DS-2CD2335FWD-I - Hikvision Ultra Low Light 3M camera

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So after you checked these new 3MP Low-Light cameras,
You recommend on DS-2CD2335FWD-I model ?

Regards.
The only point to note is the focus issues experienced by a couple of people. Otherwise, IMHO they're easily on par with the Dahua Starlights (I've also got a 2MP IPC-HDW5231R-Z Starlight)- again noting the Starlights are available with built in microphones and varifocal/ zoom for not much more than a fixed lens 2335. I'm swaying more towards the Hik cameras as I've got a Hik NVR and the 2335 camera lets me use playback functions that I can't access with the Dahua via ONVIF. The microphone on the Dahua is handy so I'm glad I've got that one camera with the mic (plus the varifocal means you get a lot more versatility.)

@triumph202 On another thread you mentioned that the 2342 clarity is better than the 2335 camera. You posted only one daylight picture of the 2335 but not of the 2342. Could you post a daylight comparison between the 2342 and the 2335? I have the 2342 but unfortunately it is no longer available and I am forced to choose between the 2335 (3MPixel ultra low light) and the 2355 (5Mpixel, non low light). Your picture of your garden with 2335 is very clear (especially the brown gravel).
@aster1x , I've decided to replace another 4MP 2342 with a 2335 (both 4mm.) Once the new 2335 arrives I'll be able to do before/ after captures.

Last edited:

Denali804

n3wb
Reaction score
Can someone give me the measurement across the base of the low light cams? I want to see if I can use mounts I already have for my 4mp domes. Hiks site has two different measurements for these cams.

Thanks

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can someone give me the measurement across the base of the low light cams? I want to see if I can use mounts I already have for my 4mp domes. Hiks site has two different measurements for these cams.

Thanks
I'm using the same mount as I'm using for my old DS-2CD2342WD-I camera. The mount should be the DS-1208ZJ-M.

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
think there are different mounts (Turret vs Domes), what are the model number of the mount you have?, i'll check for you to see if they fit ?

Dimensions: | Camera: Φ 111 × 82.4 mm (Φ 4.4″ × 3.2″)

Last edited:

Denali804

n3wb
Reaction score
think there are different mounts (Turret vs Domes), what are the model number of the mount you have?, i'll check for you to see if they fit ?

Dimensions: | Camera: Φ 111 × 82.4 mm (Φ 4.4″ × 3.2″)

Thanks,

The mounts i have have CB110 listed on the box. I have seen the dimensions you posted online, but I have also seen 127 or 130mm listed online as well.

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks,

The mounts i have have CB110 listed on the box. I have seen the dimensions you posted online, but I have also seen 127 or 130mm listed online as well.
that dose not seem to be a Hikvision part number.

Talos77

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the mount required to attach the camera to the underside of the eaves (the soffit?) Or can I just attach the camera direct to the house there?

My cameras are on their way from China ATM but I didn't realise I might also need a mount...

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the mount required to attach the camera to the underside of the eaves (the soffit?) Or can I just attach the camera direct to the house there?

My cameras are on their way from China ATM but I didn't realise I might also need a mount...

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
Depends, if you can take the cable directly through the eaves, you can mount the camera flat against them. But you'll need to check that the eaves are strong enough with or without the mount.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@triumph202 On another thread you mentioned that the 2342 clarity is better than the 2335 camera. You posted only one daylight picture of the 2335 but not of the 2342. Could you post a daylight comparison between the 2342 and the 2335? I have the 2342 but unfortunately it is no longer available and I am forced to choose between the 2335 (3MPixel ultra low light) and the 2355 (5Mpixel, non low light). Your picture of your garden with 2335 is very clear (especially the brown gravel).
@aster1x , here you go. Full captures in the native resolution from a 2MP 4mm DS-2CD2335FWD-I ultra low light and a 4MP 4mm DS-2CD2342WD-I . Both were captured as full resolution BMPs via the camera GUI, then saved as jpegs via Paint (the only editing is covering the vehicle number plate.) All camera settings were as close to identical as I could get them.

You'll need to view both at full size, but once you start comparing scenery (like the bricks on the garage pillars, details on the car and various shrubs) you'll see what I mean. At night, the 2335 will kill the 2342, it's not even a close contest. I can leave the 2335's on "auto" Day/Night Schedule with the Sensitivity at "7 "and they'll stay in colour (day) mode- that's with three 10 Watt LED floodlights lighting the front garden/ car.

The 2342 goes straight into night mode with IR, even with the flood lights. With the IR, it does a poor job of displaying much detail at the front of the car due to IR reflections off the rear 1/4 panel. (I've had a lot better success with 2342's and their in built IR in other areas, this is just a bad location/ situation.)

Edit: I ordered the latest 2335 from Chinese Wholesale Security - the same place as @MrRalphMan used. It arrived exactly 7 days from me placing the order. There was zero communication, apart from the shipment notification by AliExpress about three days into the order. It was a classic case of no news being good news!

