Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First post and new owner of security cameras. Ran Ethernet all through our new home with several current and future camera locations. So after a bunch of reading, decided to purchase 2 of these cameras (front door and rear door for closer ) and 2 of the Starlight 7-35mm bullet cameras (driveway and rear yard for wider viewing). So now my question - what is the preferred way to record the video - PC? NVR? Blue iris? Other? Thanks for suggestions as I get set up in our new home. Very appreciative sights like this exist - almost purchased the nightowl security pack from Costco - all domes.
i would either buy an nvr from andy to match the cameras or get a pc and use blue iris

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Andy just mailed me a camera and it has new firmware!

Version: 2.460.0000.9.R. 2017-04-28

But this version isn't on Dahua's official site yet.

What are the updates in this firmware Andy?

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Was they female or male?> .................Pointless having a camera where you have it IMHO and would be better lower down and a narrower lens to identify people, unless you are only interested in what time they stole your car.
Sucking eggs.... That camera is soak testing - in the UK you are supposed to aim them so they only see your property so the other cameras I have didn't get a close up as they didn't come near my car as the alarm went off and they ran - there are several other cameras but none get an overall view of the scene like this one did.

I do find it's actually quite nice having an overall view like this as it gives a lot more context to the closer up view the other cameras have.

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy just mailed me a camera and it has new firmware!
Version: 2.460.0000.9.R. 2017-04-28
But this version isn't on Dahua's official site yet.
Can you check to see if there are any changes in it for Profile Management? Wondering if it actually works now.

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did just now figure out how to get schedule to work but schedule is very crude and limited. Is that all there is? What is normal? Is there any way to get day/night to be triggered by the light sensor (and have the IR set to off) ?

PR0r

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I purchased this camera about 4 months or so back and it's worked without any issues. Yesterday I decided to update the firmware using the file in the OP.
The unit is now offline and I'm not sure how to get it back into operation.
I've tried to scan the 192.168.0/1 range without success.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Update - The device randomly responds to ping requests. So it is up, config tool however doesn't detect it.
Update #2 - No IR at night, so camera may not be completely functioning.

Last edited:

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I purchased this camera about 4 months or so back and it's worked without any issues. Yesterday I decided to update the firmware using the file in the OP.
The unit is now offline and I'm not sure how to get it back into operation.
I've tried to scan the 192.168.0/1 range without success.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Update - The device randomly responds to ping requests. So it is up, config tool however doesn't detect it.
A neighbour had a lower model Dahua have the same problem - we had to pop it open and bridge the reset pins at power up and it's worked perfectly since then. If the cabling etc is all ok then it may be worth looking into something like a hard reset to defaults like that.

PR0r

n3wb
Reaction score
If the cabling etc is all ok then it may be worth looking into something like a hard reset to defaults like that.
I'm gathering this would require me taking the camera down and opening it up?
I've gotta say, I'm really disappointed that this has happened.

Last edited:

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm gathering this would require me taking the camera down and opening it up?
It would unfortunately but it doesn't take too long, just be careful opening and closing the case etc.

It's definitely quicker than returning to China :)

First port of call is take it down and try another cable just to ensure that's all ok etc

PR0r

n3wb
Reaction score
you hold it down during the boot process and it should wipe out the existing configuration file and reboot again.
Given that I've recently upgraded the firmware and near killed my unit, would this simply just wipe the config files?
If for some reason my firmware didn't flash or wasn't right, can I reflash/revert back to my previous/original firmware?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Given that I've recently upgraded the firmware and near killed my unit, would this simply just wipe the config files?
If for some reason my firmware didn't flash or wasn't right, can I reflash/revert back to my previous/original firmware?
Sorry to hear about your troubles; it is frustrating and I sympathize with you. In case you had not seen the thread below, which was linked somewhere in this thread: Dahua Camera Best Practices

For me, I would only stick with the firmware @nayr posts in this thread, because I don't need any additional headaches, but YMMV. Also, here are my personal, curated notes from that post in the event they help you:

Cameras can be bricked when attempting apply a firmware upgrade with the camera still getting hammered by malware. To mitigate this, connect the cameras directly to your PC (disable its internet connection) for updates or disconnect your home internet connection. Which leads onto the Best Practice Reminder for those having stability or security issues; if you follow these guidelines, it should resolve most issues.

To prevent botnet malware, change the default username/password on your cameras and all devices on your network and then restart them, hoping it is not one of those persistent bugs that live in virtual memory.

Running older firmware can cause multiple security issues, so upgrade to the latest (tested) firmware.

Prevent the cameras from connecting to the Internet, either via DMZ/UPNP/Port forwarding in the router.
This can cause issues with too many connection attempts from the Internet, especially if they have malware. When setting your static IP Address, set a false gateway IP Address to disable the internet connection. You cannot just leave it blank, as this will cause an error message when trying to save.

Block the camera IP / MAC addresses via your router. Get a router that supports being a VPN Server. The cameras should only communicate with the local lan and/or the VPN lan.

Block easy4ip in your router, as it ignored being disabled in the camera prior to the 2017 firmware release.

If you have issues accessing the camera web GUI after firmware upgrades, but they responds to pings, most likely the camera has malware again, and is also blocking connection attempts. Start over and run setup again, strictly adhering to the instructions above.

katamara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I've just received my first Good camera from Andy! (previously I tried cheap cameras that just do not work). So I purchased just the camera. I still have it on a test rig, but plan on permanently mounting it shortly.

How are you guys mounting these? Are you just mounting the camera and bracket to the wall or soffit? Are you using the PFA137 junction box? Or are you using the PFB203W wall mount?
Can I use the PFA137 junction box when mounting on the wall? Or do I need the PFB203W wall mount?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For me, I would only stick with the firmware @nayr posts in this thread, because I don't need any additional headaches, but YMMV.
Remember that he hasn't been active on the forum in awhile (#life), so at some point newer firmware will come out that he will not have seen to update this OP with...

Looks like recent cameras have been arriving with .8 and .9 firmware installed, which nobody's been able to download separately yet (AFAIK).

xips

n3wb
Reaction score
Nayr's 1st page firmware link is a convenient firmware source. The product page firmware download is the same file as shown by hash counts.

Not taking anything away form nayr's attention to detail but I would hope the product page's firmware is always current.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I've just received my first Good camera from Andy! (previously I tried cheap cameras that just do not work). So I purchased just the camera. I still have it on a test rig, but plan on permanently mounting it shortly.

How are you guys mounting these? Are you just mounting the camera and bracket to the wall or soffit? Are you using the PFA137 junction box? Or are you using the PFB203W wall mount?
Can I use the PFA137 junction box when mounting on the wall? Or do I need the PFB203W wall mount?
Mountin notes collected from having read through this entire thread. Hopefully the images are coming through:

Siding Mounting

Mounting Blocks for siding - The Home Depot

Builders Edge 6.625 in. x 6.625 #001 White Triple 3-Surface Block-130110007001 - The Home Depot

– This was recommended for use with the PFA203 wall mount; check link above for other colors, or scroll down in this link to see the other colors available.

Builders Edge 6.625-in x 6.625-in White Vinyl Universal Mounting Block - Lowes

– This was recommended for use with the PFA203 wall mount; check link above for other colors.

Soffit Mounting

If your soffit will support the camera/PF137 junction box, yes it's fine. Mine is hollow and I would need support. Depending on what type of soffit. In the newer home, most soffit are plastic type of material that basically snap in with interlocking joints. You would just locate those interlocking joints and unsnap it then it should easily come off which can be snapped back in place again after you install a piece of wood or material for the camera to mount on to.

Depending upon how it was constructed, sometimes a 3” screw can catch part of the wood roof trusses inside the soffit.

An electrician friend recommended these for soffits from the Depot for $14. They are two piece and spread between the trusses. You only cut out a 4" hole and feed the spreader through. The J-Box attaches after and provides cable protection. The camera would screw right in to the J-box and cover the hole you cut.

15.5 cu. in. Retrofit Ceiling Fan Saf-T-Brace-0110000 - The Home Depot

Dome Wall-Mount Options

Link to Empire Tech's Ali Express Store - Dahua Brackets

Caveman said:

Can this be mounted flat against a horizontal wall, or do you need to buy the mount?

Options:
a) Mount directly on wall - drill 3/4" hole - connect cat5e/cat6 within the wall or attic (~16-18" of cable to the end of the connector)

b) Use a junction box or wall mount to mount the camera. Make a smaller hole for the category cable in the wall OR use a conduit, and connect the cables within the junction box.

Weatherproofing Connections

The included RJ-45 waterproof connector is OK, but it can be improved with Di-Electric grease in the connections: Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube | Amazon, as well as wrapping the end with self-sealing silicon tape: 3M Scotch 2228 Rubber Mastic Electrical Tape 50727-BA-5 Home Depot Universal Electronics Original # 104 Coax Seal | Amazon

Some recommended RJ-45 waterproof connectors on Amazon and ebay, but these require you to cut and re-terminate the camera’s connector.
CNBTR LAN RJ45 AP Female to Female Adapter Waterproof connector M25 Ethernet | Amazon
0-24V DC LAN RJ45 M25 Ethernet AP Waterproof connector 8 core for double cable | eBay

All Dahua Products and Mounting Solutions

I like this one. Easier to find the right solution. Page 46 for the HDW5231R-Z

http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/download/2017_Q1_IP_VIDEO_PRODUCT_SELECTION_2.15_LOW.pdf

Weatherproofing The PFA 137 Junction Box

This junction box won't be waterproof with at turret camera installed on it. There still opening around the turret where water can get into the junction box, if you want it to be waterproof then you need to find a solution.

You can caulk around the whole turret to seal it in if done neatly without getting it on the lens. After caulking, you won’t be able to do any more adjustment without breaking the caulk re-caulking it.

Best option is a lid for the junction box and install the turret on top of the lid. Just get a either 1/16 or 1/8 solid plastic sheet and use the junction box to make an outline on the plastic. Cut out the outline and use turret mount to mark the screw holes and drill out the holes.

Then you will need to drill a 3/4 hole in center of the lid to run the Ethernet cable thru it.

Either seal center hole with silicone II chalk or use a rubber grommet to seal it up. You can check my surveillance build thread in installation forum on how I sealed my Ethernet cable thru the wall.

Just screw the turret down to the junction box with the lid in between. There no need to chalk the lid since the junction box already have a rubber seal around it.

Adjust turret and lock it down with security screw. It should be fully weather proofed or hose down proof too

Dahua Mounts

- PFA137 $9.69 through AliExpress Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Material

Aluminum

Dimension

φ122x34.2mm

Inch Thread

M20(G1/2”)

- PFB203W $14.72 through AliExpress Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Material

Aluminum

Dimension (L x W x H)

160mmx 122mm x 76mm

For the HFWxxR-Z series bullet cameras, this box works, apparently

- PFA121 $24.31 through AliExpress Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Material

Aluminum

Dimension (W x D x H)

134mm x 134mm x 55mm

Pipe Thread

M20(G1/2”)

[note: If Andy is out of stock, check Jimbu on Aliexpress - if you purchase enough they will DHL the shipment.]

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Mountin notes collected from having read through this entire thread. Hopefully the images are coming through:

Siding Mounting

Mounting Blocks for siding - The Home Depot

Builders Edge 6.625 in. x 6.625 #001 White Triple 3-Surface Block-130110007001 - The Home Depot

– This was recommended for use with the PFA203 wall mount; check link above for other colors, or scroll down in this link to see the other colors available.

Builders Edge 6.625-in x 6.625-in White Vinyl Universal Mounting Block - Lowes

– This was recommended for use with the PFA203 wall mount; check link above for other colors.

Soffit Mounting

If your soffit will support the camera/PF137 junction box, yes it's fine. Mine is hollow and I would need support. Depending on what type of soffit. In the newer home, most soffit are plastic type of material that basically snap in with interlocking joints. You would just locate those interlocking joints and unsnap it then it should easily come off which can be snapped back in place again after you install a piece of wood or material for the camera to mount on to.

Depending upon how it was constructed, sometimes a 3” screw can catch part of the wood roof trusses inside the soffit.

An electrician friend recommended these for soffits from the Depot for $14. They are two piece and spread between the trusses. You only cut out a 4" hole and feed the spreader through. The J-Box attaches after and provides cable protection. The camera would screw right in to the J-box and cover the hole you cut.

15.5 cu. in. Retrofit Ceiling Fan Saf-T-Brace-0110000 - The Home Depot

Dome Wall-Mount Options

Link to Empire Tech's Ali Express Store - Dahua Brackets

Caveman said:

Can this be mounted flat against a horizontal wall, or do you need to buy the mount?

Options:
a) Mount directly on wall - drill 3/4" hole - connect cat5e/cat6 within the wall or attic (~16-18" of cable to the end of the connector)

b) Use a junction box or wall mount to mount the camera. Make a smaller hole for the category cable in the wall OR use a conduit, and connect the cables within the junction box.

Weatherproofing Connections

The included RJ-45 waterproof connector is OK, but it can be improved with Di-Electric grease in the connections: Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube | Amazon, as well as wrapping the end with self-sealing silicon tape: 3M Scotch 2228 Rubber Mastic Electrical Tape 50727-BA-5 Home Depot Universal Electronics Original # 104 Coax Seal | Amazon

Some recommended RJ-45 waterproof connectors on Amazon and ebay, but these require you to cut and re-terminate the camera’s connector.
CNBTR LAN RJ45 AP Female to Female Adapter Waterproof connector M25 Ethernet | Amazon
0-24V DC LAN RJ45 M25 Ethernet AP Waterproof connector 8 core for double cable | eBay

All Dahua Products and Mounting Solutions

I like this one. Easier to find the right solution. Page 46 for the HDW5231R-Z

http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/download/2017_Q1_IP_VIDEO_PRODUCT_SELECTION_2.15_LOW.pdf

Weatherproofing The PFA 137 Junction Box

This junction box won't be waterproof with at turret camera installed on it. There still opening around the turret where water can get into the junction box, if you want it to be waterproof then you need to find a solution.

You can caulk around the whole turret to seal it in if done neatly without getting it on the lens. After caulking, you won’t be able to do any more adjustment without breaking the caulk re-caulking it.

Best option is a lid for the junction box and install the turret on top of the lid. Just get a either 1/16 or 1/8 solid plastic sheet and use the junction box to make an outline on the plastic. Cut out the outline and use turret mount to mark the screw holes and drill out the holes.

Then you will need to drill a 3/4 hole in center of the lid to run the Ethernet cable thru it.

Either seal center hole with silicone II chalk or use a rubber grommet to seal it up. You can check my surveillance build thread in installation forum on how I sealed my Ethernet cable thru the wall.

Just screw the turret down to the junction box with the lid in between. There no need to chalk the lid since the junction box already have a rubber seal around it.

Adjust turret and lock it down with security screw. It should be fully weather proofed or hose down proof too

Dahua Mounts

- PFA137 $9.69 through AliExpress Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Material

Aluminum

Dimension

φ122x34.2mm

Inch Thread

M20(G1/2”)

- PFB203W $14.72 through AliExpress Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Material

Aluminum

Dimension (L x W x H)

160mmx 122mm x 76mm

For the HFWxxR-Z series bullet cameras, this box works, apparently

- PFA121 $24.31 through AliExpress Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Material

Aluminum

Dimension (W x D x H)

134mm x 134mm x 55mm

Pipe Thread

M20(G1/2”)

[note: If Andy is out of stock, check Jimbu on Aliexpress - if you purchase enough they will DHL the shipment.]
PFA121, PFA137, PFB203W we have many stocks in, sometimes we will put some free brackets if buy a whole system. not a big problem.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
These days make a little mistakes for the shipment, seems the warehouse guy bit tired, lol, Will try my best to sort this out soon, this model still the most stable models we currently have.
Get some hot turrets cam , 4mp IPC-HDW5431R-Z, 8mp IPC-HDW5830R-Z SD49225T-HN-W (WIFI), NVR5224-24P-4KS2, seems dahua put one some 6MP ones now, maybe i can get one for reviewing here, as @nayr is busy and can't be here, so try to find a guy who can do this when he is free, but reliable, before some guys take the camera(FISHEYE PTZ) with very cheap/free but disappeared, lol... but anyway, here is a place make us learn more about the new technology and make our space safe,and fun!

And Camera for Watching license plate one, right now IPC-HFW5431E-Z5 is a good choice.
IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 (Enough stock)IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 bad lack of stock again. need 40days booking.
IPC-HFW8232E-Z is the best bullet till now, though a little expensive.
I am also be happy to talk with all guys here to make the ball rolling, not just you buy from us or not, i will do support if need any help.