Dahua Ultra Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW8232E-Z)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Gain Priority: 50% w/SSA On
Galileo NVR----2017-01-10-19-35-53.jpg

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not that you don't look cool, but why do we see two of you in that shot? the shadow is left and slightly up. First image much more prevalent than the second.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@bug99, thats a glare reflection from the car's reflectors..

Code:
ffmpeg -f lavfi -i anullsrc -rtsp_transport tcp -i 'rtsp://username:pass@192.168.42.19:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=12&subtype=2'  \
-tune zerolatency -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt + -c:v copy -c:a aac  -strict experimental  -f flv rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
better work in linux, im running it on a Raspberry Pi

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
@bug99, thats a glare reflection from the car's reflectors..

Code:
ffmpeg -f lavfi -i anullsrc -rtsp_transport tcp -i 'rtsp://username:pass@192.168.42.19:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=12&subtype=2'  \
-tune zerolatency -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt + -c:v copy -c:a aac  -strict experimental  -f flv rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
better work in linux, im running it on a Raspberry Pi
IT'S ALIVE

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
turned the onboard IR off, let it roll w/external IR Cannon.. with as sensitive as this thing is I was getting alot of dust/sprites from the onboard IR so this cleans it up very well and will make using tripwire on this camera much more reliable.

Galileo NVR----2017-01-10-23-42-01.jpg
Galileo NVR----2017-01-11-00-03-37.jpg

the reflector on the car also dont flare up the lens, since this monitors parking I always intended on using external illumination.. Pulling ~18.4W right now so this is a bit more IR than is built in.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
turned the onboard IR off, let it roll w/external IR Cannon.. with as sensitive as this thing is I was getting alot of dust/sprites from the onboard IR so this cleans it up very well and will make using tripwire on this camera much more reliable.

View attachment 13919
View attachment 13920

the reflector on the car also dont flare up the lens, since this monitors parking I always intended on using external illumination.. Pulling ~18.4W right now so this is a bit more IR than is built in.
I'm really liking the use of external IR and just killing the internal, I shall need to pick up an IR cannon to play with. :D

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Internal IR sucks. Once you turn it off and have enough external light you'll hate anything with internal IR especially if you rely on motion alerts.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Internal IR sucks. Once you turn it off and have enough external light you'll hate anything with internal IR especially if you rely on motion alerts.
I was going to look into getting one of those sealevel boxes but if I can get the software motion detection working well enough I won't worry about it lol.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When considering external IR, you have freedom of many factors. How does changing the angle of incidence of the light to the angle of the camera affect things? Obviously the built in case they are coincident angles, so you get a lot more shinny objects. I would think the larger the angle between the two the lower the light value (something like 2x the sine of the angle). Have you played with this before? Is there some discussions on the topic?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It helps alot with reflectors to have some distance between camera and light: Retroreflector - Wikipedia now the further away the reflector the further away your light source needs to be.. but if your watching a parking area full of reflectors it can be a very nice improvement.

you dont need much separation to kill out other reflective objects, less than retro-reflectors.. spider webs, rain, snow, dust, fog, insects just vanish and become unseen once again.

you also get depth data on your video, onboard IR it flattens the image.. without any shadows alot of detail like the length of noses and stuff is lost..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it shows where the most activity is; its most usefull for retail stores as it lets you know how people are flowing down isles and help you decide where to place products for best results.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
it shows where the most activity is; its most usefull for retail stores as it lets you know how people are flowing down isles and help you decide where to place products for best results.
I figured it had to be something like that.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's some nice screen caps of SmartPSS showing it going against a few non starlight 2MP Dahuas and a 4MP Dahua

Screenshot 2017-01-11 18.31.52.png Screenshot 2017-01-11 17.24.53.png

eventually I intend on replacing the trailer cam with another Ultra Starlight, as I want a over view of road/foot traffic and ID of anyone in the yard heading for the trailer/gate..

the font door and back yard PTZ's will be replaced with 1/2.8" Starlight PTZ's, starting with the front door next.

Last edited: