DMSS App: Motion Events don’t always display the Thumbnail

Dave_17

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an FYI : There is another App 'Amcrest View Pro 2' that also works well with Dahau NVRs /cameras and the notifications including motion video thumbnails work on this one too. The looks and feels similar to the DMSS app.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
trying to use the app, any app, to make camera and nvr settings will almost always result in shit not working as expected.

Login to the actual NVR interface and set recording schedules there. Login to the actual camera GUI and make camera settings there.

Dave_17

n3wb
Reaction score
trying to use the app, any app, to make camera and nvr settings will almost always result in shit not working as expected.

Login to the actual NVR interface and set recording schedules there. Login to the actual camera GUI and make camera settings there.
Thanks, although can you confirm if yours is working just fine in regarding to thumbnails always displaying correctly for motion video events on the DMSS app. I have not found anyone that says it works correctly yet.. I would welcome that new and a workable solution :) Thanks

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Nothing in this world works perfectly every time. Least of all $200 security cameras and Free Apps. (See: Boeing >Multi Billion $ Spaceships)

That said, I rate my Dahua cameras, NVR and DMSS app at about 95%+ (if you dont buy the absolute cheapest models)
Each version of an App, including DMSS, potentially introduces bugs. The version I'm currently running is: 1.99.830

Often the connection issues between your phone, carrier, and the Dahua P2P servers are a likely trouble point.
Other times there may be a bottleneck at the P2P servers themselves, or even a server down (it happens)
Your location, which Dahua P2P server you connect to etc, can be a problem point like all cloud servers.
Or sometimes config problems on the camera/NVR

(I think its a weird coincidence so many of these issue are popping up with the introduction of latest AI NVRs that require more thought and care into possible setting conflicts between the NVR and camera, but...)

Are you talking about these thumbnails? Yes mine work as expected
DMSS1.jpg DMSS2.jpg DMSS3.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I know there have been P2P issues with European servers in recent weeks as Dahua has taken offline older unsecure models from working with P2P

@steve1225 and other Europe based members have more/better info on this

Dave_17

n3wb
Reaction score
Nothing in this world works perfectly every time. Least of all $200 security cameras and Free Apps. (See: Boeing >Multi Billion $ Spaceships)

That said, I rate my Dahua cameras, NVR and DMSS app at about 95%+ (if you dont buy the absolute cheapest models)
Each version of an App, including DMSS, potentially introduces bugs. The version I'm currently running is: 1.99.830

Often the connection issues between your phone, carrier, and the Dahua P2P servers are a likely trouble point.
Other times there may be a bottleneck at the P2P servers themselves, or even a server down (it happens)
Your location, which Dahua P2P server you connect to etc, can be a problem point like all cloud servers.
Or sometimes config problems on the camera/NVR

(I think its a weird coincidence so many of these issue are popping up with the introduction of latest AI NVRs that require more thought and care into possible setting conflicts between the NVR and camera, but...)

Are you talking about these thumbnails? Yes mine work as expected
View attachment 203985 View attachment 203984 View attachment 203983
THANKS - Very useful and yes, I am talking about these Thumbnails. Mine work ad-hoc throughout the day, and oddly enough (sounds crazy), but they work better in the evening, early hours, but the schedule is all fine... and on the odd occasion they work for periods throughout the day. This is why I started using third-party app connected directly to the NVR using NVR accounts (removing the reliance on Dahau software) and thumbnails on these apps work, but I guess there is less connectivity issues to deal with. I prefer the DMSS app, but just wish the thumbnails worked more consistently. Motion Videos without thumbnails is a little pointless as you have to scan through them all to see anything of interest, whereas a thumbnail can help draw your attention of course. hence my reason for finding an alternative app. For the most part, I am very happy with my set-up: I have 5 cameras [DH-IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV] & NVR: NVR4108HS-8P-EI-6TB

Dave_17

n3wb
Reaction score
THANKS - Very useful and yes, I am talking about these Thumbnails. Mine work ad-hoc throughout the day, and oddly enough (sounds crazy), but they work better in the evening, early hours, but the schedule is all fine... and on the odd occasion they work for periods throughout the day. This is why I started using third-party app connected directly to the NVR using NVR accounts (removing the reliance on Dahau software) and thumbnails on these apps work, but I guess there is less connectivity issues to deal with. I prefer the DMSS app, but just wish the thumbnails worked more consistently. Motion Videos without thumbnails is a little pointless as you have to scan through them all to see anything of interest, whereas a thumbnail can help draw your attention of course. hence my reason for finding an alternative app. For the most part, I am very happy with my set-up: I have 5 cameras [DH-IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV] & NVR: NVR4108HS-8P-EI-6TB
Looks like your's work , just wish mine did well, consistency that is

