DS-2CD2335FWD-I - Hikvision Ultra Low Light 3M camera

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey guys. Does the smaller 1/2.5 sensor on the 2385 mean its better at night than the 1/2.8 sensor on the 2335?
The 8Mp 2385 has worse low light performance - you can see that by comparing the specs on Hikvision's website Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd. vs Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.

For better low light performance you want a larger sensor area allocated to each pixel (to collect more light.) You're comparing 1/2.8" with 3Mp to 1/2.5" with 8Mp.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
One more thing.

"Bear in mind that the sensor size inside the camera has an effect on FOV too. The larger the sensor, the wider the field of view… so a 1/2.5” sensor would 'see' more than a 1/3”."

Windie

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. Good info to know. I think the 2335 would be the way to go as I would like better night time vision. Thanks

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you're not "tied" to Hikvision gear (eg. own a Hikvision NVR) the Dahua 5231R-Z would be worth a look.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a hikvision nvr, 7608ni.
Dahua cameras support ONVIF, so they should work with a Hik NVR. The caveat being that Motion Detection is the only trigger you can use to kick off "event recording". The Dahua's smarter IVS (tripwire, intrusion detection, etc) doesn't work over ONVIF. :(

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dahua cameras support ONVIF, so they should work with a Hik NVR. The caveat being that Motion Detection is the only trigger you can use to kick off "event recording". The Dahua's smarter IVS (tripwire, intrusion detection, etc) doesn't work over ONVIF. :(
Yes, my Dahua 5231 works via ONVIF. I've got a 7608NI-I2/8P.

Some of the functions I find useful (that are supported by the Hik cameras) won't work with the Dahua via ONVIF eg. playback using the Smart feature to filter motion events doesn't work. I can get a list of all motion events it recorded but then have to play them back individually (there might be a simpler way I don't know about?) With the Smart function I get green markers on a time line for each camera and the NVR will play them all back sequentially. That works for all my Hik cameras but the Dahua doesn't register any Smart events.

That's the only thing that puts me off buying more Dahua cameras. It's a pity they aren't more compatible as they certainly offer better value for your money.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I forgot about this thread. I received the 2CD2H25FWD-IZS camera. It mounts a little different than the other Hikvision cameras I have. IMHO I found a mounting flaw. There is a tab on the mounting plate that the camera cord hangs on to help with the installation of the camera. Well in my case this tab was right in the way of the cat 6 cable. I had to break the tab off. The camera fits on the mounting plate and you have to turn the camera a few degrees and then screw in the set screw to hold it in place. The "tab" was hitting the cable and I could not turn the camera enough for the set screw to engage.

As to the camera itself I am very happy with the optics. It is better than I thought it would be. I will try and take a picture tonight.
Will post a few photos tonight it's a lot bigger and has a very unique plug seal and the bottom mount is like a ptz ring
@Parley and @marku2 , how did the varifocal versions DS-2CD2H35FWD-IZS / DS-2CD2H25FWD-IZS work out? Are the optics sharper than the fixed length 2335's?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I would say the optics are about the same. Nice thing about the vara-focal is I can dial in the exact picture I want for the area I want the camera to cover.

Windie

n3wb
Reaction score
the Dahua 5231R-Z does look good. However yes im after more functionality like line crossing etc. Want to see how facial recognition works with the 2335/2385, that could be handy in some situations.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
the Dahua 5231R-Z does look good. However yes im after more functionality like line crossing etc. Want to see how facial recognition works with the 2335/2385, that could be handy in some situations.
The camera does not support facial recognition...it has "face detection" a gimmick and does not work reliably...

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
@Parley and @marku2 , how did the varifocal versions DS-2CD2H35FWD-IZS / DS-2CD2H25FWD-IZS work out? Are the optics sharper than the fixed length 2335's?
I fired it up today I posted a few pictures under the 2385 thread I'm really happy with it the only thing I have to compare it's its little brother the fixed 8mp one day I might be able to afford an 8mp ptz But as I said in my post there's probably better cameras out there but I'm a happy hikvision consumer from there covet ATM camera to this 8 mp 2.8-12mm turret I steered my father onto dahua for there starlight cameras both brands I feel are good but the starlights win after dark but with a few different cameras in the line up I cover most problems one has over the other it's a fun hobby but don't take my review of a camera as gospel I'm far from that I just love to learn more and this forum gives me many answers from all around the world

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would say the optics are about the same. Nice thing about the vara-focal is I can dial in the exact picture I want for the area I want the camera to cover.
Does the DS-2CD2H35FWD-IZS have built in IR at all? The specs mention IR in relation to the sensitivity to light, but nothing else?

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I ordered one of these yesterday and the wrong camera has turned up - they've sent a 5Mp DS-2CD2355FWD-I instead.

I've just gotten off the phone and they reckon they aren't made any more which seems bizarre - ADI Distribution told them this. I'm wondering if it's more like there's no stock of the 3Mp in that distributor.

I was also told the 5Mp was a more expensive model which seems bizarre seeing as most places have it the other way around and the 5Mp is the cheaper option as the 3Mp is the ultra low light option.

The first time I ever bought a locally sourced camera instead of buying from Aliexpress and the local supplier tried to pull my pants down :D

I think someone is telling fibs somewhere :)

Last edited:

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are actually more expensive than the 2335 going by my supplier. Daylight would be a lot better than the 2335 but poor in low light conditions.

Depends on your cameras purpose?

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They are actually more expensive than the 2335 going by my supplier. Daylight would be a lot better than the 2335 but poor in low light conditions.

Depends on your cameras purpose?
It's replacing an older DS-2CD2332 camera.

The point was for the better night performance so it's being collected tomorrow - I was planning on replacing it with a Dahua ipc-hdw5231r-z but the Hikvision mount is in place already and the DS-2CD2335FWD-I is a straight swap so an easy win.

I've got to admit I went off the pricing from www.use-ip.co.uk who have the 3Mp at £160.80 and the 5Mp at £125.40 but eBay does seem the other way around.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Perhaps they're no longer selling the 2335 in the UK? They're not available in Australia from genuine Hikvision dealers.

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The uk only started selling them this past month or two and I notice all the usual stores have them now in stock. Still available but 4mm has huge stock.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure to be fair - some sites are showing as having stock but they may potentially all be drop shipping from the same distributor?

I'll probably just order from China now.

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Drop them a message. If they have them they will tell you. A friend of mine just took delivery of 2335's from a uk source next day delivery of a guy on eBay at an excellent price.