Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I like pink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We hooked them up to the NVR first and yes, they were showing a name of 10.1.1.68. Then we tried hooking it up to the computer and it wouldn't find either the 192.168.1.108 or 10.1.1.68. Tried to reset and nothing.....

I don't know how to give the computer a new ip address (and as much trouble as these cameras are becoming i certainly don't want to mess up anything on my computer or my network.)

Last edited:

I like pink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
laptop doesn't find the camera using pale moon using either the 192 or the 10 ip addresses.

i downloaded an ip scanner but don't really understand how to use it? it just showed me a bunch of its

tdwilli1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You HAVE to put your computer on the same subnet as the cameras or it won't see them. There is nothing wrong with the cameras on this regard.

I like pink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, so how do I put my computer to the same subnet? I'm not tech savvy so this is all new to me..... I have no idea what i'm doing.....

I like pink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, between your ears.................;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Your NVR changed the cameras IP addresses. You have to change them back.

SD
i'm beginning to think that! haha

sooooo how do i change them back? i can't get them to show up on the computer.....

we did what we thought was a hard reset by pressing that button... that didn't work....

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to keep that button pressed for up to a minute (making sure the camera has power while you're pressing it).

When you say you tried hooking them up to the computer, how exactly did you do that? Did you plug them directly into the back of your computer? If so, how did you power them?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i'm beginning to think that! haha

sooooo how do i change them back? i can't get them to show up on the computer.....

we did what we thought was a hard reset by pressing that button... that didn't work....
A bunch of ways....

Use the Config Tool to search the IP range of 10.1.1.1 to 10.1.1.254

Change your NIC or WiFi range (temporarily) to 10.1.1.2 (or something not being used currently), then log in to camera (you need to know what its IP was changed to).

The tried and true way of a hard reset is to depress the button, apply 12V power and continue to hold the button down for at least a minute. You will then have 192.168.1.108 again.

SD

I like pink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
unfortunately we don't have a 12v power adapter (we bought these as POE to go with the lorex system.
we did do the button press while attached to the computer (and also the nvr since we were trying everything.)

we'll try that again this evening... i'll have to see what we can figure out with changing the wifi then, too....

I like pink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to keep that button pressed for up to a minute (making sure the camera has power while you're pressing it).

When you say you tried hooking them up to the computer, how exactly did you do that? Did you plug them directly into the back of your computer? If so, how did you power them?
yes... directly into the computer... assumed they power that way since they are supposed to be POE. we do not have an adapter as we bought them specifically to add to the POE lorex system.

I like pink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i even specifically asked, before ordering, if these would work directly with the costco lorex system and i was told yes... if i needed extra items (i.e. power) i wasn't told that and there is no power where we are placing them (if they ever work) which is why we have POE.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i even specifically asked, before ordering, if these would work directly with the costco lorex system and i was told yes... if i needed extra items (i.e. power) i wasn't told that and there is no power where we are placing them (if they ever work) which is why we have POE.
It sounds like your NVR has PoE network ports. These will send power across ethernet to the camera. Normal network ports on computers are not PoE. So when you plug your camera directly into your PC, your computer will NOT send power across that ethernet cable to run the camera.

You might try plugging ONE camera back into the Lorex NVR (so that the camera gets power). While it's plugged in, hold the reset button for 60 seconds and see if that resets it and if the NVR can see it again.

It's important to do this one at a time. Things do not work right if two devices on the network have the same IP address at the same time (so don't try to reset both cameras back to default at the same time, or they'll both wind up in the network with the same IP address of 192.168.1.108, which will most definitely cause problems).

Hopefully when the camera resets, the NVR will see it and give it a unique IP address, and then you can restart the same process with the second camera.

Last edited:

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They will work perfectly with your Lorex system. You went about it the wrong way, that's all.

SD

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if your nvr is poe then they would work with it. The issue is the camera has to be configured to work with it. You go into the adapter properties on the computer and instead of selecting auto find ip and dns you set it for an ip range that is the same as the camera and then you would be able to connect to the camera to change the ip address to one that will work with the nvr. The issue with that is in order to hook it to the computer you will need a poe injector. They are good to have around anyways and are not that expensive. Just invest in one. The injector is only used to power it while pluging it into your computer to configure the camera. After that your NVR will power it over poe.

I like pink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It sounds like your NVR has PoE network ports. These will send power across ethernet to the camera. Normal network ports on computers are not PoE. So when you plug your camera directly into your PC, your computer will NOT send power across that ethernet cable to run the camera.

You might try plugging ONE camera back into the Lorex NVR (so that the camera gets power). While it's plugged in, hold the reset button for 60 seconds and see if that resets it and if the NVR can see it again.

It's important to do this one at a time. Things do not work right if two devices on the network have the same IP address at the same time (so don't try to reset both cameras back to default at the same time, or they'll both wind up in the network with the same IP address of 192.168.1.108, which will most definitely cause problems).

Hopefully when the camera resets, the NVR will see it and give it a unique IP address, and then you can restart the same process with the second camera.
We did try that last night... it didn't work, but we'll try again this evening after work.

I like pink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They will work perfectly with your Lorex system. You went about it the wrong way, that's all.

SD
but.... but... but!!!!! these were men's cameras and not for women (cuz they didn't come with specific instructions and women read the instructions... haha... sorry... couldn't resist)

so what i need step by step instructions for, then, is how to unscrew them so i can get them added to my nvr....

I like pink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if your nvr is poe then they would work with it. The issue is the camera has to be configured to work with it. You go into the adapter properties on the computer and instead of selecting auto find ip and dns you set it for an ip range that is the same as the camera and then you would be able to connect to the camera to change the ip address to one that will work with the nvr. The issue with that is in order to hook it to the computer you will need a poe injector. They are good to have around anyways and are not that expensive. Just invest in one. The injector is only used to power it while pluging it into your computer to configure the camera. After that your NVR will power it over poe.
ok... so i search "poe injector" on amazon and buy what comes up? or do i need something specific?

will this work? does it include everything i need?

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PoE150S-Injector-Adapter-compliant/dp/B001PS9E5I/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1521034767&sr=1-3&keywords=poe+injector

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

I like pink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so guys.. please: pretend i'm a kindergarten (or nursery school) students with this stuff and give me step by steps cuz i'm so lost right now it's not even funny!!!!!!

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.