Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive looked at both. Ive got them infront of me. The buttons appear greyed out, so I was wondering why, can this even zoom, etc hence the post. I assume its the Microscope with + and -
the buttons are grayed on on the dahua interface? in blue iris you need to enable ptz.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Greyed out in the BI interface. Ill look at the PTZ controls then, thank you.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, Zoom working perfectly in BI. Dunno why Fenderman was going on about it being unusable,its very usable!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, Zoom working perfectly in BI. Dunno why Fenderman was going on about it being unusable,its very usable!
it is unusable and slow...its not meant and should not be used as a zoom...that is why there are no presets...there is no real world scenario that makes it useful...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Again, as fenderman stated, that's not what it was designed to be used for. FYI, It most likely won't hold up to frequent use.

giskard

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've purchased one of these cameras.
If I use the 12 volt DC connector, rather than POE, can you tell me if the power supply tip needs to be positive or negative? I can't find anything on polarity in any of the manuals or guides.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've purchased one of these cameras.
If I use the 12 volt DC connector, rather than POE, can you tell me if the power supply tip needs to be positive or negative? I can't find anything on polarity in any of the manuals or guides.
Positive in the centre, negative on the outside... The fact you need to run an RJ45 cable to it, its a no brainer to run it off POE.

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy, thanks for the two cameras, they have arrived and they are working great.

Last edited:

samys

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I try to block my IP cameras Ip (192.168.1.***) but I can't access them from outside my local network, I have a pia account, someone mentioned open DNS, any steps to follow, I have a Netgear nighthawk r7000 router.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi, I try to block my IP cameras Ip (192.168.1.***) but I can't access them from outside my local network, I have a pia account, someone mentioned open DNS, any steps to follow, I have a Netgear nighthawk r7000 router.
You will not be able to access your local network via the internet using your "PIA Account" you will need to setup a VPN solution (OpenVPN for example) on your home network (or where the cameras are connected to) so you can access them via a VPN client on your phone / work PC. Or you could port forward your cameras... Not a safe method.

OpenDNS is a 3rd party DNS service that can be used instead of your own ISP's DNS servers. This will not help you accessing your cameras remotely

VPN Explained

timmychans

n3wb
Reaction score
VPN Primer for Noobs

Hope that helps. @nayr explains it very well. I need to set it up too. Good luck

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd uncheck the PTZ option in the PTZ tab of BI for this camera...if you view the camera full screen in BI, it's real easy to accidentally zoom in or out which will put some wear on the camera...and, any IVS you have set up will no longer be functional until you return to the FOV you set up IVS in. Add to that, any motion detection set will be modified.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I dont use IVS because I use BI. Im happy to just record motion on its default settings, it works well enough for me.

bvo

n3wb
Reaction score
So I am looking at replacing all the cameras in our laundromat (8 indoor, 2 outdoor). We're going to pull new cat6 to replace the coax and run BI. I came upon this thread while looking for the best reasonably priced camera. I got through 20 pages of posts, gave up and skipped to the last few pages. I have 2 questions: is the IPC-HDW5231R-Z still the camera to get? and where should I buy them from for use in the US? I see @EMPIRETECANDY mentioned a lot around here. Should I start there?