Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Reaction score
OK, so i have this camera installed and I can use the Dahua app to adjust the zoom but about 20 pages back in this forum it was said that Blue Iris can also adjust the zoom......I know this is not a PTZ, but if Blue Iris can, I'd like it set up properly so that it will.....

What setting do I have wrong if everything appears to be working correctly except the zoom feature?

I'm still a Newb, but have been reading this forum for hours now and did searches...... just need a wee bit of guidance....

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, so i have this camera installed and I can use the Dahua app to adjust the zoom but about 20 pages back in this forum it was said that Blue Iris can also adjust the zoom......I know this is not a PTZ, but if Blue Iris can, I'd like it set up properly so that it will.....

What setting do I have wrong if everything appears to be working correctly except the zoom feature?

I'm still a Newb, but have been reading this forum for hours now and did searches...... just need a wee bit of guidance....
Within the properties of your camera copy below. Also remember the camera isn't really meant to used to Zoom in and out like a PTZ rather set to your focal distance and forgotten.

upload_2018-3-9_12-11-15.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, @cyberwolf_uk has pointed you in the right direction, I just wanted to clarify:

In order to get the radio button for 'Network IP' and the dropdown box to select "ONVIF (OXML)" to be selectable by NOT being grayed out, just tick the checkbox at the top of the page he showed where it reads "Enable Pan/Tilt/Zoom and other controls (focus. brightness, etc.)".

I don't think the default when creating a new cam has that box checked; I didn't want to assume you'd know that in case it was not apparent.

Cam_curious

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a IPC-HDW5231RP-ZE starlight cam and the only PTZ setting that works is Armcrest/Dahua.
All of the Dahua_XXX settings for PTZ do not work. This is also true of my IPC-HDW5830RP-Z.
I just received both cameras from Andy yesterday so I assume that they have the latest firmware.

Reaction score
I have a IPC-HDW5231RP-ZE starlight cam and the only PTZ setting that works is Armcrest/Dahua.
All of the Dahua_XXX settings for PTZ do not work. This is also true of my IPC-HDW5830RP-Z.
I just received both cameras from Andy yesterday so I assume that they have the latest firmware.

Ok.....I am making progress. I had the camera listed as Dahua......changed it to onvif and now I have what feels like digital zoom not mechanical zoom with mouse wheel only.......the buttons in the ptz area still do nothing......

Cam_curious

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is the effect that I was getting, digital zoom with the mouse wheel. If the zoom buttons don't work
then you don't have optical zoom as far as I understand.

I also have a IPC-HDBW4431R-ZS that is set as "Armcrest/Dahua" that used to work with optical zoom
but does not work now. However it is mounted outside in the 32 F weather, the other cameras are
inside on my bench. The outside camera did work in much colder weather so I don't know what happened.

mcx

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok.....I am making progress. I had the camera listed as Dahua......changed it to onvif and now I have what feels like digital zoom not mechanical zoom with mouse wheel only.......the buttons in the ptz area still do nothing......
This works with my cameras:
dp.PNG

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You might also try checking in Options > User > [user account] and make sure the user has a check in the PTZ/control box.

I ended up disabling this option on all of my BI users because it was too easy (at least through the updated web interface) for folks to accidentally zoom the camera, which screws up motion detection zones. :banghead:

If I do need to change the zoom on a 5231, I use the cameras web interface.

The other thing you might try is going into the camera > Video > Configure > Find/Inspect and make sure one the last lines returned says "Has PTZ service: /onvif/ptz_service". If BI can't authenticate with the camera (it's possible for the ONVIF admin account to have a different password than the regular user admin account you use to login to the camera), it won't detect PTZ capabilities for the camera. That happened with two of my 5231s (that I got from a vendor other than Andy).

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Put in the cameras IP addresss, username and password, click Find/Inspect.
It will find the cam as Generic ONVIF.
Go to PTZ tab, click enable.
Done.

Reaction score
I finally have it working. Thanks everyone in the ipconfig tab I had to list it as a generic make. Under the ptz tab . Dahua other.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Put in the cameras IP addresss, username and password, click Find/Inspect.
It will find the cam as Generic ONVIF.
Go to PTZ tab, click enable.
Done.
This ^^^^ works for 99% of folks.

For folks that might not be aware, there are two totally separate 'admin' accounts on the camera.

This one (in red) is the account that everyone uses when they log into the webUI (or via an app, like smartPSS).

user.png

This one (in green) is a completely different account, and it's used to access the camera via ONVIF.

onvif.png

Blue Iris needs the password for the 'ONVIF' admin account in order to properly Find/Inspect a camera (and configure the camera within Blue Iris).

For 99% of folks, the two separate admin accounts have the exact same password... so even if they type the password for the 'webUI' admin account into Blue Iris, it's still going to work.

But .... for the 1% of folks whose cameras got somehow borked to where the webUI 'admin' account has a different password than the 'ONVIF' admin account, ... if you put your 'webUI' admin password into Blue Iris, BI will fail to to connect to your camera using ONVIF.

