottom

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@mordak

I do not use Dahua NVR. I have Blue Iris as mentioned previously. When I updated my camera firmware, it was done using the camera web UI. And I tested zoom thru the camera web UI as well.

Perhaps the Dahua NVR can be configured to allow you access to the camera web UI. Someone who owns Dahua NVR will have to chime in. I would not rush to say that NVR is bad just yet.
@mordak Related. Are you sure you are not accidentally trying to update NVR firmware instead of camera firmware?

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@mordak Related. Are you sure you are not accidentally trying to update NVR firmware instead of camera firmware?
Yes I was :( I found where to upgrade the camera firmware, and these cameras already have the most recent one...so that issue is solved.

Where can I find firmware for my NVR4108-8P-4KS2 I bought from Andy/Empire? There's not much info on this forum about this NVR

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
it says 14 to 5000kbits what does that mean ? the range gap is really huge.

also whats 264 vs 265, whicu one for bkue iris?
h265 uses about 40% less hard drive space than h264. Use H265.

bitrate depends on what frame rate you set, and what resolution (1080p etc)

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I figured out how to get zoom working...but it's in a very awkward/weird place. I have to go to setup>image>image and press the Auto Focus button at the bottom

This is the normal place for a varifocal cam, which you bought. It's not a PTZ and not controllable via the PTZ Controls. It's just a setting like others. You mount it, you find the best focus for you, and then you set it and forget it.

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
tha
h265 uses about 40% less hard drive space than h264. Use H265.

bitrate depends on what frame rate you set, and what resolution (1080p etc)
thanks! yeah looking for 1080p, or is there a way to record at 1090p but stream at 720 for example? quality for 265 = 264?

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Use these for the PFB203W

Builders Edge 6.625 in. x 6.625 #001 White Triple 3-Surface Block-130110007001 - The Home Depot

Shop Builders Edge 6.625-in x 6.625-in White Vinyl Universal Mounting Block at Lowes.com

If your soffit will support the camera/PF137 junction box, yes it's fine. Mine is hollow and I would need support.

SD
I bought this, but where is the wiring supposed to go then? I wanted to run the Ethernet up behind my gutter into the soffit/attic on my 2nd floor. I don't want to cut a hole in my house to put the cabling from the camera. With this mounting block it looks like the cabling can't come out the side and to my gutter, correct?

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is in the instructions linked off the page you posted above.

Do you have a buddy that is into DIY that can assist on site?
I don't...I've read the instructions, but still don't understand wear the cables go. Putting the cables through my vinyl siding/wall isn't an option, there's insulation in there and can't run it to the attic with the insulation (I think?)

I thought the cables would just come out the side of the mounting block, be visible for a few inches, then go behind my gutter and up into my 2nd story soffit to the attic. But I don't think the cables can come out the side of the mounting block

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't want to cut a hole in my house
I am not checking the spec sheets for dimensions for you as the have the Dahau mount and your Home Depot Builders Edge (BE) in your hands.

Is the Builder's Edge big enough for the Dahua to mount onto without overlap? If so you are in luck, if not get a bigger mount if available.

If things fit without overhang, follow instructions for BE mounting, run you cable as you proposed above, have cable enter bottom of Dahua mount If would look better drill side entry onto Dahua mount and calk.

Make sure that you attach the BE Dahua mount, very securely to your house. You don't want it crashing down in a few months time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
post a c
I don't...I've read the instructions, but still don't understand wear the cables go. Putting the cables through my vinyl siding/wall isn't an option, there's insulation in there and can't run it to the attic with the insulation (I think?)
This is easily done...get a professional who knows what hes doing to run the cable..

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry... computers are my specialty, not handy with this kind of stuff.

Is this how it should look like when it's mounted to the block?

But 1st I would take off the back metal plate with 6 holes, put 6 screws in the holes into the mounting block/vinyl siding/side of house. Then put it back together. But how do I put that thin metal bar back on, the part that already has 2 screws on it in the picture, because it will be up against the mounting block:

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is a sandwich. siding, Builder's Edge, PFB203W.

You have the cable coming the correct way out of the PFB203W.

not handy with this kind of stuff.
Up to you but are you really sure that you want to tackle this job? Second story, drilling holes into your house, working at heights with valuable equipment that you haven't been able to work out how to assemble at your desk. Your call.

Engage safety squints!