Last edited:

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@aster1x , here you go. .......
Thank you for your images. One correction, the 2CD2335 is 3Mpixels and not 2Mpixels as you mention at your post. I got as well a 2CD2335-2.8mm and a 2CD2342-4mm. I agree with you regarding the night vision quality. The 2335 remained in day mode for an additional 10 minutes longer than the 2342. However the image quality is still not adequate for face recognition. In other words, as you said about your 30W floodlights, the 2335 requires lower additional lumens for the same image quality with the 2342. When the daylight ambient is high the extra resolution of the 2342 especially up to 3meters is better. At distances longer than 3m the optical resolution quality of the lens limits any further optical benefits. However I notice at your pics at the gravel near your white door (which is around 3 meters away from your camera), the contrast and resolution is better at the 2335 than at the 2342. I get a feeling that the 2342 is slightly soft in contrast. I got the same impression with my cameras, the 2335 contrast ability is better than the 2342, which is explained by the fact that the 2335 has better low light sensitivity.
Soon I am expecting the 2335 at 4 and 6 mm and will post comparative views as well. Thank you for the pics.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, 2Mp = brain fade!

The way I look at it the contrast can be adjusted in the software. The poorer definition / focus annoys me more. I feel the optics could perhaps be improved? It would have a wider aperture lens than the 2342.
Looking at it now- in the dark- it looks good and has stayed in day mode.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has anyone searched for updated firmware for the DS-2CD2335WD-I ? I've looked at a couple of Hikvision's websites and there is firmware listed for that series, but I'm concerned about bricking the camera if I use an incorrect region.

(Background info: Mine are supposed to be upgradeable, so I asked the seller which region/ Hikvision website firmware I should use. I received a reply " you can download firmware from hikvision .hikviosion only have one website .thank you " :idk: )

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've been doing some more comparisons with the 2335FWD-I 6mm to the Dahua 5231R-Z Varifocal Starlight 2MP.

The 5231R-Z in low light (ie. at night using visible low power floodlights) loses a lot of contrast/ saturation in the image- which must be down to a difference in the firmware programming. The low contrast makes the scene look brighter (but washed out) and to me it doesn't actually help you see more detail in low light. I adjusted the 5231 to match the 2335's image at night (ie. I increased the saturation and contrast levels) and had them looking virtually identical. I found increasing the contrast on the 5231 quickly showed up a lot of noise in the darker areas (dimly lit shadows.) Come daylight- left on those settings- the 5231 had completely black shadows with little detail visible, whereas the 2335 had retained the shadow detail with the same night settings. So I had to readjust the 5231R-Z to where it was better in daylight and put up with the low contrast/ saturation image at night. In comparison, the 2335 actually requires a very low contrast level to get the best out of it during the day (shadow detail) and at night. Even set at these low contrast levels (ie. set around 30/100), it still displays vastly more contrast in images at night than the 5231 set at 50/100. During the day the images between the two are virtually identical.

Apart from the above issues, the two are virtually the same at night for low light vision in day/ colour mode. They'll both stay in colour with the LED floodlighting I use (both of them set to auto switch between day/ night) with a minimum of 1/25th sec exposure set. From what I've observed, if you can see something at night with your own eyes then both will also pick it up in the image.

The 5231R-Z Starlight obviously has more features- like the 2.7 to 12mm Varifocal lens and the built in microphone. If you're using a Hik NVR then the 5231 can be set to give notifications like motion events, but the NVR won't display Smart markers like it will for the Hik cameras. (A major drawback for me. You have to search through the recorded files for Events and then play them back individually- instead of them showing up as markers you can skip between on the timeline beneath the footage being played back.)

(Pictures to follow later.)

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Pictures- most captures from playback on the NVR (only able to get 1920x1080 off the NVR, so 3MP Hik is downsized.) Day pictures are both straight from camera GUI in native res. I've left the saturation high on the Dahua to try and improve the night image.

(The Dahua turret won't allow me to aim it any higher - so it doesn't quite match the Hik image.)

1/25th doesn't cut it for anything but slow movement.

Edit: I forgot to add the settings used on each camera - to give an idea how different the firmware settings are for the same conditions:

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the Hikvision looks a little better at night. Looking at the grass across the street in the daytime I would give a slight edge to the Dahua. By the way on my 5231 I turned off the IR and here are a couple of pictures. The tree is not lit up.

front_IP Camera8_front_20170604204851_9122800.jpg front_IP Camera8_front_20170530203000_42492930.jpg

Last edited:

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, the 5231R-Z with the varifocal electronic focus definitely seems to win in the clarity stakes. It's annoying ( for me) how much the image settings need to be changed to keep the ideal image with the flood lighting, when the 2335 is near perfect 24/7. However, I do like the built in microphone and the varifocal / zoom on the 5231R-Z.

It would be interesting to compare a fixed lens 5231- from one of Nayrs posts it had better clarity than his varifocal but wasn't quite as good at night. The contrast seemed better too.

Ps: I found switching to night mode without IR on was no better than colour/ day mode for noise.

jj1969

n3wb
Reaction score
Where can i get the hik 2335? Im in Calif.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk