Dual NIC setup on your Blue Iris Machine

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Net question is does your PoE switch show that it is supplying power to the camera and, if it has a network activity LED, is that LED blinking at all?

Seth01123

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, the switch I am using is the BV-Tech 10 Port PoE+ Industrial DIN Rail Switch. Attached is picture of the lights. The camera has been connected to the switch for about an hour or two and I think the camera is on because it is warm when I pick it up.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Move the PC over to the uplink port just for a laugh. I'm assuming the PC is the left cable and the camera is the right cable, correct?

Seth01123

n3wb
Reaction score
You are correct. the PC is the one on the left. I have moved the PC cable to slot 3 and kept the camera at slot 2, is that good?

Seth01123

n3wb
Reaction score
Am I doing things in the correct sequence? When I am configuring the nic settings the camera should be disconnected right? Are the settings not saving because I am keeping the camera disconnected?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's fine. Any change? I doubt it.

The camera can stay connected. It has no bearing on the configuration of the network interface on the machine.

Do you have a port scanner utility? I'm curious to see if your machine shows up in the 192.168.1.x subnet and also if the camera shows up. Just for a laugh, ping your machine from your machine and see what that says.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's the settings on this laptop. I do, on a rare occasion, need to access a new camera with it so I have a second IP configured.

IP cconfig advanced.JPG

Seth01123

n3wb
Reaction score
No changes, still cannot connect to camera. I have nmap but not sure how to do a port scan. Attached a screenshot of ping for this pc.

Attachments

Seth01123

n3wb
Reaction score
I am so confused. I have another PC that I have followed the exact same steps and had perfect results. Everything is working fine and the additional ip address does not get removed. I don't know what could be different.

Seth01123

n3wb
Reaction score
Would it work if I connected the camera to my real network and then went in and changed the ip address to be on the 192.168.55.x network? I know that is not the safest solution and that would be a last resort.

Seth01123

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, I plugged it into the working setup and was able to access the camera and change the ip to 192.168.55.40. Then when I plug it into the new setup I am now able to access the camera. So for now this will work with getting up an running. But I would really like to be able to fix this so I can do new camera setup on this PC. I am boggled at this point and don't know what could be causing the problem.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Ya got me. It should work, it seems to work on the other machine so it should work on any machine. Something strange is going on but I don't know what.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Only one of those NICs should have a gateway configured. Remove whichever GW is configured on the Camera network.

misterfredsr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone, my second NIC is up and working.
Just need to figure out why it won't work with openvpn.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@JJStats

The dual nic shields the cameras from the internet and the remainder of your home network. gDMSS will would on the computer with the Dual NIC, also any other computer that is on the second network. If you have team view on the computer with the dual NIC you should be able to access the cameras.
How would DMSS work on a dual nic setup? wouldn't the cams only be accessible on the dual nic BI computer and not the app on a phone on the main lan?

Its one of the reasons I haven't moved away from my VLAN setup, that and 1 wifi cam.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I mostly use UI3 and do not have the BI app, but DMSS is nice to have as an alternative but its main use is 2 way audio for one of the cameras which works perfectly. When using BI incoming audio from the cam is fine but sending audio from BI (not app), works buts it also eats some words which I was unable to resolve and just used DMSS.

I am considering moving the PoE cams from my IoT VLAN to the dual nic setup, just to save the network bandwidth. The 2 way audio cams is WiFi as well so makes sense to keep it on the IoT VLAN as setting up yet another AP do to its its location would be annoying.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I've done the dual NIC as well, but now in the process of consolidating the entire network doing VLAN segmentation, otherwise what's the point of managing a Unifi network :rofl: