Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Indeed. Recommend a junction box PFA137 or PFB203W wall mount - the wall mount is better imho for water resistance. Other options are pushing the wiring back into the wall or soffit - or surface mounting the wiring ( which may make it easy for someone to cut if they can reach it - so I don't like that option as much )
The junction box will not help with water resistance but if you need the room for your wiring harness you need the room. I personally will be mounting to a soffit and other locations where the wiring can be tucked into the hole under the cam. This turret cam has a face only a mother could love.... the low-profile the better.

Robert

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The junction box will not help with water resistance but if you need the room for your wiring harness you need the room. I personally will be mounting to a soffit and other locations where the wiring can be tucked into the hole under the cam. This turret cam has a face only a mother could love.... the low-profile the better.

Robert
fyi - some of the junction boxes are IP66 rated.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fyi - some of the junction boxes are IP66 rated.
Right, but everyone around here will want to drill a hole in it for good measure. Lol... and put it at the bottom of course. :)
Seriously though, the base ring of the cam will not seal any better to the junction box than it would to a flat surface or the surface intended for the junction box mount... with the junction box now there are two places for water to enter. I'm not saying that this is a problem. I'm just saying, don't add a junction box to improve weather resiliency.

R

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Right, but everyone around here will want to drill a hole in it for good measure. Lol... and put it at the bottom of course. :)
Seriously though, the base ring of the cam will not seal any better to the junction box than it would to a flat surface or the surface intended for the junction box mount... with the junction box now there are two places for water to enter. I'm not saying that this is a problem. I'm just saying, don't add a junction box to improve weather resiliency.

R
Well it really depends on which box you get and how you install it. Remember you need a place to store the wires, AND you will potentially need to access the wires to replace the camera / add or change the micro-SD card.. or what not. The PFA121 junction box is very nice to help keep water out - nicer than the PFA137. Use silicone caulking when mounting the box on the wall and silicone stretch tape for the connection and you've got a nicer setup. [ Edit - update - PFA121 for Dahua square bullets, PFA137 for turrets - or PFB203W for wall mount box ]

Last edited:

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well it really depends on which box you get and how you install it. Remember you need a place to store the wires, AND you will potentially need to access the wires to replace the camera / add or change the micro-SD card.. or what not. The PFA121 junction box is very nice to help keep water out - nicer than the PFA137. Use silicone caulking when mounting the box on the wall and silicone stretch tape for the connection and you've got a nicer setup.
I didn't realize there were two junction boxes... point taken—thanks Matt. After all this, watch me go crazy mounting junction boxes!

Rob

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Same hardware, different firmware. You can flash it back and forth between PAL and NTSC if needed.

I think you might need the paid iDMSS app for push notifications.
I understand. But do you also need the Dahua NVR to make it work or the Dahua NVR is not necessary?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

tonalt

n3wb
Reaction score
Can my Zyxel GS1900-8HP PoE switch power this camera directly, or do I need some kind of extra device?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can my Zyxel GS1900-8HP PoE switch power this camera directly, or do I need some kind of extra device?
you dont need anything else...note with that switch, it come set via factory to poe classification mode...you must set it to consumption mode or it wont power more than 4 cameras....remember to hit save up on top, or your settings will revert on power cycle/loss.

leafkicker

n3wb
Reaction score
I managed to install this camera flush against a brick wall without any junction box, you just have to take the grub screw out and camera. Wind the cable around so it can fit inside the housing and reinsert the grub screw. The long waterproof connector wont fit on so you have to use self amalgamating tape with electrical tape over the top (to get it to mold correctly) between the connector and Ethernet plug.

tonalt

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm thinking to store data without home server. Video files would go to internal microSD-card. But that's not safe because what stops the intruder from taking the microSD-card. So if I could at least send motion detect stills outside the property so the footage would be safe. I know the camera can upload these with FTP and email. But FTP is not secure protocol and FTP servers aren't that common anymore, it's replaced with SFTP. I guess this device does not support SFTP? Then there's email, but it sounds stupid to send email from every still image.

How would you do the setup? Proper home server in secure place would be good, but it's expensive, time demanding and theoretically intruder could also just destroy/steal it.

virtua.jdub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
the iDMSS app
I purchased 3 of these cameras from @EMPIRETECANDY who is a top notch seller, and the cameras are quite amazing. With regards to the Dahua software and using SD Cards, I had numerous issues, which I had documented in my posts when I first joined this forum. That said, if you have a PC that is powerful enough, I would HIGHLY recommend using Blue Iris. The software is top notch, and it's been rock solid. There's so many different settings and configurations, but I found it fairly intuitive to use and configure. The mobile app is top notch as well. Notifications are spot on - as I don't recall receiving any "false" positives (eg leaves / trees moving) - even with the default sensitivity/regions set. I have 9 camera feeds through Blue Iris right now with no issues.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How would you do the setup? Proper home server in secure place would be good, but it's expensive, time demanding and theoretically intruder could also just destroy/steal it.
Redundancy options - which help reduce chances of intruders taking video evidence:
1) micro-SD cards installed in cameras for local storage - Pro: takes significant time and effort for intruder to access and open up each camera Con: If you have a lot of cameras the additional purchase of an micro-SD card adds up as well as maintenance when cards fail.
2) Use another NVR / Blue Iris PC - thus you will have 2 recording devices.
3) FTP / NAS server ( note, with the constant stream of videos you will need to test and perhaps tune your FTP / NAS server setup to determine if it is performant. )
4) Cloud storage - some vendors offer cloud storage as an additional service option. You may also be able to set up something.

SAVideoman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Redundancy options - which help reduce chances of intruders taking video evidence:
1) micro-SD cards installed in cameras for local storage - Pro: takes significant time and effort for intruder to access and open up each camera Con: If you have a lot of cameras the additional purchase of an micro-SD card adds up as well as maintenance when cards fail.
2) Use another NVR / Blue Iris PC - thus you will have 2 recording devices.
3) FTP / NAS server ( note, with the constant stream of videos you will need to test and perhaps tune your FTP / NAS server setup to determine if it is performant. )
4) Cloud storage - some vendors offer cloud storage as an additional service option. You may also be able to set up something.
5) Hide a USB HDD behind a wall with a USB connector wall plate covering it up. Run a USB cable from the wall to your surveillance PC. Have your software record trigger video to the hidden HDD. The perps will hurriedly just rip out cables to pull the PC while leaving the hidden HDD behind.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to configure BlueIris to do this. If anybody has suggestions that would be great!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
5) Hide a USB HDD behind a wall with a USB connector wall plate covering it up. Run a USB cable from the wall to your surveillance PC. Have your software record trigger video to the hidden HDD. The perps will hurriedly just rip out cables to pull the PC while leaving the hidden HDD behind.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to configure BlueIris to do this. If anybody has suggestions that would be great!
Perhaps a cat5e keystone jack wall plate - with some sort of hidden NAS would work?