DS-2CD2335FWD-I - Hikvision Ultra Low Light 3M camera

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Darn. I feel like I've made a mistake jumping into Hikvision before knowing what my needs are.
There is nothing wrong with the hikvision...you can do much worse than a hikvsion low light camera.....motorized varifocal has only recently become affordable....

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just a newbie question. Would having the motorized lens in the Dahua model make a huge difference? I have never had a camera with a motorized lens but have all Hikvision cameras. Not real interested in switching them all out. Just wondering how big of an advantage it is.
It's a definite advantage as it also has electronic focus- so you should never have the issue a couple of us had with out of focus images on the 2335's. As for Dahua vs Hikvision, if you've got a Hikvision NVR the Hikvision cameras will support a lot of functions the Dahua won't. So it depends a lot on what set up you've already got.

barnettgs

n3wb
Reaction score
In case you all were wondering why Hikvision 3MP cams with 1/3" sensor size cameras (apart from DS-2CD2335FWD-I which has 1/2.8" sensor) have been petty poor on night vision, the 1/3" sensor Hikvision was using, isn't great as I have just found out.

Any other Hikvision cameras with slightly bigger sensor of 1/2.8" (either 2 or 4 MP) are great.

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In case you all were wondering why Hikvision 3MP cams with 1/3" sensor size cameras (apart from DS-2CD2335FWD-I which has 1/2.8" sensor) have been petty poor on night vision, the 1/3" sensor Hikvision was using, isn't great as I have just found out.

Any other Hikvision cameras with slightly bigger sensor of 1/2.8" (either 2 or 4 MP) are great.
Right now, the best you can in Hikvision is the 3MP low-light version. However I've tried every possible fixed lens Hikvision and never quite got the exact coverage I've wanted without compromising night vision.

The 2335 is amazing, only problem for me is I needed somewhere between a 6mm and 2.6mm, I'll mull over buying the vari-focal low light once Mark and others post up pics and a review

Reaction score
Right now, the best you can in Hikvision is the 3MP low-light version. However I've tried every possible fixed lens Hikvision and never quite got the exact coverage I've wanted without compromising night vision.

The 2335 is amazing, only problem for me is I needed somewhere between a 6mm and 2.6mm, I'll mull over buying the vari-focal low light once Mark and others post up pics and a review
I've been setting up the latest home surveillance system at my home and I'm almost done covering my exterior zones. All I need to cover now are the two sides of my home. For the other zones, I purchased six 2342s in varying FOVs and am very happy with what I have accomplished. The only real disappointment I've experienced is in the back yard. The 2342 performs great in the daytime, but the nighttime video is horrible! It's a 2.8mm, so there's a very pronounced IR hotspot in the middle of the view and grainy imagery past that, no matter what I do with the camera's settings. Based upon your recommendation and what I've been reading/seeing on the net, I've just ordered the two cameras (DS-2CD2335FWD-I) I still need to cover the sides of the house in 12mm. If they work as well as I'm hoping they do at night, I will order another 2335FWD for the back yard in 2.8mm and sell that 2342.

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 2335's are unbelievably good at night compared to the 'useless' 2342. I removed my 2342's that needed recording at night with the 2335. Best move I made.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
With the price of the 1/2.8 sensors that is all I buy. I have been slowly upgrading all my cameras to these sensors. They are much, much better at night.

Reaction score
With the price of the 1/2.8 sensors that is all I buy. I have been slowly upgrading all my cameras to these sensors. They are much, much better at night.
I have semi-decent lighting in most of the the other outdoor zones I'm covering, but I will assess those zones with lower nighttime lighting and upgrade, accordingly. Thank you for the heads-up!

The 2335's are unbelievably good at night compared to the 'useless' 2342. I removed my 2342's that needed recording at night with the 2335. Best move I made.
I agree that the nighttime recording with the 2342s in complete darkness is useless. I just can't believe how unusable any recorded video event segments actually are. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the 2335s. Thank you for your reassurance!

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just an update from an earlier post in regards to me not getting Hik-Connect to work with on my 2335's. Got them to work after reading the user manual in its box.

Anyway the 2335 aren't like the 2342 etc. The verification code is printed on the side of the 2342 but for the 2335's, you have to log into the camera, enable Hik-Connect and create a verification code.

All working and sometimes it's worth reading the manual.

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How much definition do you lose from 4mp to 3mp?

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
During the day the 4MP is better. You notice the difference when you need to read a car plate number. The higher the MP, the easier it is to read it. My cams are positioned so they are easy read even for 2MP cams. I can afford to use a 3MP if it means I get a superior image in low level night.

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
During the day the 4MP is better. You notice the difference when you need to read a car plate number. The higher the MP, the easier it is to read it. My cams are positioned so they are easy read even for 2MP cams. I can afford to use a 3MP if it means I get a superior image in low level night.
Thanks! I am running all 4mp cams except for outdoors, which I went with 8mp mini bullets. I'm not completely thrilled with what I have so far. I'm trying to decide on wether or not to switch over to the 3mp ultra low lights or move up to all 8mp. My biggest downfall is the 2.8mm lenses I've chosen I think. I would be thrilled with a Varifocal version but there doesnt seem to be any priced like the Dahua 2mp starlights. I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out what to do.

Last edited:

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks! I am running all 4mp cams except for outdoors, which I went with 8mp mini bullets. I'm not completely thrilled with what I have so far. I'm trying to decide on wether or not to switch over to the 3mp ultra low lights or move up to all 8mp. My biggest downfall is the 2.8mm lenses I've chosen I think. I would be thrilled with a Varifocal version but there doesnt seem to be any priced like the Dahua 2mp starlights. I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out what to do.
Have a look back on the earlier pages in this thread. I've posted a few examples of the 2335 3MP vs 2342 4MP and also the Dahua 5231R-Z varifocal. Both day and night. IMHO the 2342 4MP is a lot sharper during the day.

You'll need to make a choice on what you value more - better day definition vs low light capability.

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is no doubt some of the 4K cams out now like the 2385 look fantastic during the day and even at night they look great thanks to it being a low level light can also.

Only downside I have with these higher mp cams is realtime watching is so slow and even some of the playback isn't great viewing. It's moving in slow motion which puts me off them.

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is no doubt some of the 4K cams out now like the 2385 look fantastic during the day and even at night they look great thanks to it being a low level light can also.

Only downside I have with these higher mp cams is realtime watching is so slow and even some of the playback isn't great viewing. It's moving in slow motion which puts me off them.
I struggle to get a smooth stream with my current 3MP cams. I helped fit a 4K 2385 the other week for a friend, the 4K streaming outside of Wi-Fi was like watching an early 1980's edition of Crime Stoppers.

Have you tried using a sub-stream? That should help (at the loss of quality) -I assume the recording to NVR is smooth as it is localised?

Bottom line is, do you value your recording at 4K or the live streams being smooth? If recording, then 2385, if smoothness in day and night, 2335 or the new ULL Low light with vari-focus

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Are all your cameras running directly via cat cable to the nvr ?
I don't have any problems with mine so far is your nvr ok to run x amount of 8mp cameras and all your switch gear if any are gigabit capable

Windie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys. Does the smaller 1/2.5 sensor on the 2385 mean its better at night than the 1/2.8 sensor on the 2335?

Im looking to put a 6mm turret on the gate pillar, viewing one side of the street and the front gate. So I would like good night performance. I think even with the 2335 I should get good detail of the street. I have a 4mm 2342 covering from above but its a higher overview. I would like a more detailed focused 6mm to cover the front gate area and street. thanks

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
They make a variable zoom turret too the ds-2cdh85 fwd-izs that has a verible zoom lens 2.8-12mm

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are all your cameras running directly via cat cable to the nvr ?
I don't have any problems with mine so far is your nvr ok to run x amount of 8mp cameras and all your switch gear if any are gigabit capable
My Hik 4k NVR can get maxxed out if I'm running the four older 2342 4Mp (H264) cameras as well as the three 2335 (H265) and single Dahua 5231 (H265). It's got an input limit of 80Mb/s - so shared equally it allows 10Mb/s per camera.