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Comparing local LAN IP connected to P2P over the Internet Cloud connected is apples and oranges.
Im sure the DMSS app will work just as well local LAN connected

Dave_17

n3wb
Reaction score
Comparing local LAN IP connected to P2P over the Internet Cloud connected is apples and oranges.
Im sure the DMSS app will work just as well local LAN connected
shame that's not an option - because other apps work just fine, so it would be nice to see DMSS app introduce local connection.. My third-party app works fine remotely as well , but again its a direct connection with the exception of DNS / outside interference of course, but still works fine.. just need to find a slightly better third-party version until its sorted... its too random for liking right now !!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Um, my DMSS app has the choice to connect to the NVR via IP…. Are you saying yours doesn’t? That’s how you enable a local LAN connection

And your “other app” connects remotely either through a cloud server or you are port forwarding which is insecure

Dave_17

n3wb
Reaction score
Um, my DMSS app has the choice to connect to the NVR via IP…. Are you saying yours doesn’t?
Um, my DMSS app has the choice to connect to the NVR via IP…. Are you saying yours doesn’t?
Correct, I can't seem to connect via IP on the DMSS app, but can with some of there order versions which do show the thumbnail, but very small LOL... I wonder if it's a regional thing.. in regards to app version capabilities.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No I think it’s a user issue.

I don’t know how your local network is configured but I can assure you connecting via local IP to a LAN works just fine in DMSS.

Dave_17

n3wb
Reaction score
No I think it’s a user issue.

I don’t know how your local network is configured but I can assure you connecting via local IP to a LAN works just fine in DMSS.
I will re-check once home, but as said all the other older apps work just fine, but they have very small thumbnail icons, which means you may as well not have them at ALL :) .. but I recall this was not an option when I initially set this up ,and the engineer who installed my cameras for me, agreed at the time.. and said its not available on that version... which is very odd ... so will look again. thanks

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I will re-check once home, but as said all the other older apps work just fine, but they have very small thumbnail icons, which means you may as well not have them at ALL :) .. but I recall this was not an option when I initially set this up ,and the engineer who installed my cameras for me, agreed at the time.. and said its not available on that version... which is very odd ... so will look again. thanks
what version of DMSS do you have?
Your engineer is full of shit if he says you can’t connect your NVR via local LAN Ip

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The version I'm currently running is: 1.99.830 I know it works fine

There is a newer version in the app store: 1.99.831, I dont know about it

Pro Tip:
If your app works, DOnt update it automatically. Wait for 3-4 months and see if others have problems. App updating seems to be some kind of competition with many.
If it aint broke dont fix it.

jamesym90

n3wb
Reaction score
The version I'm currently running is: 1.99.830 I know it works fine

There is a newer version in the app store: 1.99.831, I dont know about it

Pro Tip:
If your app works, DOnt update it automatically. Wait for 3-4 months and see if others have problems. App updating seems to be some kind of competition with many.
If it aint broke dont fix it.
Really sorry about this, I new to this and just got the engineer to sort the camera set up correctly! Well I thought it was. How do I find what version I have? This may sound silly but I haven’t had a wiz about the app. Can you screen shot me it please? And if I screen shot my recording can you tell me the if this is correct please? Like I said before it doesn’t seem to pick up at certain times but it’s been pinging off all day. You seem like you’re an expert.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A common theme you have said is it seems to work better at night.

As @bigredfish said, network (yours and internet) play a big role.

I would expect it to be more reliable at night as not as much is usually going on with these systems.

These things don't buffer, so if your network or P2P servers are bogged down, it won't wait for the packets to resend and will push out the push without the photo.

Better to be notified sooner something going on even without a photo than to get it an hour later with the photo after your stuff was stolen.

If you have taken the time to dial your system in, then any alert you would get would be important.

I know it is react time if I get an alert.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Really sorry about this, I new to this and just got the engineer to sort the camera set up correctly! Well I thought it was. How do I find what version I have? This may sound silly but I haven’t had a wiz about the app. Can you screen shot me it please? And if I screen shot my recording can you tell me the if this is correct please? Like I said before it doesn’t seem to pick up at certain times but it’s been pinging off all day. You seem like you’re an expert.
I'm far from an expert so lets get that out of the way ;) But i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once (maybe to old of humor for some)

I cant screenshot everything to teach you how to use the app. It would take many hours and though I'm retired you couldn't afford me.

I will say based on your posts that the problem isn't likely your App.
Working fine during day and not so good at night tells me your event rules/triggers (MD or IVS or SMD) are not set up well/correctly for nighttime and low light.
If it works even sometimes at night, its not typically an APP or recording schedule problem.

Version - in order
dmssversion3.jpg dmssversion2.jpg dmssversion1.jpg

There's hours of video available. You;ll need to roll up your sleeves and get dirty like the rest of us. Here's two to get you started

Last edited: