Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Reaction score
Which Dahua nvr are you using.? Which poe switch?
Pros and cons? Are you happy with your setup.?
Using an NVR5216-4kS2 with (2) 4TB WD Purple hard drives. Gives me plenty of storage, and is rock solid. The switch is a TP-Link 8-port POE+ switch and that has been rock solid too. With the external POE+ switch setup I can position it in an easily accessible location to terminate all the Cat5e wiring from the outside cameras. The NVR is located in a convenient and secure location away from the switch. Accessing the video for either live or playback can be done using for the most part, SmartPSS on a computer and TinyCam Monitor Pro from my cell or tablet. Of Course, all cams/NVR are blocked from accessing the Internet so I use OpenVPN to access them when away from home.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The junction box can be used as a wall mount as well, right? I noticed the screw-holes in the back, are covered by adhesive (which I believe also acts as a water-proof barrier). Can someone please elaborate on this, thanks :)
The PFA137 has a rubber foam adhesive on its back. There are little holes for the screws in the foam. The big hole is totally covered by the foam.

samys

n3wb
Reaction score
Using an NVR5216-4kS2 with (2) 4TB WD Purple hard drives. Gives me plenty of storage, and is rock solid. The switch is a TP-Link 8-port POE+ switch and that has been rock solid too. With the external POE+ switch setup I can position it in an easily accessible location to terminate all the Cat5e wiring from the outside cameras. The NVR is located in a convenient and secure location away from the switch. Accessing the video for either live or playback can be done using for the most part, SmartPSS on a computer and TinyCam Monitor Pro from my cell or tablet. Of Course, all cams/NVR are blocked from accessing the Internet so I use OpenVPN to access them when away from home.
Hi, how do you block the cameras from accessing the internet, thx. What is the switch model please.

Reaction score
Hi, how do you block the cameras from accessing the internet, thx. What is the switch model please.
TP-Link Switch model: TL-SG1008PE Blocking internet access is done in the router, buy setting up firewall rules for each specific device IP (each camera and NVR). I block outbound and inbound WAN traffic. How you define the rules is dependent on what make and model of router you use.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you, I'll need to apply the silicone around the junction box then to prevent any exposure to the elements :)
I'm thinking of using 3/4" PVC in conjunction with the box. Do we have to create threads around the PVC? Or just glue and slip in?

The PFA137 has a rubber foam adhesive on its back. There are little holes for the screws in the foam. The big hole is totally covered by the foam.

samys

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, I'll need to apply the silicone around the junction box then to prevent any exposure to the elements :)
I'm thinking of using 3/4" PVC in conjunction with the box. Do we have to create threads around the PVC? Or just glue and slip in?
I just bought this junction box, will upload a few photos when I get home if you want.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think you'll need Silicone there... especially not with the HDW5231, since it's IP67, and the RJ45 socket is also water resistant if you use the included connection kit. I think the back will be almost waterproof if tighten well to the wall, the rubber foam will fit to the underground.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another (easier and quicker?) option to block Internet access until you figure out what to do going forward is to set a false gateway IP address in the cameras and or NVR.

Just make sure the false gateway address is outside the IP range of the DHCP server of your router.

I went this route initially because if you don't know what you're doing with the firewall rules you can block access to everything if you do it wrong, and I just didn't need that headache.

Hit the link in my signature for PoE switch recommendations I collected.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The PFA137 mount conduit connection holes are compatible with 1/2" EMT (metal conduit) threaded connectors available in the USA. If you really want to use 3/4" ENT (Gray Carlon-style PVC conduit) or PVC pipe, I think they make transition connectors to go from the 3/4" ENT or PVC to the 1/2" EMT connectors.

Keep in mind you will still have the limitation of fitting whatever cables through 1/2" EMT threaded connector. I mention this because I am planning on using 3/4" EMT for a backyard camera project, and realized this limitation.

Mark

samys

n3wb
Reaction score
Another (easier and quicker?) option to block Internet access until you figure out what to do going forward is to set a false gateway IP address in the cameras and or NVR.

Just make sure the false gateway address is outside the IP range of the DHCP server of your router.

I went this route initially because if you don't know what you're doing with the firewall rules you can block access to everything if you do it wrong, and I just didn't need that headache.

Hit the link in my signature for PoE switch recommendations I collected.

Mark

Silly question, how do you acces the cameras then. I am using a Synology NAS, but having trouble to set up the 5231:(. Thx

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Silly question, how do you acces the cameras then. I am using a Synology NAS, but having trouble to set up the 5231:(. Thx
With the false gateway IP address, you can still access the cameras, but they cannot access the internet or your internal network, as they cannot get to the gateway. Again, I did this initially. Now I have OpenVPN set up, and can access my cameras remotely. I now allow them to access the internet and my internal network through the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter's "Established/Related Connections" firewall rule, but need to set up my firewall rules to restrict them further; its on my list to research how to do this.

Hit the link in my signature for setup guidance; might save you alot of time and frustration.

Mark

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
With the false gateway IP address, you can still access the cameras, but they cannot access the internet or your internal network, as they cannot get to the gateway. Again, I did this initially. Now I have OpenVPN set up, and can access my cameras remotely. I now allow them to access the internet and my internal network through the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter's "Established/Related Connections" firewall rule, but need to set up my firewall rules to restrict them further; its on my list to research how to do this.

Hit the link in my signature for setup guidance; might save you alot of time and frustration.

Mark
excellent info in your link..... !

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
TP-Link Switch model: TL-SG1008PE Blocking internet access is done in the router, buy setting up firewall rules for each specific device IP (each camera and NVR). I block outbound and inbound WAN traffic. How you define the rules is dependent on what make and model of router you use.
If you have a Ubiquiti router, would you be willing to share your rule setup methodology?

samys

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is the junction box:

Attachments

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I used the parental control settings on my router, that's dead easy if your router has this feature.
I just set it to block all internet access 24/7 for my cameras, everything else works perfectly still with no real risk of messing anything up.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I used the parental control settings on my router, that's dead easy if your router has this feature.
I just set it to block all internet access 24/7 for my cameras, everything else works perfectly still with no real risk of messing anything up.
seems like a quick easy fix. what are the drawbacks with this method, as opposed to open VPN etc?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
seems like a quick easy fix. what are the drawbacks with this method, as opposed to open VPN etc?
No camera access outside your network is the drawback. If that's no problem you're good.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
No camera access outside your network is the drawback. If that's no problem you're good.

def need camera access outside.. will look back into open VPN with my netgear nighthawk router

Reaction score
Got the camera (IPC-HDW5231R-Z), it's really nice. I'm able to run full color at night time, get enough light from a street light and my garage/porch light. It shipped with PAL firmware. I want to change firmware to NTSC so that I can get 30FPS.

I downloaded the firmware from IPC-HDW5231R-Z | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

When I extract the file, login to the camera web interface, go System => Upgrade, click browse, choose the .bin file that I extracted from the firmware zip then click upload, it tells me "Bad file format! Some functions have been closed,reboot device now?"

The camera currently is on firmware 2.460.0000.14.R, Build Date: 2017-07-20, which is newer than the firmware I downloaded.

Any ideas?