When BI fails to properly connect using ONVIF, your camera will return DIFFERENT information to BI (during Find/Inspect), and BI will configure the camera *differently*, and that camera will not act like a normal 5231 in BI.

In that case, it's not as simple as going into the PTZ tab and clicking enable. I mean, you can do that, but PTZ won't work.

When BI properly connects to your camera via ONVIF, this is what the 5231 tells it:
Opening 192.168.1.20 port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
2018-03-09T15:30:50.000Z
Requesting device information...
Manufacturer: Dahua
Model: IPC-HDW5231R-Z
FirmwareVersion: 2.460.Dahua 00.7.R, build: 2017-03-06
GetCapabilities...
Querying services
Has Imaging services: /onvif/imaging_service
Has media services: /onvif/media_service
Has RTP_RTSP_TCP, requesting profiles
first profile is MediaProfile000
first source is 000
requesting URI for profile MediaProfile000
RTSP URI: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
Has Event services: /onvif/event_service
RelayOutputs: 0
InputConnectors: 0
Has Device IO services: /onvif/deviceIO_service
AudioOutputs: 0
Has PTZ service: /onvif/ptz_service
Done
When BI can't connect via ONVIF, this is what the camera returns to it:
Opening 192.168.1.20 port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
2018-03-09T15:31:39.000Z
Requesting device information...
Bad response
GetCapabilities...
Querying services
Has Imaging services: /onvif/imaging_service
Has media services: /onvif/media_service
Has RTP_RTSP_TCP, requesting profiles
Has Event services: /onvif/event_service
RelayOutputs: 0
InputConnectors: 0
Has Device IO services: /onvif/deviceIO_service
AudioOutputs: 0
Has PTZ service: /onvif/ptz_service
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?
RTSP port open?
RTSP port detected!
Done

Last edited:

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just received some 5231's and 4231's from Andy...problem though - none of the default login credentials are working though. What *should* they be?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just received some 5231's and 4231's from Andy...problem though - none of the default login credentials are working though. What *should* they be?
Default IP: 192.168.1.108
user: admin
pass: admin
It should prompt you to change the password firsttime you login.
If not working in Webgui, try the configtool.

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay...user error. :facepalm:
I just HAPPENED to be working with the *1* camera that I had previously partially setup (forgot about it)....which included assigning my own custom password.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@ndstate, I think Andy uploaded 2.622.0000000.18.R, Build Date: 2017-11-10 on one of the thread around here?

I initially had a problem with the 16.R one you linked to.. specifically, the camera wouldn't hold the FPS. I'd have it set to 15, and after a day or two, Blue Iris would show it was receiving 20 FPS from the camera. Andy mentioned that it's important to reset the camera settings to default after a firmware upgrade -- something I had never done. So I backed up the camera's config, reset to default, and restored the config, and no problems after that.

I like pink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought two of the 5231R-ZE's from andy to add to my Costco 4K system. I can't figure out how to add them to my system!? I tried downloading the dahua config tool for mac but it won't open. I'm totally LOST!

broke out the old windows laptop and got the config tool downloaded on there, but it still won't see either camera. we tried typing in the IP into the browser (safari and chrome on my mac and IE on the PC) and it wouldn't see the camera. tried to ping the IP and it wouldn't connect...

right now i'm just really sorry i spent my money on these cameras......

Last edited:

NetHunter

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought two of the 5231R-ZE's from andy to add to my Costco 4K system. I can't figure out how to add them to my system!? I tried downloading the dahua config tool for mac but it won't open. I'm totally LOST!

broke out the old windows laptop and got the config tool downloaded on there, but it still won't see either camera. we tried typing in the IP into the browser (safari and chrome on my mac and IE on the PC) and it wouldn't see the camera. tried to ping the IP and it wouldn't connect...

right now i'm just really sorry i spent my money on these cameras......
Download pale moon 32bit browser. Make sure your network is on 192.168.1.1 network. Do each camera seperate and goto there main page 192.168.1.108 login and change your setting and ip addresses. If all fails pm me and i will gladly take them off your hands

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Download pale moon 32bit browser. Make sure your network is on 192.168.0.1 network. Do each camera seperate and goto there main page 192.168.0.108 login and change your setting and ip addresses. If all fails pm me and i will gladly take them off your hands
Default IP on the cameras is 192.168.1.108 (not zero). You need to give your computer an ip address between 192.168.1.2 & 192.168.1.254 to connect to the cameras from your computer.

It sounds like you're trying to connect the cameras to an NVR with PoE? In that case you won't be able to directly connect to the cameras through the NVR. Connect using your computer to adjust some settings then connect them to the NVR 1 at a time.

The NVR may automatically change the camera's IP address when you connect it. In that case you can try putting your computer in a 10. subnet (I forget exactly what they use, probably 10.1.1.1), other IP scanners, the arp command, or a Bonjour scanner to find the camera's IP address.

Last edited: